favourite illustrations

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Levey

favourite illustrations

Postby Jonathan Levey » November 10th, 2002, 4:02 am

Good evening,
I was just wondering which magic book contains your favourite illustrations?
Personally, I like the illustrations in the "Flicking Fingers" book... I am not to sure who the illustrator was, but I am sure Richard could tell us?
As well as Homer Liwag and Chris Kenners illustrations in his book "Totally Out of Control".. fun to look at and easily understood..
Thanks in advanced....
Jonathan :)

Sean Macfarlane

Re: favourite illustrations

Postby Sean Macfarlane » November 10th, 2002, 4:05 am

One of the first real heavy books I got was "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" I've always liked the illustrations in that book. I believe it was Tom Gagnon

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » November 10th, 2002, 5:24 am

Tom Gagnon has my vote. The illustrations are miniature works of art. The Bro. Hamman book is a good example. So it the J.C. Wagner book (The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner). BHe also illustrated some of the Vernon books.

Mike

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2002, 9:06 am

Robert E. Lorayne. :D

Book with the best? Paul Harris's Close-Up Seductions :D :D

Actually? Sorry, I can't pick a favorite: Yes Gagnon is great, so is our editor, Kaufman, so was Joseph Wierzisibicikkkiziki. Let's not forget Hollingworth, and Tony Dunn. And, a name that is sure to be overlooked: Jim Steinmeyer.

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » November 10th, 2002, 6:02 pm

My vote is for Ton Onosaka; he did the illustrations in the Mullica book, and (if I'm not mistaken) the late Shigeo Takagi's book too.
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 10th, 2002, 8:55 pm

Anything with Richard Kaufman....... honest...!

COINMAGIC....ALMANAC.....DINGLE...etc. Love 'em.

Steve

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2003, 5:27 am

Hi Jonathan,

the illustrator for our Flicking Fingers Book
was/is Joachim 'Jogo' Mezger, an art student
from Munich specializing in animation.

Jorg Alexander was the first to use his
services for one of his lectures notes
in 1995 and so it was a natural development
to use his abilities for our book too.

Thomas

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » April 29th, 2003, 9:59 pm

30th April 2003

Thomas,
Great illustrations...I just attended the Flicking Fingers Down-Under. It was excellent! Loved your 'glass' act :eek: ....
Hope to see you and the other fingers again some time...
Sincerely,
Jonathan Rubel

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 30th, 2003, 10:47 am

I love the illustrations in Bill Tarr's "now you see it..." series...exceptional -- these are the best illustrated books that I have read

The Kenner/Liwag illustrations in Out of Control and "Magic Man Examiner" are gorgeous and damn funny...the design work on MME is a delight

Love Earl Oakes' work...particularly in Jennings '67

the illustrations in the instructions to Cornelius' "Fickle Nickle" are likewise gorgeous...

best,
nate.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » April 30th, 2003, 1:05 pm

Don't forget Sandra Kort. She's a gem.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » April 30th, 2003, 2:40 pm

There are many wonderful magic illustrators in print. When we speak of magic illustrators, we're talking about people who clearly and efficiently communicate exotic grips and postures in a dynamic way.

To my mind, the most elegant, clear, and muscular illustrations in print are those of Donna Allen in Expert Card Technique. These pictures communicate much more than simply how to hold one's hands--they communicate a style and attitude toward card magic that is not always evident in others' work.

Where else have Ms. Allen's illustrations been published, does anybody know?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 30th, 2003, 3:07 pm

Most of the artists are represented in Chuck Romano's beautiful book, The Art of Deception.

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » April 30th, 2003, 3:39 pm

Another vote for Mr. Gagnon.

I really like the way Richard Kaufman draws hands, but I dislike the way he draws playing cards. They look out of place for some reason.

Charlie

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 30th, 2003, 3:56 pm

I'm going to toss out a name that few may have heard of (but I'll bet the illustrators here have): Anthony Ravielli. He was an unbelievable artist, and though he didn't do a lot of magic illustrating, he did do some. He illustrated a bit for Bruce Elliott and The Phoenix and also worked with Martin Gardner.

