Are NY Magicians OK?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brian Marks

Are NY Magicians OK?

Postby Brian Marks » September 11th, 2001, 11:10 pm

I know several magicians in NY who live or work near the World Trade Center in NY. If anyone in NY please check in. Let us know your okay and if you saw what happaned and how this has affected your life.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Are NY Magicians OK?

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 11th, 2001, 11:25 pm

I'm sure we're all concerned about anyone who lives and works in the New York City area, magicians included. There were also lots of people from Boston and Pittsburgh and Washington DC on those four planes that were used as aerial bombs. Our thoughts are with them all.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 12th, 2001, 10:11 am

To all concerned -- David Oliver sent a post to many of us in the NYC area to report that there are no known casualties among magicians here, but we'll have to await final reports.

The city itself is devastated. Seeing the changed skyline is a reminder of the cruelty the human race manages to inflict upon itself.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2001, 11:56 am

I live in a brownstone in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, about four miles from the towers, as the crow flies. My wife and I were both home when the attacks began, and we could view the fires from our apartment. She saw the second explosion live on TV; moments later, the sound hit us.

From the roof of our building, I could see all of lower Manhattan as the two towers burned; people on nearby rooftops with binoculars were shouting that they could see people jumping. I'm glad my own binoculars weren't that strong.

I was back in the apartment when the first building collapsed, creating a sustained, sickening roar. I returned to the roof, not knowing or being able to imagine that the entire tower was leveled. All of lower Manhattan was shrouded in thick dust; I didn't see how anyone there could breathe. I shouted down to my wife that I couldn't see the towers. She had been watching on TV and knew what happened: "You mean the tower!" Shortly thereafter there were none.

All day, the wind blew the dust and smoke directly over our neighborhood; a lot of people on the street wore dust masks, although we got along OK without them. Ten hours after the attacks, charred pieces of paper were still floating down on our building and our block.

It was made all the more strange and horrific by how bright and beautiful the day was. After being turned away from donating blood at the local hospital, Carrie and I just drifted through the neighborhood. People walked on the main business street as if on a strange holiday, eating ice cream and pizza as the volcanic plume rose from Manhattan and floated above our heads. As I write this, I keep turning my head and looking out the window, thinking that if I just blink, the tops of the towers will reappear. Talk about magical thinking.

(I don't know many NYC magicians, apart from Igor [Mitrovic], with whom I've been performing for the last two months; he's OK.)

--Ralph

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2001, 1:49 pm

All my prayers and best wishes go out to all of those who were injured or killed. Also to friends and family of same. And especially to the brave firefighters and police, who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
I know that it's too late now, but, maybe Genii could do some type of memorial in a future issue. Maybe a blank page dedicated to the many who suffered.

Selah.
TiJean

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » September 12th, 2001, 10:06 pm

So far, every magician I checked with who worked in the WTC area was fine. Special concern was for Jim Stewart who worked on the 92nd floor. He fortunately was out of the office Tuesday at a business meeting.
I also have heartfelt thanks to the many magicians like Ken Krenzel, Bob Friedhoffer, and many more who called or e-mailed to me to see if even I was OK.
Another local magician, Jerry Weisenberg, worked hard and long hours on Tuesday and Wednesday volunteering his time and help to comforting victims and helping direct traffic in lower Manhattan. He also donated needed blood.
This once again shows what a great brotherhood we have and the friendships we have developed with our fellow magicians.
-Rene

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2001, 7:34 am

I'd like to add that all those I have spoken to here in the UK, both in person and on bulletin boards share the sense of outrage and send their heartfelt sympathies to all those affected in NY and Washington.

It is heartening to hear of those who escaped the atrocities and we share the on-going horror of the situation.

I was actually at home with a cold on Tuesday and Wednesday, and there was blanket coverage on the TV from the time of the first plane crash.

In peace,
Shafique

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » September 13th, 2001, 9:23 am

It's 2 days later and I still feel like it is a dream. How can such a thing happen to the most powerful country in the world? Did we allow ourselves to become so lax that we did not see this coming?

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and victoms of this national tragedy.
We will survive, we will strike back...

I thought you guys would find this interesting. I don't know if it is real or not but it sure has meaning..

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb. The third big war will begin when the big city is burning." - Nostradamus 1654

Jeff Pierce

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » September 13th, 2001, 10:22 am

The Nostradamus prediction is a Hoax. You can check out the full details at:
http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/hoaxes/predict.htm

Best,
Mark

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2001, 6:05 pm

David Oliver's list is currently posted at http://www.neguide.com/sam9/

Mike

Postby Mike » September 16th, 2001, 1:13 am

I just got back from walking as far as one can down to the trade center on Canal Street.The smoke is still all around ,there are many candles on the ground and pictures of loved ones posted on walls.All vey sad...

Return to “General”