Castle Query

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Levey

Castle Query

Postby Jonathan Levey » September 8th, 2003, 9:52 pm

I was wondering if there is an age restriction to get into the Magic Castle?

And if so, how do people like Joshua Jay or any other teenage magician perform/lecture there?

Just wondering...

Thanks,
Jonathan Rubel

Pete Biro

Re: Castle Query

Postby Pete Biro » September 8th, 2003, 9:57 pm

You must be 21 to enter the Castle, except on Sunday afternoons for brunch.

There are specific days during the year (I don't know what they are), however, that are designated for "Junior Performers."

There is also a "Junior Membership" that is involved, but when they meet, I don't know.

You might go to the Magic Castle website to find out.
Stay tooned.

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » September 8th, 2003, 10:01 pm

Thanks Pete for the fastest reply in forum history...

Is the reason why youngens aren't allowed because alcohol is served or some other legal reason? Or has is been a tradition/rule ever since the castle opened?

Thanks...

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 9th, 2003, 12:46 am

What's so surprising about a private club being primarily "Adults Only"?

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » September 9th, 2003, 2:38 am

I'm not shocked or surprised...

I'm just wondering, seeing as though there has been a big increase in the amount of magicians that have become so talented at such an early age...

Thanks,

Jonathan Rubel =)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 9th, 2003, 9:16 am

As a private club, it was decided to be for adults and also to have a STRICT dress code.

It is one of the few places you can go to anymore where you dress up and you don't have "kids" running around, making noise, etc.

However, the Castle (Acadamy) is very supportive of young magicians. Their "teen" program has produced some excellent professionals.

A good example is Jason Latimer, not only did he win the S&R Sarmoti Award, but at FISM he won first prize close-up, first prize invention, and the Grand Prix for close-up.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2003, 10:05 am

I've noticed people who get excited over being invited to The Castle, simply because it is an opportunity to dress up nicely and be in a setting where expectations of that kind of atmosphere and manners, are met.

I've heard stories of a then teenaged Copperfield or Lance Burton, watching backstage, and/or performing on stage, but not being able to go beyond that area because of the restrictions/liquor laws, etc.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » September 9th, 2003, 10:15 am

Diego,

I completely agree with you. I recently took my fianc on her first trip to the Castle and she was indeed very excited merely to have a chance to get nicely dressed up and go have dinner and a show at a very nice venue. We both love kids, but it's nice to have an adult evening out now and again.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2003, 7:49 pm

Josh Jay is now 21 years old and this week finds his first appearance at the Castle.
-DS

Steve V

Postby Steve V » September 10th, 2003, 9:40 pm

Speaking of the Castle, I want to compliment them. The closest I came to the Castle was standing in the parking lot in the 70's and watching Dai Vernon go into it. I've run into some folks lately who were invited to the Castle, not magician types, and they had a wonderful time. They enjoyed the shows, the people, the food, the liked the whole experience and every one said they would like to go back. That says a lot about the place.
Steve V
Steve V

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » September 10th, 2003, 10:14 pm

Of course there is that "no one under 21 allowed." Some of the posts here neglected to mention the certain times where that rule is lifted.

There are three (or more) times during the year that the Castle has a "Young Adults Night," whereby kids can come and visit the Castle--these times usually correspond to Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer.

There is, to my knowledge, no restriction on the age of magicians who perform. I know Jason Latimer did perform a few times despite his not being 21. The Castle wants good performers. A fellow Junior, Matthew Grunwald will also be performing in December--he is yet to be 21.

And this is, of course, assuming one doesn't count Future Stars Week--thanks to the Magic Castle Junior Group.

So, there you have it.
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 11th, 2003, 8:05 am

I think anyone of any age can come during Sunday Brunch. True?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 11th, 2003, 8:41 am

Children may accompany parents to Sunday brunch, but, the last time I attended, and I think in general, part of the Castle is closed off, plus you don't get all the regular evening performers for that week. So it's not the same experience.

Back in the late 60s, Marc McGuire performed in the Closeup Gallery at 18.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 11th, 2003, 9:18 am

Richard... the Sunday Brunch shows are aimed at younger audience members.... ie: Seabrooke cleans his act up. :D :D :D
Stay tooned.

Return to “General”