Too many ads in Genii!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Pete Biro

Re: Too many ads in Genii!

Postby Pete Biro » November 20th, 2003, 1:45 pm

I think a GREAT FEATURE IN GENII would be to pull out some of the great old ads, like those from Himber, Thayer and who was that guy that would run and ad, and if anybody inquired would try to invent and make the tricks up?

These kinds of old ads, espcially Himbers, would be not only entertaining but informative.
Stay tooned.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 20th, 2003, 2:00 pm

Originally posted by Jim Morton:
When I buy old magic magazines, I am always disappointed by the ones that don't have ads.
That's why I have spent hundreds of hours to scan also the ad pages when I prepared The digital Sphinx. I would have saved about 7000 pages from the 17000 scanned, or about 800 hours of work.

I agree with Pete, some of these old ads are gorgeous.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2003, 6:36 pm

Magic has not been my only hobby. I am a hobbiest no even a ( to quote Gene Anderson ) a part time pro. Any hobby I have ever made into a source of income lost a lot of the fun. One of the hobbys I used to indulge in was collection clocks and watches. There is a organization called " The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors " and they print a magazine with no ads,every other month. On the other month they print the ads. Tgheir publication is the size and format of the " Linking Rings ", the mart, their ads are multilithed letter size 20 page things sort of like a old " Allen Attic " The problem with this is the second month the god buys are all sold and all left is supplies and books, since we are talking about antiques. I don't think this would work for us and also if this magazine had no ads we could also not have to have reviews, tricks , book , video, ect. No index to advertisers want ads for used magic . By the time we cut this and that out we would get a envelope with three staples. I bet you could make money with that, ha ha . I am missing about 30 issures to having a complete file and it is the best it has ever been....lets leave it like it is.....if you don't like the ads I will email you a single edge razor blade so you can cut them out...LETS LEAVE IT LIKE IT IS......Mike :whack:

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » November 20th, 2003, 8:48 pm

I enjoy the ads simply because it is fun to see what's available on the market place. Frankly, I would not mind seeing more ads. :)

magicbar

Postby magicbar » November 27th, 2003, 1:36 pm

Perhaps what the originator or this thread, Euan, would be more interested in is a newsletter type magazine like Apocolypse or Crimp and the like that are more specialized and have less (or no) ads. There are plenty of people that go to specialty publications of all types of interests from financial to sports or fashion to crafts and they exist for a price. I just want the ads to be informative and credible.

steve jaffe
magicbar@cs.com

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » November 27th, 2003, 2:43 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I think a GREAT FEATURE IN GENII would be to pull out some of the great old ads, like those from Himber, Thayer and who was that guy that would run and ad, and if anybody inquired would try to invent and make the tricks up?

These kinds of old ads, espcially Himbers, would be not only entertaining but informative.
Ah, for the good old days...an ad for beautifully spun P&L rice bowls in the first issue of Genii for $1.25; original Thurston lithos (All Out of a Hat, Vanishing Whippet, East India Rope Trick, Iasia, Thurston portrait) one dollar each or 75 cents each if you ordered three or more (Genii, January 1946); or a set of Paul Fox cups for $15 (Genii, September 1963). :D

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 28th, 2003, 9:02 am

At first, I was P.O.'ed at Euan Bingham for what I felt was an incredibly naive post.

Then late last night, I rethought the whole thing and changed my mind.

What I concluded, perhaps incorrectly, was that Euan had decided that Genii was a damn serious magic magazine, not some piece of fluff. In that regard, adverts for "crap" (I use the term in a purposefully undefined manner) are, indeed, intrusive.

Not that anything advertisied in Genii, my employer, is crap, of course. But speaking hypothetically . . .

In that context, Euan has paid Genii a very high compliment, and I thank him on behalf of the "staff." (The quotes are there because the staff is basically Richard and Liz Kaufman, and the never-tiring Margret, plus Jon R. and the occasional contributors.)

If Genii were to appear without ads, the cost would be unaffordably high. Remember, the 16-page "Apocalypse" cost about the same as Genii, with no color.

So I offer Euan thanks for his understanding that Richard Kaufman has been unrelenting in his attempt to make a magic magazine that has a historical perspective, has a magical content of more than self-working tricks, and can deal with an article more than four pages long. That's not a put-down of other magazines, just an attempt to pay tribute to my friend.

So -- thanks, Euan!

Matt Field

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » November 29th, 2003, 12:01 am

I just read a copy of "Adbusters" today. What a weird magazine. I did notice MANY advertisments for their web site and themselves... so it's "no adds ...unless of course they are for us."
:whack:

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 29th, 2003, 8:12 am

For a better understanding of the mag, ADBUSTERS, check out the book, CULTURE JAM. Ads are ubiquitous. Even this Forum has embedded and subliminal ads. It's about DESIRE and COMMODIFYING, things and flings, wanting and wantonness, being and having...

Temperance

Postby Temperance » November 29th, 2003, 10:03 am

No Onward?

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 29th, 2003, 3:35 pm

Sorry...I was back-pedaling for the moment...

Onward...

Return to “General”