What would you do?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brian W

What would you do?

Postby Brian W » October 7th, 2001, 6:03 am

Hello everyone. I attented a wedding yesterday and it was moving along as expected. That is until I looked out the window onto the deck and noticed one of the guests doing card tricks. I thought it was great to see and I kept observing through the window. Then after he concluded one of his effects I saw him show the group how he forced a card using the slip cut force. My jaw hit the table and I went outside hoping to get a closer look. As I stepped through the door I caught the tail end of another one of his tricks and heard him exclaim, "I only know those four tricks, and that last one I'm not going to tell how it was done, I'm gonna keep that one for myself" He ended his performance and returned inside to the party. I concluded from his words that he tipped the other three tricks he performed.
I went back inside and sat down at my table. Throughout the rest of the reception I saw the man perform for at least three more of the guests, not tipping any of his tricks.
I was debating talking to the guy but I couldn't make up my mind. I was still riding the fence about talking to him when we were about to leave. I knew I couldn't live with myself if I did not introduce myself. I went over to his table and introduced myself. I told him I was also into magic and wondered if he would show me a trick. He did a card location using the slip-cut force. I asked him where he learned his tricks and he said he learned them from some inmates at a prison where he works. I showed him an effect using his deck and told him about some of the local magic clubs that meet in the state. He told me he has just started out in magic and doesn't know anything else besides those four tricks. He seemed very eager to learn more so I showed him a little finesse on the force he used. I explained to him about the how magic is steeped in history and if he is interested in learing more to be sure not to give away any of the secrets. I told him if he continues persuing magic as a hobby he'll reget the fact that he tipped some tricks. He listened and gave me his address so I could send him some information about the local shops and clubs. I never let him know that I overheard him tipping the tricks. I figured that I was already on my soapbox enough.
I have been into magic since I was kid. I enjoy its rich history and it's respect to the secrets. I wasn't sure how to handle yesterdays situation.
What would you have done?

Rob James

Re: What would you do?

Postby Rob James » October 7th, 2001, 7:57 am

Sounds like you did the right thing! If he gets more seriously into magic he will be grateful for your advice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: What would you do?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 7th, 2001, 8:35 am

Brian,
I would also agree that you handled it well. It's a sorry fact that many people learn a trick and then feel that it's part of the show to expose it afterward, but that's what their level of understanding is unless educated otherwise.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”