r paul wilson

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Nourdin

r paul wilson

Postby Nourdin » May 19th, 2008, 4:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDaLtk1u5k

In this ( very impressive ! ) video he performs a bottom deal.
At minute 1.15 is the specific action,

Now I'm not sure what he does but it looks like erdnase and mechanic. Does anyone know this?

edit:
( If someone also happends to know how he does this I would love to know. I think he serves but I'm not sure.)

edit 2:
wow. its not even bottom dealing. !!
yeesh what is this !

ok. but the part where he really does perform the bottom deal. what's that like?

omg this guy is amazing...
Nourdin
Erdnase !

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: r paul wilson

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 19th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Looks like a Second Deal. And it could be Damien Nieman's hands as well as Paul's. I can't tell.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 19th, 2008, 5:23 pm

As I recall the action at 1.15 is an Erdnase bottom deal done by Jason England. The bottom deal from below is Damian (he has the distinctive ring). The false shuffle on glass was Paul, but most of the moves were Jason.

The bit at the end (from the Sting) was, of couse, Scarne.

Take care, Ian

Nourdin

Postby Nourdin » May 19th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I am a 100 % sure I can do all the erdnase 'well' by time.
the damn bottom deal is just soooo bizarre.

I could train the mechanic but that one issn't deceptive. (at least I don't know how to )

always used paper. today I bought plastic. Shuffling a lot to get the hang of it since it a million times slippery.

I just need to know which bottom deal is the best one for not noticing so I can train that one for the rest of my life.

----

Jason England. I have heard about this person so many times now on this forum. Does he have a article somewhere ( about the bottom deal ? ). I'm getting so much great replies ( which is a lot already since I never had some place to go to ) but none is helping me out in a practical way.

The Erdnase will keep me sweet for a long time. But the bottom deal... I just don't know what to do.
Erdnase !

Green Skittle

Postby Green Skittle » May 19th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Excellent, I tried finding this movie in stores recently just to watch the sleights in the intro. Thanks to the Bucks for editing and uploading this.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » May 19th, 2008, 9:02 pm

If you're looking for the movie "Shade," the folks at Barnes and Noble here in Wichita ordered it for me. It was only about ten bucks, and there's a lot of cool stuff on it. The movie is very interesting, and the DVD extras are quite entertaining.

r paul wilson

Postby r paul wilson » May 20th, 2008, 6:09 am

Here's a more accurate count of who does what in this sequence:

On display are eight items performed by Jason England, three by Damian Nieman, three from Earl Nelson (though the last hop may be from Damian)and ten items performed by me.

The final scene is, indeed, John Scarne and is still one of my favorite sequences, not least because of the excellent way the camera moves to Paul Newman without any obvious cuts or pauses.

P

r paul wilson

Postby r paul wilson » May 20th, 2008, 6:09 am

Here's a more accurate count of who does what in this sequence:

On display are eight items performed by Jason England, three by Damian Nieman, three from Earl Nelson (though the last hop may be from Damian)and ten items performed by me.

The final scene is, indeed, John Scarne and is still one of my favorite sequences, not least because of the excellent way the camera moves to Paul Newman without any obvious cuts or pauses.

P

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » May 20th, 2008, 7:32 am

If you liked that you might like this neat clip of advertising that a group called "Fast Company" put on youtube to promote a DVD that they put out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZwOsR-EGA

Here is the web site for the DVD if your interested - the clip on youtube is very good.

http://www.fastcompanydvd.com

Nourdin

Postby Nourdin » May 20th, 2008, 11:02 am

hmmm
it looks good glenn
lol, 80 bucks
thats like 50 euro. life sucks when poor..
Arent there articles or something. Where he shares his knowledge for free?

I still might buy it though. it looks really good. he explains several bottom deals. Just don't understand why everything in this category has to do with money
Erdnase !

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2008, 11:21 am

You know what pisses me off more than almost anything else? When people think that things should be free. [censored]. People practice for years, strive to create, and produce a product. All of that costs time and money and folks on the internet thing it should be free. [censored].

Save your hard-earned money and invest. You'll have more respect for a product you've invested in.

Nourdin

Postby Nourdin » May 20th, 2008, 11:35 am

I understand your point.
But I guess reading this means you never had a problem with money.
some ( me >_< ) just don't have it and use all their money to pay the insurance, school, food, the ( goddamn ) rent.
paying for this is ok. investment like u said. But it would be sooo much 'easier' if it would be free. not because it "should" be so.
Erdnase !

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2008, 12:09 pm

I've had problems with money in my life, but I did not expect to be given stuff for free! You learn to do without.

Nourdin

Postby Nourdin » May 20th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Exactly. you learn to do without.
That's why I asked if there were articles by him about his bottom deal.
I don;t want you to get pissed off at me lol
Erdnase !

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm

The "I-want-it-for-free" culture of the internet is driving stores who won't discount out of business, driving magic shops and other niche market shops out of business, and driving small magazines out of business.

Considering all the work and time invested here on the Forum, don't you think I'd charge for it if I could? But folks on the internet want it for free. Even a $10 per year charge for this Forum would be too much for the "I-want-it-free" culture.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » May 20th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I'd pony up ten bucks a year. The forum is worth far more than that. And I work in public radio. As Dick Cavett said about public TV, "You have to save up for jobs like these."

Jason England

Postby Jason England » May 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Incidentally,

The move in question at 1:15 in the first YouTube clip is a Greek deal. Although the beginning was cut off slightly, there are four aces face up under the Joker on bottom.

Jason

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 20th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Aaand, I stand corrected. Many thanks.

Ian

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » May 20th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Nourdin wrote:I understand your point.
But I guess reading this means you never had a problem with money.
some ( me >_< ) just don't have it and use all their money to pay the insurance, school, food, the ( goddamn ) rent.
paying for this is ok. investment like u said. But it would be sooo much 'easier' if it would be free. not because it "should" be so.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

brian :cool:

bagelsandlox

Postby bagelsandlox » June 27th, 2008, 5:16 am

Richard Kaufman wrote: Considering all the work and time invested here on the Forum, don't you think I'd charge for it if I could? But folks on the internet want it for free. Even a $10 per year charge for this Forum would be too much for the "I-want-it-free" culture.

Close has a site he charges for. So, it can be done. People will pay if they perceive there is value.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » June 27th, 2008, 6:58 am

$10 per year? Michael Close actually raised the membership fee to his forum from $30 to $40. I guess there must be a market for it.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 27th, 2008, 10:51 am

My theory is that "pay for play" forums aren't necessarily better unless there are additional requirements to membership beyond the subscription fee. I would not care to be obliged to offer access to some idiot just because he/she could afford a subscription fee.

Return to “General”