Biographies

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Biographies

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2003, 11:50 am

Hi all, Can anyone tell me were i can get biographys of Magicians from. Thanks

Sean Piper

Re: Biographies

Postby Sean Piper » October 5th, 2003, 3:47 pm

Any of the larger book stores should carry many biographies of performers from all fields. Try Borders or even Amazon.com.

Recently I've read:

The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini

Mysterious Stranger - David Blaine (biography?!!?)

Uri Geller - Magician or Mystic?

I can highly recommend all of the above.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 5th, 2003, 4:26 pm

I really really disliked the The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini and heartily recommend Silvermans seemingly much better research Houdini bio.

Ted Leon

Postby Ted Leon » October 5th, 2003, 9:03 pm

The research and documentation dosen't get any better the the work done on "Carter the Great" by Mike Caveney. Is is a very compelling story of a very magical life.

Olsen's two volumes on Howard Thurston are also wonderful and, in my opinion, a must read.

To miss reading Arthur Brandon's, "Milo and Roger" is to miss one the best biograghies every penned. When reading this one, you find yourself with the book laying on your chest, looking off in a daze, and saying, "WOW".

There are many more........
Ted (Leondo)

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2003, 9:12 pm

Ted is right with the Milo & Roger book - I second, third, and forth the nomination! FANTASTIC!

Enjoy!
Tiny

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2003, 11:40 am

YES! The Milo & Rogers book is the best reading you will have in years! I have given and referred copies to others, with the promise that if you have things to do, you will delay them, because you will keep turning pages to find out what happens next...you will put the book down at least 5+ times to finish laughing...Milo is a great storyteller who "cuts up jackpots" better than anyone.
On the down side, Brandon's Houdini book is an example of those who substitute conjecture for research and arrogance for documentation. Silverman's book is the best!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 6th, 2003, 12:23 pm

I really enjoyed the Eddie Fields book (A life amongst secrets? by Steven Minch)

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2003, 7:11 pm

An excellent biography and the timing could not be better. Siegfried & Roy Mastering the Impossible copyright 1992. A beautiful book very nicely illustrated and a must read.
Rennie.

Return to “General”