Card Concepts

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Card Concepts

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2005, 1:09 am

Card Concepts By Arthur F. MacTier.
Does anyone have a review for this book?

" A major and extremely important work where all of the classic mathematical principles, 31 in all, used with cards, together with 70 tricks using these principles are included in a novel way. Each principle is explained in easy-to-understand terms, then tricks involving the particular principle are explained in a step-by-step instruction. No book which covers these principles so comprehensively has been undertaken before. One does not need to be a mathematician to understand and use the principles involved as the author cleverly gives examples of how you can use the principles without knowing the maths behind them. The tricks are virtually self working yet they involve the best mathematical principles developed"

Bob Farmer

Re: Card Concepts

Postby Bob Farmer » November 11th, 2005, 5:28 am

Card Concepts is a must-have for anyone's library, simply because there are very few books like this. Though it was a noble attempt, it isn't a very good book for two reasons:

1. The author doesn't really understand many of the principles he discusses (I speak from personal experience -- he tries to explain my trick, "Tsunami" and fails miserably).

2. He includes many of his own inventions and presentations which are uniformly disappointing. A much better approach would have been to simply list the principles and explain one or two good tricks.

A much better book, though sadly a very short one, is Temple Patton's CARD TRICKS ANYONE CAN DO (CASTLE BOOKS 1968). The pedestrian title is misleading: this is probably the best collection of explanations of mathematical principles in card magic anyone has ever written -- because the principles are explained with exploded illustrations.

If Temple Patton had written CARD CONCEPTS we would have had a masterpiece. As it is, CARD CONCEPTS is a very interesting checklist.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 11th, 2005, 7:20 am

What shops carry this book now? I've had trouble finding it.
Distilled- 100% Pure Self-Working Card Magic - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » November 11th, 2005, 8:15 am

Bob - I didn't realize anyone else even remembered the Patton book. I picked mine up a few years ago from a used bookstore in New Mexico for $3 - marked up from the original $2.50 pencilled in the front. The illustrations and explanations are remarkable for a mathmatical magic book. I've used the Second Sight trick occasionally to great effect with minor variations to the original writeup.

Another source for those willing to search for a file is Rusduck's Cardiste. Plenty to keep a fellow thinking on a cold winter's night.

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2005, 9:19 am

I bought mine from Richard Hatch at http://www.magicbookshop.com

Even though I enjoyed reading it, I must agree with Bob Farmer in all of his observations. In particular the presentations for the tricks he suggests are very inferior. You will probably risk boring a spectator with these. And it's a shame, as most of the principles are very powerful.

I did find some new ones but if you are well versed in card magic based on mathematics, and if you have read Elmsley's works, you will be familiar with a lot of them.

All in all it's a great idea for a book. It could have been better executed.

Alexander Crawford

Postby Alexander Crawford » November 14th, 2005, 7:27 am

Its published by and available from Davenports Magic (http://www.davenportsmagic.co.uk/page_exclusives.htm).

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » November 15th, 2005, 3:40 am

Just happened to spot a fairly detailed review here:

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic7786.php

The maths is a bit beyond me, but as a reference work I'd say it's worth having, especially at that price.

Incidentally, the Temple Patton book is quite readily available via ABE Books at the moment.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » November 25th, 2005, 5:53 am

Bob Farmer wrote:
"A much better book, though sadly a very short one, is Temple Patton's CARD TRICKS ANYONE CAN DO (CASTLE BOOKS 1968). The pedestrian title is misleading: this is probably the best collection of explanations of mathematical principles in card magic anyone has ever written -- because the principles are explained with exploded illustrations."

I have two copies of Patton's book, and I would like to sell one. If you are interested, please write me:
muellerkart@web.de

Reinhard

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2006, 10:45 am

Purchased this book from Davenports..
Will write a review once (or if) I finish reading the book... :)

Return to “General”