Al Baker has arrived!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Al Baker has arrived!

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2003, 5:25 pm

I just returned from vacation to find Todd Karr's new book on Al Baker waiting for me. What a huge mother! Looks great! More Al Baker stuff that ANYONE has EVER seen ANYWHERE.
Holy crap!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Carl Mercurio

Re: Al Baker has arrived!

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 5th, 2003, 6:14 pm

Great post. Can't wait to get mine...

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 5th, 2003, 7:55 pm

Glad you like it, Richard. And everyone should applaud you for your many contributions.

Customers should be receiving their copies very soon!

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2003, 6:01 am

Todd - are you going to use that quote in the advertising?
"Holy crap" - Richard Kaufman.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 7th, 2003, 8:34 am

Dom:
You should hear what he REALLY said!
Todd

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » May 15th, 2003, 12:49 am

I'm wondering if the postman kept mine...I'm looking for it, along with last month's copy of Maxim! :(
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 15th, 2003, 1:33 am

Hi, Vic:

All the regular editions were mailed out this week (Baker, not Maxim).

Your amazing deluxe edition will be sent as soon as the craftsmen who make the custom cases finish and ship them to Seattle. They've promised them for this week, so hopefully they will arrive promptly. The builders have to wait until the book's actually been printed to properly size the wood cases, and they just received Baker last week. Our apologies for the delay!

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2003, 8:22 am

Got my copy a few days ago and have yet to put it down. The chapter by Teller on Mr. Baker's baking a cake in the hat (complete with the cake recipe) is alone worth the price of the book. I at long last know how to correctly use the Morrisey cake pan I got at a swap meet years ago.

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » May 15th, 2003, 10:54 am

I'd just like to add that my post was not a complaint, just an expression of anticipation in receiving a much awaited book. (And box)
Todd Karr and The Miracle Factory are first class, and I thank Todd for e-mailing me about the book.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 17th, 2003, 8:32 am

Thank you, Payne and Vic.

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » May 17th, 2003, 9:25 am

Todd:

Got my copy today in Atlanta. Thank you for this amazing tome!

JMT

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 17th, 2003, 11:14 am

Todd -- Al BAker arrived in New York City.

Now I'm off to the workshop.

Not the magic workshop. The woodwork shop. I need to build another bookcase to hold this monster.

Matt Field

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 18th, 2003, 5:54 pm

Joe and Matt: Glad you're pleased with the book! Happy woodworking, Matt.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 19th, 2003, 6:27 am

After an attempt at humor, I'll get serious about this book.

I own most of the Al Baker books in the original editions, and they cost me a few bucks to acquire. I was unsure about spending more money to essentially purchase the same material again in the new volume, but Richard Kaufman told me there was lots of new material so I sprang for the purchase, and am I glad I did.

This book contains the Al Baker books, alright, but the additional material alone would be worth the price. Eugene Burger and Jay Marshall write excellent introductions, but Teller's piece is nothing short of spectacular. Included are Baker's trick instruction sheets, his magazine pieces, and previously unpublished notebook entries -- hundreds of pages of material.

There are essays by both Max Maven and Phil Goldstein (is this a first in the same volume?) with amazing material relating to Ted Annemann, another of my heroes. Did I mention that Al Baker is one of my heroes?

I'm skipping around in the 900+ pages, since as I said I've already read the Al Baker books, but there is just so much material here, fronm cards to stage pieces to thread work to ventriloquism, that I am simply overwhelmed. And, yes, you can bet I'll be rereading "Pet Secrets," "Magical ways and Means" and "Mental Magic" again for the fabulous material they contain and for the sheer pleasure of spending time with Mr. Baker.

And the photographs!

A masterful job, Todd. Thank you for your fine effort.

Matt Field

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 19th, 2003, 6:30 am

Got my Baker book. See you guys in July when I emerge from my first reading....

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 19th, 2003, 4:12 pm

Wow, thank you, Matt. It's very fulfilling to hear that all the work was worth the effort. Carl: see you in July...pace yourself and remember to eat and sleep!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 19th, 2003, 7:17 pm

The book is magnificent. Though I shall be dipping into it often, I just placed it on my "best" book shelf just to see it among the others. I immediately checked out the tricks that John Carney recommended. I had to laugh at the Rabbit Production; though it is indeed ingenious, there is also a bit of a surprise in store for the rabbit. Numerous magicians are thanked for helping out, and while those thanks could be for any number of reasons large or small, I can't help but wonder about the relationship between Al Baker and Steranko. All in all just a great work, like receiving an entire Tarbell series at once.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 20th, 2003, 12:23 pm

Steve
Thanks for the kind words!

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2003, 4:35 pm

I just recieved the book today WOW. The fact that it arrived on the same day that I handed in my History Textbook is not a Coincidence.

Noah Levine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 20th, 2003, 6:52 pm

Got mine today. Nicely done indeed, Todd. It's the first time I've ever heard my wife say, "Oooh, it's so big!"

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 20th, 2003, 6:55 pm

Noah: Thank you! Dustin: What a compliment!

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2003, 7:05 pm

I saw 'my' copy at the magic store today, but wasn't prepared for the price. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. I leafed through it, and I can see the first night or two will be just reading the introductions.

I'd say 'holy crap' is a good exclamation of the high quality and quantity of what I saw in the book today. It will be months to go through it all.

