airport security..

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MitchSchneiter

Re: airport security..

Postby MitchSchneiter » June 10th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
The rule on penknives changed recently. For a while, ANY knife was prohibited in carry-on.
[/QB]
All knives are still prohibited in carry-on. The recent TSA prohibited item change allowed for small scissors and tools in carry-on.

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2006, 2:20 pm

I was wrong about penknives, but butter knives and plastic bladed knives are permitted. I found another piece of TSA trivia. You can bring a Zippo lighter in as carry on -- IF it is in a DOT approved case.

You can put knives and other dangerous items in your checked luggage. I would mail them to the location I was going to work in. I just got all of my magnetic goodies back from Germany yesterday. I beat them home by 2 days.

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Linking Rings is an interesting carry-on item. Several times I've had to remove them for examination because the X-Ray shows them as a coil of wire.

One bizarre airport incident (of many!) happened in the USA a few years ago. (As non-US citizens we now get "randomly selected" to be thoroughly searched at every possible point of any air travel we make in the USA). We were travelling with a book I'd hollowed out to hide our money in because a lot of the hotels we were staying at didn't have safes. As we checked in and were randomly chosen to be searched (again!) the lady going through our luggage came across the hollow book. She immediately called he supervisor over like she'd hit the mother-load. I saw her showing the supervisor the book and explaining it was hollow. The supervisor said, "What's inside it?" and the lady said "....nothing..." The supervisor gave her a look which was the equivalent of a smack on the head and said "Well let them on the plane!"

My favourite carry-on item is my jumbo 20c piece. It always gets picked up in the X-Ray and I get taken aside and asked what the big round object is. I explain that it's a 20c piece and they look at me like I'm an idiot as they're going through my case. I just smile as they take out the huge coin and check it out in disbelief. It gets a smile, but I've always wondered if anyone's ever been game to travel with a Peanut Tin full of spring snakes?

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2006, 3:02 pm

That would be a big mistake, I think. Even if you told them that it was a can full of spring snakes.

But it isn't on the prohibited list.

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2006, 10:13 pm

I managed to transport a lighter in my luggage which I found out after was on the prohibited list in even checked luggage. Whew! It was a nice one too! Glad they didn't swipe it.

At least now you can buy a $5 bottle of water and bring it on the plane. I am really getting sick of the Dept of Homeland So-called Security.

Return to “General”