Genii print and digital subscriptions

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Re: Genii print and digital subscriptions

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2007, 3:41 pm

If GENII goes pdf Im all in. even at full US subscription price. Im in Italy and it takes usually an extra 2 to 3 weeks before my copy arrives. By the time I get mine, next months copy is just about out in US. Just the time factor and shelf space savings alone is good enough for me.

Let me know if this ever happens Richard...

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » May 25th, 2007, 7:17 pm

I rather get Genii in mail than computer because I really enjoy the addition like DVD, 3-D glass, etc.! How can you ever get 3-D glasses downloading? I want to say to Richard Kaufman a "thank you" to turn down the idea on pdf! Keep up good "hard" work!

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 7:23 pm

There is one issue that you all have forgot to take into consideration. Do you really want to bring your laptop with you while your on the john.

:D

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 8:18 pm

I rather get Genii in mail than computer because I really enjoy the addition like DVD, 3-D glass, etc.! How can you ever get 3-D glasses downloading?
While I have no interest in a pdf version of Genii, online 3D is very possible and very effective.

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Are we not tired of hearing Chris Wasshuber ONCE AGAIN reminding us that the advantage to ebooks...... and a digital GENII is ......SPEED and SEARCHABILITY?.....honestly, I like to read GENII from cover to cover ......SLOWLY ...enjoying every page and every article!! :D ....and for the record, Clay: I would not want GENII in any other form...I like it just the way it is!! :D

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 9:38 am

I love stumbling upon stashes old Magic Magazines in second hand bookstores and antique malls. Flipping through the brittle yellow pages and reading the old articles and looking at the dated black and white photo's. I especially enjoy looking at the ads and seeing how little they've changed over the years.
Digital magazines will rob me of this joy.
A magazine from a hundred years ago is just as readable today as it was the day it was published. A digital magazine won't be readable a century from now unless you keep rolling over the data to new formats and media. How much data today is trapped, unreadable on old floppy disks that our new computers no longer have drives for.
I love the compactness and search ability of e-books but from a historical perspective e-media should be secondary while old fashion print media should be the primary source.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 29th, 2007, 12:31 pm

My only post on this boring thread is:

1: Chris should have PRIVATELY sent a written proposal to Richard.

2: He should not have made it a public issue.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Mr Biro, you are quite right. But Chris seems to find it impossible to post on any other subject.

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 2:05 pm

A magazine from a hundred years ago is just as readable today as it was the day it was published. A digital magazine won't be readable a century from now unless you keep rolling over the data to new formats and media.
Payne you too are joking right? We arent talking about BETA versus VHS here.
A good six months to year and a paper magazine begins to wear. Let alone storage issues. Unless you are a collector I would say a couple of years of magiazines is tops for me then...donated or thrown away.
And "Data rollover" is what everyone with a minor knowledge of a computer is able and SHOULD do on a regular basis. Ever hear of disc backup?
How much data today is trapped, unreadable on old floppy disks that our new computers no longer have drives for.
None. It was converted to cd or dvd discs years ago...
The issue then becomes a matter of choice those who like it in its paper form fine...those who like it in pdf why not...Like Burger King used to say "Have it your way!"...

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 4:16 pm

The issue then becomes a matter of choice those who like it in its paper form fine...those who like it in pdf why not...Like Burger King used to say "Have it your way!"...
You mean the next covermount gift will be a couple of rashers of bacon and some onion rings? Yay!

Jon

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Anyone who reads magazines such as "Wired" regularly knows that the prediction of the death of such things such as books, magazines, music CD's and DVD's have been proclaimed for well over a decade. The thinking is that now that we have this wonderful world wide information system we can just download and read/listen/watch on any number of electronic devices and we no longer need to clutter our lives with "things."
The problem is, people like "things." In this argument people like to hold and feel a magazine. It has dimensions and weight that makes it real and it is nice to have them, not only to hold but to keep and store and reference and re-read etc.
On a lazy Saturday, I like to look at all the DVD's I have nicely lined up on the shelves by the TV to decide if I want to watch one. I like to take a movie from the shelf, open it, take out the DVD and put it in my player and when I have watched the movie I like to reverse the process and them make sure that, when the DVD is placed back on the shelf that they are all lined up nice and straight. And it will be a long, cold day in hell before I let anyone take that away from me.
But then, what do I know? I still think LP's sound better than CD's.

Gord

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 29th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Actually Gord, it's been much longer than just one decade. I remember when PCs first came out in the 1970s that predictions saying print will be dead by the end of the century started running rampant.

My company uses more paper now (on a per employee basis) that it did in the 1980s.

Dustin

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 5:23 pm

And just why is that Dustin? I do hope its because business is good and steadily improving...

Apart from the ecological advantages, the technology available today would suggest, however, the ability to do otherwise...

And Gord, given the temperatures in Ontario, you may well be closer to listening to CDs than you think... :)
You mean the next covermount gift will be a couple of rashers of bacon and some onion rings? Yay!
Or if you prefer...blackpudding would do the trick...

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 29th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Not that you really care, but yes, my company is doing very well, thank you.

Hardcopy is a necessity of our business: Our clients and customers want it that way.

Dustin

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 7:37 pm

What do we really need paper copies for anyway? I would type more but I have to get in my flying car and go to the 7-Eleven. Oh, that's right my flying car has not been invented as of yet, but anytime now...... :D

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2007, 2:38 am

Flying Car you said?

Return to “General”