CardFan

Postby CardFan » May 20th, 2003, 7:24 pm

Mine arrived yesterday. What an amazing book...It's worth every penny. Congratulations, Todd!

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2003, 3:17 pm

All of you be damned! Now I'm going to have to get it....
Steve V

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » May 21st, 2003, 3:30 pm

Originally posted by Steve V':
All of you be damned! Now I'm going to have to get it....
Steve V
Right...what Steve said..

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 21st, 2003, 4:13 pm

Joey, Mark, Steve, and John: All of us involved in the book say thank you for your kind words.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » May 21st, 2003, 7:33 pm

Okay, here's torture:

My copy arrived today, May 21, in Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC suburb). It's still sitting upstairs in the box because I had a gig this evening. It'll probably sit either in the box or on the table for the next three days, because I have day job in the day, a rehearsal tomorrow night, and a magic convention to help run on Friday and Saturday.

If I sit down with it, I'm afraid I won't stand up...

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » May 21st, 2003, 10:25 pm

Quick note about the deluxe editions: the case maker has finished our custom boxes and has shipped them to Seattle. As soon as we receive them, we will load in the books and send them off.

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » May 25th, 2003, 2:09 am

The Al Baker book arrived in Copenhagen yesterday - what a treat !
For someone who has never read any of the Baker books before, getting them all at the same time (+ all the extra material) is totally overwhelming.
Browsing through the book, my eyes fell on the "The great purse game" (page 555), which I'm definately going to try out. In the instructions to this trick it is stated that originally "a specially treated purse are supplied". Does anybody know what this special treatment would be? - as far as I can figure out the described handling does not necessitate the use of a special purse ?

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » May 25th, 2003, 9:37 am

I am really looking forward to the book as well. It has been quite a week for me. Not only did I win the Baker book in the magic auction at Chazpro, I just received my copy of Todd's reprint of Sam (love that name!) Sharpe's Neo-Magic Artistry from Magic Books By Post in Bristol (that book was hard to find!). I definitely need to retire. Just ain't enough hours in the day! ;)

Steve V

Postby Steve V » May 25th, 2003, 4:18 pm

Hello. Is this book in magic shops or do I order from the publisher? If so, can some one please post a link for me. Thank you.
Steve V
Steve V

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2003, 5:06 pm

It is available at magic shops, but you can also order it from the publisher:
www.miraclefactory.org
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Nethery
Favorite Magician: Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki

Postby David Nethery » May 27th, 2003, 3:47 pm

I spent the Memorial Day weekend reading Al Baker , inbetween doing other fun stuff with the family at St. Augustine, Florida .

Great book. Lives up to what I expected . After this and Germain I will buy at least one of everything the Miracle Factory puts out .

Off the subject: I walked into a magic shop in St. Augustine. Guy was pitching Pen Thru Bill (knock off version even though they had a legit. Perfect Pen on the shelf ) and some other stuff. I browsed the shelves....... suddenly, what to my wondering eyes should appear , but a copy of the Kauffman & Co. printing of "Greater Magic" . "Yeah , baby ! I've scored big" , I'm thinking . I ask the guy to wrap it up for me. He says, "Oh, I'm just minding the shop for the weekend , don't know the price , let me call the boss" . Makes call to boss. "Not for sale, it's a collector's item, only for display" says the boss. Let me make an offer , says I. "Nope, not for sale" is the answer .

What kind of sadist puts a book on display at a magic shop with no intention of selling it ? (it was next to the Tarbell Course , Card College, and Modern Coin Magic by Bobo )

Why no little card on the shelf saying : "Not for Sale" ?

:mad:

End of rant .

Postby Guest » May 27th, 2003, 4:15 pm

I almost bought a copy of Kaufmans re-issue of Greater Magic that one of the used book dealers had at Kramien's Jamboree this last weekend. But due to the fact that I had already way overspent my budget between Steven fine selection of props and DVDs, Whit Hayden's Schools for Scoundrels products and a fine Card Box from House of Babcock I had to forgo adding this classic to my collection. The fact that the Baker Book has filled the few remaining inches that I had left on my magic bookshelf also entered into the equation.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » May 27th, 2003, 4:25 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying my copy of the Baker book. The most delightful sections so far have been Al's Magazine contributions (Letters to Harold), and the way Al takes Magicians to task for being unimaginative and or boorish. And he does it in a most entertaining style. If you haven't purchased this book yet, do it now.....Run...even if no one is chasing you... :)
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » May 27th, 2003, 11:12 pm

Originally posted by payne:
I almost bought a copy of Kaufmans re-issue of Greater Magic that one of the used book dealers had at Kramien's Jamboree this last weekend. But due to the fact that I had already way overspent my budget
"You should've bought a T-shirt." (With respects to Kathy Bates in Rat Race.) :rolleyes:

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2003, 8:02 am

Originally posted by Vic Brisbin:
"You should've bought a T-shirt." (With respects to Kathy Bates in Rat Race. :rolleyes:
I was going to except I was expecting to get one as a prize for taking second in the stage contest. :D

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » May 28th, 2003, 9:04 am

Dear Award-Winning Payne: Congratulations! Let me know the size you'd like and I'll send you one. For the rest of our magical friends, we have just a few souvenir shirts left from this great event. E-mail me now if you'd care to participate, and you can obtain your very own special classic shirt. :cool:

Vic "Primo Ink" Brisbin

Now back to Al Baker!

Return to “General”