Dustin

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2003, 5:57 pm

My favorite illustrators are
Richard Kaufman
Tom Gagnon
Barbara Giobbi-Ebnther

CardFan

Postby CardFan » April 30th, 2003, 8:28 pm

This, for me, is easy. In no particular order:
Mssrs. Kaufman, Oakes and Schmidt.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 1st, 2003, 8:04 am

Steranko. Much of his magic work was done before he matured in comics and graphic arts, but it is still clean and conveys the information well.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2003, 8:25 am

I am breathtaken by the art of Katlyn Breene, personally.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » May 1st, 2003, 7:09 pm

Let's not forget Rose Rings whose fine illustrations grace the pages of Channel One Magazine. Rose also illustrated the manuscript for Diminishing Returns as well as Paul Wilson's recent lecture notes. She also did the illustrations for Sean Bogunia's Notepad Surprise and other items too. She's excellent.

Mike

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2003, 10:39 am

My vote for best living artists who are still working in our field are Earle Oakes and Ton Onosaka. Steranko is also a superb artist, but hasn't worked in our field in almost 35 years.
Deceased artists: Nelson Hahne, Donna Allen (who also illustrated Hugard and Braue's book "The Invisible Pass" and at least one of the "More Card Manipulations" series).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » May 2nd, 2003, 10:54 am

RK took the words out of my mouth.
I loved working with Earle Oakes for several years during my "Inside Out" stint.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 2nd, 2003, 12:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of voting for favorites, but I will say that the illustrations Earle Oakes did for the May Genii article on Tony Giorgio are nothing less than spectacular.

Matt Field

Don Spurrier

Postby Don Spurrier » May 2nd, 2003, 4:14 pm

Kaufman gets the vote for hands and cards, coins, etc.; Steranko for body movements; but the vote for overall "magician" has to go to Nelson Hahne. It is amazing the influence his illustrations have had on magic for years! The slim, trim, sophisticated and debonair performer set the tone for many a performer. Channing Pollock was a Nelson Hahne illustration come to life!

Don Spurrier

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 2nd, 2003, 10:50 pm

While no one can contest the excellence of Richard Kaufman, Earle Oakes and Ton Onosaka's work in the field I have to admit to a fondness for the work of Dwight Dunaway, the fellow who illustrated the early work of Paul Harris.

His drawings really captured the light-hearted nature of Paul's performing persona and fit the text live a glove.

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » May 4th, 2003, 10:25 pm

.... like a rubber glove. ;) :p

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 4th, 2003, 10:36 pm

I've always enjoyed the way Kaufman uses "speed lines" to convey the impression of movement in his illustrations. His hand renderings are exceptionally nice also.

Other than that, I'll add the usual names of Dunn, Oakes, and Onosaka to my list of favorites.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » May 5th, 2003, 11:40 am

My vote goes to Tom Batchelor for his illustrations in his book Canadian Card Control. Incredible!

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2003, 7:44 pm

I entered Magic durihg the 40s and the reigning artist then was Nelson Hahne. Man, illustationss of the magi in tuxedo in movement ALWAYS meant MAGIC to me. His illustrations graced almost every catalogue in America.TAll, thin, tuxedo perfect, that is the way I wanted to look (I think Keith Clarke, Paul Rosini,Calvert actually did). First loves become idealized standards. Today ALL seem So good, Tony Dunn (Linking Riong etc.) Gagnon and others are great. Earle Oaies, always fantastic, somehow--(I agree with the above writer--) outdid even his past great perforamnces with this Georgi issue (besides, Earle is the most gracious, warm human being this side of the Universe--but that is a different topic)
Martin J Kaplan Media,Pa.

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2003, 1:00 am

I don't know that I have a favorite illustrator, but I know for certain what my favorite illustration is.

Everyone break out your copies of Bobo and look up Glenn Harrison's "Miracle Coins to the Pocket". Figure 4, which is on page 170 of the Dover edition, is the funniest illustration I've ever seen.

Clink!

Paul

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 8th, 2003, 2:55 am

Originally posted by Paul Sherman:
Glenn Harrison's "Miracle Coins to the Pocket".
Ah, a really great effect! One of the best coin effects I've ever seen performed.

I too enjoy Ton Onosaka's illustrations a lot.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » May 8th, 2003, 3:49 am

Hi

My previous post was in jest.

The best illustrator I've worked with is Joe Schmidt. He requires no photographs and works simply from the text you send him. Errors in interpretation are a rarity. He's an amazing man.

