Is Johnny Lonn well known?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Tom Stone

Is Johnny Lonn well known?

Postby Tom Stone » April 3rd, 2002, 6:25 pm

The english magician Paul Zenon is the guest on a discussion board at http://magictricks.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic

In a TV show he did a while back, he did a bit where he makes an attempt to vanish a radio, but it doesn't go away and crashes to the ground.
This is also the final moment in the silent act of Johnny Lonn, which I assumed was very well known.

So I asked Zenon about it. His reply was that he had never seen Johnny, and didn't know anything about his act.
Instead, he suggested that maybe Johnny had "lifted" that bit from a British performer named Sonny Hayes, who does a similar thing, and who Zenon also was unaware of when he did that TV special.

I thought that it was unlikely that anyone seriously interested in magic could be unaware of Johnny Lonn's act. But since I might be wrong, I thought that I should ask here before I reply to Zenon again:
Is Johnny's act considered to be well known?

Frank Yuen

Re: Is Johnny Lonn well known?

Postby Frank Yuen » April 3rd, 2002, 6:51 pm

I've seen his act twice but I don't think Johnny Lonn would be considered a "well known" magician, especially to the younger generation of magicians or newbies to magic. It might be possible though, that he is much better known in Europe.

Frank Yuen

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 4th, 2002, 6:55 am

Tom -- I'm certainly not the most knowledgable magician in the world, but I've never heard of Johnny Lonn.

Matt Field

Thomas Van Aken

Postby Thomas Van Aken » April 4th, 2002, 8:22 am

Hi Tom,
Nice to see that tings seems to go well for you (ie: the entusiastic comments about your apparence at the Magic Castle)!
Speaking of J.Lonn, I think he is well known at least of European magicians, he perform at various convention, last that I am aware was in the final gala of R. MacMillan convention. (London) in decembre 1999.
Thomas Van Aken

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 4th, 2002, 11:15 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
[QB]I've never heard of Johnny Lonn.
Then you have something to look forward to. His act is really funny.
Johnny is one of the three swedes that I thought almost everyone knew about (the other two are Topper Martyn and Lennart Green). If I don't remember wrong, he even performed in a Doug Henning show for a while.

Thomas; thanks for your opinion regarding Johnny's eventual fame.
Regarding myself, I'm not sure that I'm doing well. The response at the Castle was good and enthustiastic, but as both you and I know, americans has no taste. ;)

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2002, 12:56 pm

Indeed I thought Johnny Lonn was well known in the U.S. . . . or at least he used to be back in the late 1970's. I remember him from one of the HBO specials "Mumbo Jumbo - It's Magic" or one of those specials (I have it in beta format video collection somewhere). I later saw him in St. Louis when he performed in Kiel Auditorium as part of the Doug Henning show around 1976.

I went back stage to meet Doug Henning and first got to talk with Johnny Lonn for a bit. I remember there being several people around us at the time (maybe a half-dozen or so) and I remarked to him how much I enjoyed his show. He feigned a sudden loss of hearing so I had to repeat it a couple of times, each time a bit louder so everyone around could hear. Great gag.

I've not heard too much of him in the States in recent decades but I think that Magic Hands produced a poster of him. I'm not sure about that, but I think I saw one.

yours,
Scott

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » April 4th, 2002, 3:07 pm

Tom,
To reassure you there is no doubt Johnny Lonn is very well known. The first time I have seen his act was during the FISM'67 convention in Baden Baden, Germany. Comedy combined with skilful manipulations was a really eye-opener for me and many others. BTW Baden Baden was the first FISM with a big group of Americans. As I remember well there was quite a lot of competition between the group of the Magic Castle (Bill and Irene) and the group of Emil Loew. I have seen the act of Johnny Lonn many times during the years and it is remarkable there is still evolution in his act. There are always small details that makes the act as fresh as it was in the seventies. Lonn is multitalented; he is also a qualified painter. I have seen his act act several times in the UK, so for me it is a complete miracle Mr. Zenon (never heard about that guy :D :D ) didn't know anything about his act.
Kind regards,
Dick Koornwinder

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » April 4th, 2002, 7:17 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering, I checked my Magic Hands poster collection and Johnny Lonn's poster is the May 1989 issue.

It's a great photo also.

Best,

Mark

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » April 5th, 2002, 2:16 am

Johnny is one of the three Swedes that I thought almost everyone knew about (the other two are Topper Martyn and Lennart Green)
What about 'El Duco'?

:D

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 2:55 am

BOB ARNO is also one of the most famous magicians/pickpocket entertainers from sweden.

http://www.bobarno.com/

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 5th, 2002, 3:50 am

Originally posted by Dick Koornwinder:
Tom,
To reassure you there is no doubt Johnny Lonn is very well known.
Thanks for your thoughts, Dick.
I'm thinking of going to FISM next year. Will you be there also? I would love to have lunch with you and Tommy again.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 6th, 2002, 8:55 pm

Lonn was a hit at the Las Vegas World Magic Seminar last January... and I had seen him before, but my rusty old brain cannot recall exactly where... probably at a FISM some time in the past.

He is a very very funny and talented performer.

Swedes well-known, or should be are: Tom Stone, Johnny Lonn, Topper Martyn and Lennert Green.

There must be more...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2002, 10:29 am

I don't know when Paul Zenon or Sonny Hayes performed the comedy vanishing radio, but I do remember seeing Johnny Lonn perform this on American television in the late 1970's. There were a series of half hour long magic shows in syndication at the time and he was on one of them. I believe the performances were filmed at a FISM convention. Hope this helps.
bill

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 11th, 2002, 12:37 pm

If the preceeding post, by bgoodwin, was written by Bill Goodwin, then here's a big "Hello" from an admirer, and welcome to the Genii Forum.

I am a big fan of your card magic and looking forward to your new magazine with Gordon Bean (my predecessor as Genii Video Reviewer).

Of course if bgoodwin as NOT bill goodwin . . . as Emily Litella used to say, never mind.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2002, 1:46 pm

To add to Mr. Goodwin's input:

The show was Bill Bixby's Wonderful World of Magic. But it was the mid 70s, if not early.

It was shot at FISM and then pieced together. The audience shots are a real scary riot these days.

Johnny Lonn was, for me, the stand out act of the group...and there were some heavy hitters.

I hope one day to see him in person. Hey, there is my vote for "most want to see at FISM in 2003".

Tom Cutts

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 11th, 2002, 6:33 pm

Right, Tom, 'twas FISM, in Paris actually, and the film company had David Niven there to host segments, but they went broke and a production company bought the footage and brought Bixby in to be the host... which led to his interest in magic and the rest is history... :D
Stay tooned.

John Houdi

Postby John Houdi » May 6th, 2002, 2:50 am

For those of you who have never seen Johnny Lonn; you certainly have a lot to look forward to.
Johnny has now more or less retired perusing an international career. He perform his well known silent comedy act at magic conventions then and then around the world.
He is more into art nowadays. He recently held an exhibition here in Stockholm with his paintings.
He mostly performs at corporate functions here in Sweden but very, very seldom presents his silent comedy act. Hes doing a speaking act with ropes, Chinese sticks and stuff.
He is also working as a speaker at corporate seminars and the likes.

If you like to see how he looks like (or just to refresh your memory) you can look into his website. Dont try to e-mail him, he seldom checks his mailbox..

www.johnnylonn.se

best,
/John Houdi
www.houdi.se

Return to “General”