Jacob Daley

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jinx

Jacob Daley

Postby Jinx » July 10th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Out of curiosity, Has anyone ever thought about a biography or book on him? What is the chance of a rewrite of his notes? I can't help but think there is a lot of good stuff missing from this guy.

J
"There's a lot of good magic in that book, to bad you have to have skill to do most of it".

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jacob Daley

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm

There's a lot on Daley out there, but with almost everyone who knew him well know deceased, it would be difficult to get the real work on his material. But there are people who have made sense out of more entries in the Daley notebooks than you would think, plus he published a lot in magazines.
One thing that Oscar Weigle told me was that Daley handled cards very daintily, and they used to tease him about it because he was fat, with pudgy fingers,.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 11th, 2008, 4:06 pm

In the introduction to Volume One of the recent 'Castle Notebooks' there is something of interest. It is mentioned that a future publication to do with the Daley Notebooks is being planned. Details were very scant - but reading between the lines - I think it is an annotated re-print of the Daley Notebooks with notes from Cervon and Vernon. If my guess is correct then this would be great news. I have read alot of magic books and the Daley notebooks are easily the hardest I have read. Any help for us for simpletons would be brilliant.

Over to you 'L+L'...

Joe

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » July 11th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Yes, that whetted my appetite too.

Although Vernon already gave his input to the original - so it is probably more Cervon.

Best of all would be some wiki thing where anyone could post their ideas on each entry...but regardless of any copyright issues, who would devote the time to setting it up?

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 11th, 2008, 5:53 pm

So what's wrong with "being fat, with pudgy fingers"...doesn't sound Politically Correct....

GO

LOL
Last edited by George Olson on July 11th, 2008, 5:55 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Correct quote

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2008, 7:30 pm

There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but the way he handled cards seemed at odds with his physicality.

J Bright

Postby J Bright » July 12th, 2008, 5:13 am

Cervon talked briefly about the Daley notes on Volume 2 (I think it was V2) of the Vernon Chronicles vhs series.

Larry Jennings copy of the Daley Notebooks was auctioned about 10 years ago. The auction stated Larry had made some notes inside. Jennings thoughts on the Daley notes would certainly be interesting to read.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 12th, 2008, 11:05 am

The 'Wiki' idea is a brilliant one. It would be ideal for a book such as the Daley one. Indeed, I can imagine the 'Wiki' idea being extended to other books in magic - perhaps this will be a new way to use the internet to further the art of magic?

Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2008, 11:23 am

From what I understand (can't recall who told me this) when Frank Csuri transcribed the notes from Daley's handwritten notebooks, he consistently misunderstood certain letters in Daley's handwriting. So there are errors throughout the existing transcription.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 12th, 2008, 12:01 pm

El Mystico wrote:Best of all would be some wiki thing where anyone could post their ideas on each entry...but regardless of any copyright issues, who would devote the time to setting it up?

We have a wiki available right here, hosted by Genii, called " MagicPedia! Here is the biography for Dr. Daley if anyone can help contribute.

Free free to start up pages for any other book too!

I just started the Jacob Daley's Notebooks page which anyone can edit.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 12th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Anyone who has interested in Dr Daley should check out Peter Duffie's website. It has an index to the Daley Notebooks - very useful...

http://www.erdnase.plus.com/

Joe

J Bright

Postby J Bright » July 12th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Vernon said on the Revelations series that Csuri confused "Anonymous" with "Annemann" since Daley's handwriting was hard to read. So Annemann was credited with items he never created. I'm not sure if this was ever corrected.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 13th, 2008, 8:48 am

It'd be interesting to get a look at the original notes (in Daley's handwriting) and have several people go over them to see if they can find anything like that. There's a number of places where Csuri just left a blank line because he was unable to decipher Daley's writing. Makes me wonder if several people were looking at the notes if they could figure out what they say.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » July 15th, 2008, 1:46 pm

J Bright wrote:The auction stated Larry had made some notes inside. Jennings thoughts on the Daley notes would certainly be interesting to read.

I'm guessing they would be impossible to read
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 2nd, 2018, 9:34 am

Joe Mckay wrote:In the introduction to Volume One of the recent 'Castle Notebooks' there is something of interest. It is mentioned that a future publication to do with the Daley Notebooks is being planned. Details were very scant - but reading between the lines - I think it is an annotated re-print of the Daley Notebooks with notes from Cervon and Vernon. If my guess is correct then this would be great news. I have read alot of magic books and the Daley notebooks are easily the hardest I have read. Any help for us for simpletons would be brilliant.

Over to you 'L+L'...

Joe

Raising this Zombie thread to ask if anyone has heard any more rumors about this potential project?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 4th, 2018, 12:06 pm

The Cervon annotations of the Daley Notebooks were sold in his auction.
I've not been able to find who bought them. So I don't know what their plans are.
But certainly it is fair to assume that the original plans are changed.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » June 4th, 2018, 2:28 pm

They did not sell at the auction. I bought them from Linda Cervon afterwards.

The Daley book is in the works. Just not by me.

Return to “General”