BEST MAGIC SHOP award goes to...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Ruben Padilla

BEST MAGIC SHOP award goes to...

Postby Ruben Padilla » March 20th, 2002, 2:42 pm

Last week I posted an inquiry about shops in the Tucson, Arizona area and several people recommended Williams Magic. I checked out their site (williamsmagic.com) and was saddened to find they were closed on Friday and Saturday (the days of my visit). I faxed off a letter anyway, and was amazed to have Emory Williams call me in California to arrange a time to meet at the shop. Emory drove over thirty miles to open the store on a day off (Friday night, no less!) and accomodate my desire to "look around". Granted, I purchased several items, but he had no way of knowing that when he invited me. He was simply treating a fellow magician like visiting royalty. If I was Copperfield himself I couldn't have been treated any better. I introduced Emory to my wife and mother (not the same person, thank you), and we also met his father, Emory Sr. and mom Nathalia. Together, they run the shop, and have done so for 30 years! Their range of stock is incredible, and I found many items that other shop owners have sworn to me are unavailable! Their book and video sections are huge, and there are items for every type of magic lover (stage, illusions, stand-up, mentalism, etc.) I bounced around from case to case like a little kid while Emory Sr. entertained my mother and wife with tricks and novelties. Emory Jr. patiently took his time to show me items he felt I'd like or need, and he even treated us to a few video performances of various local (and international) friends. We were offered soda and coffee, and given an extensive tour of the store, which included a warm and inviting back room (where the "guys" hang out regularly) and a mini-stage for lectures and shows. Every item I purchased was carefully explained by Emory himself, and I also learned that they do extensive mail order, and I pay no postage (in California)! Also, any defective or broken items will be repaired by the Williams family at no charge! Now, honestly, how many other shops can boast this kind of customer satisfaction and attention to detail. I know of nobody else (in magic or otherwise) who would drive half an hour on their day off to entertain a tourist/stranger. I think Williams Magic deserves to me singled out because in the realm of managing a magic shop, they're doing it completely right. I'm getting no remuneration or special consideration from writing this glowing review - I just want to share my enthusiasm with those of you who could also benefit. I regularly frequent Hollywood Magic and Brad Burt's (in San Diego, but none of them hold a candle to Williams Magic in their sheer love for the art and commitment to customer service. Thanks to those of you who pointed this shop to my attention; I hope others benefit as well (their phone number is 520-790-4060) It's the best use of The Forum that I can think of. Any other shops out there that deserve special recognition? Let's hear about it, and help support those in the art that do so well in supporting and supplying us.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Ed Oschmann

Re: BEST MAGIC SHOP award goes to...

Postby Ed Oschmann » March 20th, 2002, 9:57 pm

Ruben,
Really glad that you could see what a fantastic shop Williams' is. I've been to a lot of magic shops and you're right, no one can hold a candle to them.
I'm in Tucson right now and tomorrow is my last day to enjoy the best shop in the world. I'm bringing a copy of your post to show them.
Everyone else, make a special trip if you're in the area.
Ed

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2002, 9:10 am

Proof again that its all about ATTITUDE !
The power of being nice. So simple, yet so powerful.
Great to hear a good experience with a magic dealer.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 15th, 2002, 10:12 am

I'll vouch for Barry's Magic shop up here in Wheaton, Maryland. Barry is a fantastic guy and a great magician/demonstrator. He stocks just about every available book and even carries/still has the smaller pamphlets and books that are way out of print and currently unavailable such as the Garcia books on cards and cups and balls etc. Al's Magic and Denny Lee in Baltimore are also fantastic.

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2002, 9:39 am

Denny & Lee's hands down. You can call and ask Denny about a product and he'll give you a no BS answer!
I read about an effect that sounded great and Denny had just bought some. He was so disappointed in the working and so unconvinced of it's fool-ability that he refused to even sell them. He wouldn't associate his name with the product. Others will do anything to make a sale.

Ben S

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 18th, 2002, 10:08 pm

Joe Stevens... hands down... cuz he sells my stuff... (blatant plug)...

Seriously, Joe is one honest guy, and tries real hard to keep bringing new, quality magic to the forefront.
Stay tooned.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 22nd, 2002, 7:40 am

Speaking of your products Mr. Biro, I purchased a set of red Pete Biro crochet balls for my cups from Denny and Lee and their are really nice. Can you also make a set in white? Denny told me you don't but I had to ask you any way. I plan to buy another back up set soon because they are sewn absolutely beautifully. :)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 22nd, 2002, 10:24 am

"FOOL-ABILITY"? You mean "deceptiveness" Ben. I also agree with you-Denny is great and very patient over the phone. ;)

troublewit

Postby troublewit » April 22nd, 2002, 6:03 pm

Denny and Lee's is always the first place I go...(even though I live very close to a historic Chicago Magic shop) because of the personal service and quality products. Denny has saved me from unwise purchases, and looked out for my best interest countless times, not to mention the FREE Priority mail shipping on all orders over 25.00. For books, new and used, go directly to Richard Hatch at magicbookshop.com (H&R magic books) for the best service and the most knowledgeable dealer around.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2002, 10:03 am

I live in Central Florida and by far the best I can say is Daytona Magic, owned by Irv Cook & Harry Allen. They have an awsome website as well at http://www.daytonamagic.com and I am not an employee, just love that shop.

John :D

Return to “General”