New York City Magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jamie D. Grant

New York City Magic

Postby Jamie D. Grant » November 2nd, 2008, 8:51 pm

Hi Everyone!

Well, it's official- I'll be in NYC next week from Saturday morning (Nov. 08) until Tuesday afternoon (Nov.11).

I'm totally into any suggestions people have in the way of visiting magic landmarks or just meeting up. My schedule's already a bit crazy but I'd love to meet some people if time permits.

Sked so far includes:

Tannen's (prob Saturday)
Fantasma
Cafe Rustico II (I hear some people hang out there Saturday afternoons?)
Steve Cohen's Chamber Magic
Rogue's Magic
Monday Night Magic

Anything else to suggest?

Thanks!

jamie d. grant

David Thomas

Re: New York City Magic

Postby David Thomas » November 2nd, 2008, 8:54 pm

Just missing the NY coin magic seminar, huh? Your schedule is all I can think of that has to do w/ magic in NY. Enjoy New York!

David

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » November 2nd, 2008, 9:19 pm

There might also be a Saturday group that gathers at Maui Tacos 42nd street and 5th Ave., basement floor on Saturday afternoons. You can usually catch Doug Edwards there.

Climb the Empire state building after hours, they are open till 2am I think.

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » November 3rd, 2008, 11:43 pm

Maui Tacos- check. How about Cafe Rustic II? Do people still go there?

~jamie

Brian W

Postby Brian W » November 4th, 2008, 6:52 am

Don't forget Eric Decamp's show on Sunday afternoon! Check the buzz section for the info.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 4th, 2008, 7:45 am

Simon Lovell's show still running on a Saturday night, depending which night you are going to see Cohen...

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » November 4th, 2008, 9:23 am

Jamie D. Grant wrote:How about Cafe Rustic II? Do people still go there?

I haven't been there in about a year or so, but I'm fairly certain that folks are still gathering there. You can meet up with Sol Stone, Wesley James, occasionally Bob Friedhoffer, as well as a bunch of other guys. Some of them later walk over to Maui Taco. Tannen's is also in that same area -- for a while, I was hitting three to four of those places (including Fantasma, which is a bit further away, but still in walking distance) every Saturday.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

DChung

Postby DChung » November 4th, 2008, 12:16 pm

You should definitely check out Eric's show. It's a Cabaret-type show of intimate magic. And this weekend is opening night.

Full information is available at http://www.ericdecamps.com

It's on Sunday afternoons at 4pm at:

the Metropolitan Room
34 West 22nd street, NY, NY

For tickets, call 212-206-0440
or go to http://metropolitanroom.com

Best,
Derrick

In the interest of full disclosure, I am involved with Eric's show, but that doesn't change the fact it's a must-see.

JordanL

Postby JordanL » November 4th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Cafe Rustic II Usually gathers a little earlier ion the afternoon, Maui Taco a bit later( people start showing around 2), both are in the same general area, not far from Tannens, and Fantasma.

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » November 5th, 2008, 10:21 am

Awesome!

I just picked up tix for Eric DeCamp's show so it's Steve Cohen on Saturday night, Eric DeCamp on Sunday afternoon, and Monday Night Magic on, well, Monday night.

Jim (Maloney)- was your sked like on Saturday mornings> Was it Tannen's at 10 then over to Fantasma for 11, then Cafe Rustico, then Maui's?

Thanks everyone,

jamie
www.whatizit.net

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » November 5th, 2008, 11:40 am

Jamie,
I'd usually hit up Fantasma first, around noon or so for about an hour, then over to Tannen's, again for about an hour or two, depending on what was going on. Then I'd go get lunch at Rustico. Most often I'd stay there until 6:00, occasionally (though not very often) hopping over to Maui Taco for a short while, but always going back to Rustico and finishing up the day there.

Jordan's right about the time frame: people start gathering at Rustico around noon, maybe earlier, and between 2:00 and 3:00 a bunch head over to Maui Taco.

I agree with Derrick about Eric's show. I haven't seen his current incarnation, but I did catch his show about a year(?) or so ago, and it was quite good. I'd highly recommend stopping in there if you can.

-Jim
BTW: Derrick, are you gonna be around in the next few weeks? I may actually have an opportunity to get into the city sometime this month...
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » November 6th, 2008, 2:04 am

Thanks for the sked advice Jim!

And thanks to everyone else as well! I'm planning on starting off at Tannen's at around tennish on Saturday morning in case anyone wants to swing by and say "Hello"...

Best!

jamie

Return to “General”