Secrets and Intimacy

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Secrets and Intimacy

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2004, 12:00 pm

Doy ou tell your magical secrets to your wife? To your girlfriend?

When I first started in magic, the secrets so excited me that I wanted to share them, and my significant others were those closest to me. I exposed shells, double-lifts, black art. But then I started breaking up with those girls, and realized the diaspora of secrets that I was creating.

Still, even these days, I find it difficult to hide everything from my girlfriend. She shares so much with me that it seems stingy and small to withhold a simple secret. So I hold back as much as I can, but leakage still occurs.

I can't imagine that a magician who hides everything from their significant other can have a very good relationship.

What about you?

Steve V

Re: Secrets and Intimacy

Postby Steve V » August 7th, 2004, 4:31 pm

I never tell my wife how something is done nor does she ask, even when Maven fools her and she is tickled pink she doesn't ask.
Steve V
Steve V

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » August 7th, 2004, 9:01 pm

In case Erdnase hadn't noticed the irony in his own post: Talking about magic all the time with your girlfriend will soon make her your ex-girlfriend.

:-)

www.ryanmatney.com
Distilled- 100% Pure Self-Working Card Magic - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 8th, 2004, 7:36 am

I don't go out of my way to reveal anything to my fiancee. I also don't go out of my way to hide anything from her. You'd be surprised how much she figures out on her own, though. If she really wants to know something, I don't have any problem telling her.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2004, 7:52 am

My wonderful wife of 32 years makes it clear, repeatedly, that she does not WANT to know how things are done. She says that destroys the wonder for her, and she enjoys that wonder. Of course, watching me make things or walking in on practice sessions at times, she sees some secrets, whether she wanted to do so or not.

Recently I really got her "eyes to pop" when I showed her my newest original effect. She reiterated that such effects are why she doesn't want to know secrets.

Jon

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2004, 8:19 am

My wife rarely wants to know. Occasionally, she wants to know. Occasionally, she prefers not to know. Most of the time, she couldn't care less, she just enjoys the magic.

Our (20-year-old) son, on the other hand, always wants to know.

Dave

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2004, 10:53 am

My other half is supportive for what i do BUT does not want to know how things are done and orefers to keep the mystery alive.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Steve V

Postby Steve V » August 8th, 2004, 11:39 am

I can picture Erdnase leaving a phone mail "please baby....come back...how else you gonna learn phase three of my ambitious card routine?".
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2004, 12:22 am

Those who don't want to know are truly enlightened.

In my experience, they constitut3e perhaps 10% of the population, and those people are mostly the kind of people who like cake but don't need three slices, who like a glass of Gewurtztriner but don't need seven. They know the meaning of enough.

Hey, if you're married to a woman who doesn't need to know the secrets, you have a good catch!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 9th, 2004, 4:53 am

Been lucky then. From roommates in college to household today. No questions asked about the stuff. Also no distance because of the stuff. It's my hobby, and not a threat to their realities.

I ask them for feedback as I develop things and ideas. After a while, it becomes a chance for them to watch OTHER people react to the material.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2004, 10:24 pm

I've shared an easily understood card method with my daughter because she wanted to learn. She learned and then she performed for other members of family and her friends...and then came up with her own version of it. She is 7 years old. She is the only one in my immediate family. I am proud of her. :)

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » August 12th, 2004, 5:55 pm

Originally posted by PDQ Erdnase:
So I hold back as much as I can, but leakage still occurs.
Are you still referring to magic or your magic wand?

Andy

P.S. PDQ may be quite appropriate for your name if leakage is an issue.

Return to “General”