the "pop" in decks

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Irving Quant

the "pop" in decks

Postby Irving Quant » November 25th, 2008, 10:26 pm

What makes a deck "pop"? This is when you press the center of the deck and it bevels and then returns to it's shape making a popping sound.

Last Friday I had a problem while performing on a theater. I've never had that problem before, and I thought that the reason why decks do that is because of high humidity and heat. I know it was something in the atmosphere of that particular theater because I've done shows in theaters for a few years now and never have that problem. This theater had air conditioning and even humidity control. It made my card work (with the aid of a projector of course) very difficult, so now I'm looking for ways to prevent this from happening ever again.

Roger M.

Re: the "pop" in decks

Postby Roger M. » November 25th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Some decks come right out of the box like this.
I throw them away as I find them useless.

More than usual from Bicycle lately.....bad cuts?...dull blades?.....damp factory?

Luigi Anzivino

Postby Luigi Anzivino » November 26th, 2008, 2:17 am

I've always thought that it is cold temperatures that warp decks in that way. Leaving a deck of cards sitting outside of the box on a chilly day will make them "pop".

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » November 26th, 2008, 10:15 am

From experience I know that if you leave a deck in the car, when it is hot, the deck will start to pop a lot. But it throws me off now that it happened in the theater where the air conditioning was there. Any of you guys do card work in a theater or have had this happened during a show?

Bob Plaut

Postby Bob Plaut » November 26th, 2008, 10:20 am

If I keep a deck in a Porper card holder, it straightens the deck and removes the pop.

Richard Green
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger; Dr. Stanley Jaks

Postby Richard Green » November 27th, 2008, 12:29 am

I've been using a deck press for that, Bob. Seems to get out that 'pop' no matter how many cards you put in it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2008, 11:36 am

It's the humidity. As Bob notes, keeping your deck in a Porper Card Clip will eliminate any problem.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » November 28th, 2008, 4:59 pm

"I had two bags. I checked one and carried the other confidently past the security guards to the X-ray machine. No trouble. I boarded the plane and took my seat.

"I opened the suitcase and was greeted by the strange smiles of a gross of Tally-Ho number 9's from the U.S. Playing Card Company in Cincinnati. Private stock. A little thicker than usual. Precision cut edges. The real work.

"I checked the lining of the suitcase I had specially designed to withstand the changing pressure on airplanes which so frequently causes cards to warp or bristle with a horrible cracking sound that drives me crazy. No problem now. I snapped the suitcase shut and placed it carefully under my seat."

--Ricky Jay, "Cards As Weapons"

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » November 30th, 2008, 11:46 am

hmm...seems like a mixture of pressure,high humidity (and apparently very dry air), and heat cause the warping. I have a special carrying case myself that is hermetically sealed, but obviously it won't work the moment I take out the cards in setup for the show.

A while back I thought it was perhaps the type of glue that is in the middle of cards (in case you don't know, bikes are really made up of 4 layers, not three. The middle thick layer can be split in two by putting it in water. The middle of the card is made out of this black glue. I discovered that by accident after working on a card trick with a fish tank...long story :) ) Perhaps this glue has chemical properties that contract with all of the above factors?

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » December 2nd, 2008, 7:15 am

If you double lift turnover the top two cards on the deck, you can let both cards (as one)spin by making a quick move outwards off the reel!

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » December 10th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Un-popping a deck:

Faro the deck together half face up, half face down. Put in card box and put in a tight card guard/clip. Place in freezer over night. (will work sans clip, butt, clip is better)
The cold and moisture seems to work wonders.
I have done this dozens of times. It even worked on an old "New" fan back deck I found in the bottom of a box of junk. After freezer it was like new.
:)
Ed

Return to “General”