Best Wishes

Peter

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » May 8th, 2003, 4:22 am

-------------------------------
My previous post was in jest.
-------------------------------

Doggonnit! I've spent the past 3 days looking for my copy of Canadian Card Control just to check out the Batchelor illustrations.

Mr. Duffie, speaking of "bachelor illustrations", didn't you use some guest illustrators in Duffie's Card Compulsions? The card handling was classic Schmidt, but the line quality and style of the other illustrations would be hard to do just from text... :eek:

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » May 8th, 2003, 5:39 am

Having illustrated a few books myself, I have a few favourites I have always loved the work of - Ton Onosaka, Earl Oakes and Richard Kaufamn and Tom Gagnon is a big favourite of mine.

One illustrator who has not been mentioned thus far and deserves recognition is Daryl Skelton, who illustrated Allan Ackerman's excellent booklet, Here's My Card.

His (or Her) work is quite superb and deeply satisfying, although it does suffer a little when the (excellent) style compromises the details of a sleight.

These drawings are beautiful. I would love to own one. If anyone knows Daryl Skelton, please pass me his or her details.

Paul.

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2003, 6:04 am

Donna Allen's illustrations in ECT are amazing, and I love the way every Earle Oakes rendering portrays not just the moves but the persona of the magician who developed them.

But I reserve a special fondness for the truly hokey, and usually anonymous, illustrations that have come down to us from the early and mid 20th century, e.g., in the 1929 Johnson Smith catalog, of which I have a facsimile. I also kept the little booklet "101 Magic Tricks" (and, unfortunately, little else) from my childhood Hocus Pocus magic set. My favorite: The illustration for "Bread on Thread," wherein the performer magically threads three chunks of bread in his mouth (don't try this with razor blades, boys and girls!) and triumphantly displays them in their mystical sogginess.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 8th, 2003, 7:20 am

Paul Wilson -- What have you illustrated? I've got one set of your notes, which are text only, I believe.

Michael P. Lair, in one of his early lecture notes, has a sponge ball effect in which he illustrates his hand going into or out of his pocket with a sponge ball. It looks just like he is pulling a sponge ball from the crack of his rear end.

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » May 8th, 2003, 9:52 am

Most of my favorite illustrators are already listed above. But I'd also like to put in a vote for the charming, whimsical artwork of the late Sid Lorraine (Sidney R. Johnson, I believe?).

One of the highlights of my collection of magic-related ephemera is several pages of R.Kaufman's original artwork from Ammar's "Encore III". It's all framed and on the wall in my office, next to the photo of me and "Judge Judy" (don't ask).

Tom Ladshaw
N'Awlins, LA

pduffie

Postby pduffie » May 8th, 2003, 12:02 pm

Eric Rose said:
"Doggonnit! I've spent the past 3 days looking for my copy of Canadian Card Control just to check out the Batchelor illustrations."

Don't stop searching, these illustrations are so bad that you wil be instantly stunned.

The "other" drawings in Card Compulsions are French clip-art that Richard Kaufman came across.

Best Wishes

Peter

Tommy Brown

Postby Tommy Brown » May 9th, 2003, 2:58 pm

Bill Mullins,

I probably have the same set of Paul Wilson notes, and they are text. I also have a booklet of his called "13," which has some very nice illustrations. RFA Productions is credited with the layout and illustrations.
Tommy

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 10th, 2003, 1:46 am

Wilson illustrated the majority of the latter end of Profile. He's a great artist, but I take offence at his cartoon of a unicyclist at an identity parade.

Take care, Ian

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » May 10th, 2003, 6:15 am

Rosie Rings illustrated 13 and she did a great job. I simply didnt have the time. I would recommend Rosie to anyone in need of first class drawings.

I illustrated my first book, Chaos Theories, my Card In Beer Bottle book and Roger Curzons superb Card To Envelope book. Anyone who has Chaos Theories will find that I pay tribute to Daryl Skelton in those drawings.

I also spent far too long illustrating the forthcoming Dave Campbell book. When this finally comes out (I take part of the blame for its delay), be prepared for one of the most commercial collections of magic ever released. I can't begin to tell you how good this stuff is. If you are at all serious about your magic, order it the second it is announced. Seriously.

International Magic expect to have it out soon.

Return to “General”