Annemann's Russian Roulette

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Annemann's Russian Roulette

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2003, 9:38 am

I heard there was an explanation of Annemann's Russian Roulette in an older issue of Genii. Can somebody tell me which issue/year/month this was in?

Pit Finn
http://www.pitfinn.com

EdAndres

Re: Annemann's Russian Roulette

Postby EdAndres » September 16th, 2003, 11:20 pm

Annemann didn't do a Russian roulette. He did a bullet catch. There IS a difference. It wasn't explained in the Annemann issue of Genii(Vol.56, number 1 Nov. 1992).

It(the bullet catch) was explained in Orville Meyer's "Magic in the Modern Manner"

I asked Orville about this one day... he just rolled his eyes and said... "you young guys, always asking about Annemann. Don't do it, don't think about it...."

Speaking of Russian roulette... I saw a magician horrify an entire audience with this trick. From charging around firing off blanks unannounced to making a woman hold a gun AFTER she said no. Trust me nowadays leave the gun at home. Even the dart gun seems out of place as an entertainment tool.

:eek:

Carl Skenes

Postby Carl Skenes » September 17th, 2003, 5:32 pm

The Bullet Catch routine, as performed by Annemann, was originally created and performed by Orville Meyer in 1931. Meyer's exact routine, along with its many variations, has also been published in GENII(December, 1942) and Ben Robinson's book, TWELVE HAVE DIED(1986).

martinka

Postby martinka » September 18th, 2003, 7:00 pm

Maurice Fogel performed a piece that he called Russian Roulette, where a number of air rifles were aimed at plates and one at his head. I've examined the apparatus and you would have to be insane to try it.

You can read about it in The World's Greatest Magic by Hyla Clark.

Ted
Ted Bogusta
Martinka & Co.
wwww.martinka.com
201-444-7576

Return to “General”