Help for NYC, Fire & Police

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Larry Horowitz

Help for NYC, Fire & Police

Postby Larry Horowitz » September 12th, 2001, 10:00 pm

Today, I did what little I could to help out those that have fallen in the line of duty in NYC. I stopped by the local fire station and donated some money for the families of those that have sacrificed to help others.

I ask all magicians to try to do something. Give blood, give money. At least go to a blood donor center and do some walk around for those people that are waiting in line for hours.

There is much sadness and shock thruout the country. The best magic we have at our fingertips is the skills to maybe return smiles to those worse off then we are. If you have this opportunity, try to help.

That's all I can ask.

Larry Horowitz

Robert Kane

Re: Help for NYC, Fire & Police

Postby Robert Kane » September 12th, 2001, 10:12 pm

Great suggestion Larry.

I have spoken with colleagues today in London, Hamburg and Sydney about this horrific act of cowardice. All expressed their deep sympathy for all of the affected people, especially those who were injured or lost their lives or family members. Indeed, my collegues expressed peace and sorrow for all people of the USA during this difficult time.

I must say it was comforting to hear the solid of support for the USA and the forces of good. I am going to head out myself to give blood tommorow and I second your motion that the rest of us also find our own way of helping or giving. Thanks for your post

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » October 3rd, 2001, 4:26 pm

:eek: Sending them a check for $350 -- 25% of my latest gig.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 4th, 2001, 1:56 pm

twin towers fund gives to the family of victims
http://twintowersfund.vista.com

Ive already given bith time to the relief effort (I am an EMT in the NY area) money and other supplies.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2001, 3:03 pm

The fire company in my neighborhood lost 12 men in the attack, and I've donated directly to the fund for their families. I still can't walk dry-eyed past the firehouse.

But as masters of misdirection, we can well understand a phenomenon I read about recently: Other, worthy charities are feeling a pinch right now, because the WTC funds are not only stimulating but to some degree diverting peoples' generosity. The causes you cared about before 9/11 are no less important than they were.

--Ralph

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » October 5th, 2001, 6:08 pm

I heard recently that the charities related to the WTC have recieved in excess of 200 milliopn dollars. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the annual donatioons in the U.S which total about 2 billion per year.

We can be proud that the citizens of our country donate a higher percentage of earnings to charity then any other country.-

By the By, the U.S has also been the single largest aid giver to Afghanastan over the last 10 years. Explain to me again why we are so evil.

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2001, 5:37 am

Drop in the bucket? In three weeks, the WTC funds have amounted to 10% of all the funds given to all other causes in a full year. I don't think there's anything wrong with that-- indeed, I'm deeply moved by it. I'm just making a cautionary comment that it would be a shame if the other $2 billion took a big hit in the process.

Return to “General”