New Column Idea/Request

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

New Column Idea/Request

Postby Mark Jensen » September 11th, 2001, 4:13 pm

Hi Richard,

I am currently re-reading The Magic of Alan Wakeling. One thing mentioned in the book is that Alan published a series of 12 (I think) short articles called (if I remember correctly) "The Traveler" in Genii around 1952. See what happens when I don't have the book in front of me ;)

Since I don't have all of the appropriate issues this got me to thinking. Wouldn't it be great if Genii had a "Best of Yesterday" column where articles like this could be reprinted. With the rich history of Genii I would think that there is a ton of material (and I'm not talking tricks here) to choose from.

Of course, the "Entire" Genii on CD would be great too.

What do you think?

Best,

Mark

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Column Idea/Request

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 11th, 2001, 6:17 pm

Mark, your idea of reprinting older material from Genii in current issues is a good one, and something we do occasionally (such as when Doug Henning died, and when we ran a retrospective on Eddie Fechter's convention). One problem, however, is space--we don't have any! Every issue I have more new material than I can fit into the pages. So, there's not a lot of room to reprint older material. We are planning to reprint some older material from Genii in book form. As far as a CD-rom goes, that's a long time in the future. I don't care for the way the Linking Ring CD-rom looks because they scanned in each entire page as a graphic, and so the text is fuzzy (the same problem which afflicts the reissue of The Pentragram on CD-rom from Martin Bresse). These types of CD-Roms are only good, from my point of view, for locating material--then you have to print it out in order to comfortably read it. Not my cup of tea.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » September 12th, 2001, 4:58 pm

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Since you mentioned having more material than you can fit into each issue, have you ever considered doing a Genii Annual? I know that several "non-magic" magazines that I get do that. The annual is usually about twice the size of a normal issue and generally contains top flight info.

Best,
Mark

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 12th, 2001, 11:55 pm

Ted Annemann did Winter and Summer Annuals for The Jinx, and I also did it for the first two years of Richard's Almanac. It's just a nightmare!!! Two more issues to put out a year! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Moore

Postby David Moore » September 13th, 2001, 10:50 am

Richard

Speaking of reprints, do you have the rights to the Vernon columns? They would make great reading.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » September 14th, 2001, 11:34 am

Richard, as a teenager and young adult, I read Genii for years. Please DO NOT waste space by reprinting old Vernon columns. They were not terribly well written and contained little useful information. With all due respect to Vernon and his particular genius, what you run now is generally much better than Vernon's past contributions to Genii.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 24th, 2001, 4:41 am

Richard,

I think we at Lybrary.com could do a much better job in putting GENII on CD than what was released by others in the past with other magazines.

It would be a monumental task to convert all text, proofread and change the layout appropriate for screen viewing. But I think we have demonstrated with ebooks such as the Tarbell course that we are capable of doing a great conversion.

An electronic GENII would be a terrific resource.

Chris.... Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » December 12th, 2001, 8:27 am

Forget that high tech stuff. I say put out a copy of Genii formated like the good ol' Magic Coloring Book. That way we can show the wife and kids that there is nothing in the magazine but still spend time looking at it rather than talking to them!
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2001, 2:45 pm

Dear Mr Kaufman,

It seems to me that you have the Visionary (Mr. Jon Racherbaumer) and the Expert Mechanic (Mr. Chris Wasshuber) trying to tell you something. In short: get ready for change. (How long is "a long way off..." anyhow? 20 years, 10 years, 5 years?) I definitely believe if you do not own or have access to the internet in 5 years you'll be like someone who did not own a phone in the 1960's. Together these gentlemen could change the world.

This fact will become more apparent sooner or later. 'Work smarter- not harder'. Smarter= get ready for the internet explosion NOW; Harder= try to stuff more content in the existing format.

Respectfully, Mr. Spicer

sleightly

Postby sleightly » December 12th, 2001, 3:29 pm

I second the vote for publishing like a coloring book...

(Now if only the men's magazines would do the same...)

ajp

Return to “General”