Complete Walton or Dave Campbell Legacy?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Complete Walton or Dave Campbell Legacy?

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2005, 10:30 am

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right section to post this...feel free to relocate this post :)
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting either one of these 2 books when I visit london
Any thoughts?? Anyone with either books, please reply and it'll be greatly appreciated.

to make things easier I'll number the questions I'd like to ask

1. These 2 books have LOTS of material. But how many effects do you actually take away from the book(s) and perform regularly?

2. What kind of sleights are involved in the book(s)? Are there lots of passes, false deals, AFTUS??

3. Do most of the effects require a table?

4. For those of you who have Phil Goldstein's "Focus", how would you compare the book(s) with it? Are they similar in method and effects?

5. Anyone has performance clips of the effects from the book(s)?

thank you

Edwin Corrie

Re: Complete Walton or Dave Campbell Legacy?

Postby Edwin Corrie » November 11th, 2005, 6:55 am

It's difficult to generalise because all three ("The Complete Walton" is in two volumes) contain a wide variety of material. In both cases the tricks range from pretty straightforward to fairly demanding. Roy Walton's books can be a bit heavy going at times, but they are classics and deserve to be studied. Dave Campbell has quite a few things using gaffs (e.g. blank cards and cards with pictures on them), most of which I haven't tried, but I can say that the chapter on impromptu tricks has a lot of very nice stuff in it that's not too difficult.

If you're going to International Magic in London (which I think is the only place that sells the Dave Campbell book), Jerry Sadowitz will give you a much more expert opinion than I can. Just make sure you show that you have a serious interest in card magic and he can be extremely helpful.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » November 11th, 2005, 7:36 am

I can't speak to the Campbell book, but the Complete Walton (Vol. 1 & 2) is one of the great ones. Even if you don't do a single trick, you'll benefit greatly from the thinking behind the effects.

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » November 11th, 2005, 8:02 am

I do The Smiling Mule from Complete Walton all the time. Great trick, and a great way to practice your passes. Plus, its simple enough that you can just jump into it impromptu with someone else's cards.

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 11th, 2005, 11:09 am

If you're going to International Magic in London (which I think is the only place that sells the Dave Campbell book), Jerry Sadowitz will give you a much more expert opinion than I can.
Expert opinion? Last year, a friend a mine asked Jerry to show him some routines from the book and Jerry just said "F..K off" ...

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » November 11th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Originally posted by Jacky Kahan:
Expert opinion? Last year, a friend a mine asked Jerry to show him some routines from the book and Jerry just said "F..K off" ...

That's why I suggested showing a serious interest - although perhaps your friend did too and just got him on a bad day. The last few times I've been JS has been very helpful, but we should warn Eryanic that he has his "ups and downs".

Return to “General”