The Raven's Creator Talks About Scripting Magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Pete McCabe

The Raven's Creator Talks About Scripting Magic

Postby Pete McCabe » August 13th, 2003, 10:40 pm

"I prefer commencing with the consideration of an effect. Keeping originality always in view -- for he is false to himself who ventures to dispense with so obvious and so easily attainable a source of interest -- I say to myself, in the first place, "Of the innumerable effects, or impressions, of which the heart, the intellect, or (more generally) the soul is susceptible, what one shall I, on the present occasion, select."

Having chosen a novel, first, and secondly a vivid effect, I consider whether it can best be wrought by incident or tone -- whether by ordinary incidents and peculiar tone, or the converse, or by peculiarity both of incident and tone -- afterward looking about me (or rather within) for such combinations of event, or tone, as shall best aid me in the construction of the effect."

-- Edgar Allan Poe
From "The Philosophy of Composition" (1846)

All right, technically he was talking about writing (constructing a story, specifically), but I think his words are as applicable to presenting magic today as they were a hundred and fifty years ago.

Kamus

Re: The Raven's Creator Talks About Scripting Magic

Postby Kamus » August 14th, 2003, 12:26 pm

Interesting, though somehow I was expecting a quote from Chuck Leach!
-Dave Kane

seraph127

Postby seraph127 » September 3rd, 2003, 8:08 am

Mr. McCabe

Intriguing! Let us for a moment follow your lead and imagine that Poe was speaking of magic. The suggestion would seem to be that first one select an "effect or impression" then choose a composition conformal to this end. What would magic be like if first we considered what aspect of humanity we wished to touch and used this as a guide in creating a magical effect?

I marvel to ponder it.

Or if I could ever find such artistry as to realize it.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 3rd, 2003, 10:06 am

Pete --
Poe, huh? I thought it was Tommy Wonder speaking.

Matt Field

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 3rd, 2003, 10:58 am

Matt,

Tommy Wonder?

Seraph127:

What you describe is exactly how Penn and Teller create their magic. Others too, I'm sure.

Pete

Return to “General”