Magicpedia suggestion

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Magicpedia suggestion

Postby 000 » June 13th, 2008, 3:45 am

Re Magicpedia

I have a suggestion which may or may not have been discussed.
Under the Bibliography sections of Magicpedia, why not post a link to an (appropiate) performance clip from the dreaded You Tube.( Sankey excluded!) Amongst a multitude of acne inspired performances and exposure, lurks good stuff! It would really bring the biographies to life! ( for those on film) Al Flosso, The Blackstones, Sorcar, Thurston, Houdini, Henning, Jennings, Ed Marlo, Fred Kaps, Richard Ross and many many many more.
Its just a suggestion, takes up no Xtra bandwidth.

I would love to read a biography,( on Magicpedia) say Fred Kaps, and on the page it states....and here is a link to his first FISM award winning performance..... And here he peforms the Salt Pour. Or eg Richard Ross...and here is a link to his famous 3 ring linking ring routine...get my drift?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Magicpedia suggestion

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 7:12 am

Thanks. That is in the process and we have already embedded some videos just as you suggest as in the Fred Kaps Biography.

We are looking for people to find them on youtube and add more. Please help out!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby 000 » June 13th, 2008, 8:05 am

Pardon, any difference between posting a You Tube link and having a video 'embedded'? Doesnt one assume ownership when embedding a video, and are limited in numbers?( 2000?) Does it use up 'Genii ' bandwidth? I would appreciate a link to 'how to embed' Also would you like the videos as a seperate at the end, or would it be fine to weave videos into the autobiographical material?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 8:16 am

I'm not sure about the ownership part. I'll let Brad and Richard comment on that.

I just know that MagicPedia has the capability to embed them and instructions can be found here Help:Video

I don't think it uses any of Genii's bandwidth since it's not really hosting the video, just passing it through to your browser, but I could be wrong.

I think weaving them in would be a nice touch if you can make it look good.
- Joe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2008, 9:22 am

Embedding a video does not imply ownership. Everyone all over the internet is embedding YouTube video frames in their websites. This is encouraged by YouTube.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 9:47 am

I just looked at YouTube's terms of service and didn't notice any limits to the number of video's you can embed.

erlandish

Postby erlandish » June 13th, 2008, 10:01 am

Embedded videos have the same data relationship that hotlinked images do, meaning that the bandwidth comes straight from Youtube rather than being used up through Genii. I've got a Youtube video on my webpage and I've noticed that it doesn't use up any of my site's bandwidth in the stats.

The only issue in whether or not the video can be embedded is whether or not the person who uploaded it to Youtube in the first place wants it embedded. They can deny that. I suppose there's also an issue of copyright over a video... if the copyright owner doesn't want it up there, they can petition Youtube to have it taken down, in which case it won't be available for any kind of viewing, not just embedded.

Postby 000 » June 13th, 2008, 10:31 am

Thank you, and if weaved into the autobiograpy any way of making the 'embedded clip' smaller (on the page)( look at the Fred Kaps link above to see what I mean) so it doesnt dominate the writing part ( thumbtip size?)

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 11:03 am

Yes, check the help out. There is a {{Youtube thumb}} template you can use. It just may be hard to position it where you want. Try it out and if you need help let me know.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2008, 11:04 am

You don't want the embedded video the size of a postage stamp or it's difficult to see. I think the current size we have serves the purpose well and I wouldn't want to see them any smaller.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby 000 » June 13th, 2008, 11:25 am

And reducing them ( the embedded videos)to writing for? eg

Fred Kaps, 1956, FISM performance.
Fred Kaps, 1968, Salt Pour, Dutch Television

And list them under a heading; Video clips.
Then by clicking on the writing,( a line) the clip comes up?
Would be less unsightly and easy on the eye, especially if there are a few clips. And if one is able,( ie has the information) list them in a timeline as above ie 1956,1968 etc. Adds historical perspective and interest

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Go ahead and update a biography as you are suggesting and let's see how it looks.

I would like to see a nice format for all biographies to follow.

Here is another biography that has a video: Tony_Slydini
- Joe

Postby 000 » June 13th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Sorry Joe, what I am asking is whether an 'embedded video' can be reduced to writing as I outlined above?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 13th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Yes, you can (if I understand what you are saying).
I put an example in the Fred Kaps article. When you click on the link, it will scroll you down automatically to the clip.

Nourdin

Postby Nourdin » June 14th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Joe Pecore wrote:Thanks. That is in the process and we have already embedded some videos just as you suggest as in the Fred Kaps Biography.

We are looking for people to find them on youtube and add more. Please help out!

... wow
I have really enjoyed that. I really feel entertained. How amazing it must have been in real live.

All of you can do something similair like that? I mean, this is pretty Extreeeeeemely amazing...
Erdnase !

Return to “General”