The Real Paul Fox Story

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Pete Biro

The Real Paul Fox Story

Postby Pete Biro » February 12th, 2005, 12:23 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Joe Porper/Pete Biro to Manufacture Authorized Paul Fox Line of Magic

The alliance between Joe Porper and Pete Biro is pleased to announce the granting of exclusive rights to the Paul Fox line of magic by the Paul Fox Estate.

Long known for the highest quality and innovative magic, Paul Fox effects were produced in limited quantities over the years, and remain some of the most sought-after props in magic.

Following his death, and the passing of long-time associate Danny Dew, permission had never been granted by the Paul Fox Estate to anyone to manufacture his magic. Several have made claims, but no one had ever been granted the rights from the Fox Estate.

When the high-quality, and the ethical standards of Joe Porper and Pete Biro were brought to the attention of Margaret Fox-Mandel, the surviving daughter of Paul Fox, she contacted them to ask if they would be able to manufacture items created by here father to the same standards as he did.

"I want the Paul Fox name to be brought back to the standard it had been, and remembered as one of the great magic manufacturers of his time," said Mrs. Mandel.

It didnt take long for them to decide this was a great opportunity to bring Paul Fox Magic to a new generation of magicians starving for high-quality magic.

We have the technical know-how, and the expertise, to produce Paul Foxes magic at an even higher level of quality, thanks to our CNC milling machines and advanced engineering and fabrication facilities, said Joe Porper. Pete Biro added, Paul Fox was a genius at combining technically excellent magic with aesthetically pleasing designs. Something we will proudly continue.

At the World Magic Seminar we will introduce the prototype of the famous Paul Fox Salt Pour gimmick. They will be manufactured to the same specifications as the originals, and prototype work has begun on the Paul Fox Beer Trick and Rising Cards, added Porper.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The Real Paul Fox Story

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 12th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Congratulations Mssrs. Biro and Porper! I am quite certain that magicdom will rejoice in this news and support your efforts accordingly!

Dustin

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » February 12th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Go, go, Pete and Joe!

brian :cool:

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » February 12th, 2005, 2:31 pm

Awesome!! :)

Tabman

Postby Tabman » February 12th, 2005, 3:46 pm

Congratulations Pete!!!! Ya'll did it!! That's great to see it in good hands. All the best for even more success.

-=tabman

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » February 14th, 2005, 10:16 am

I am looking forward to the catalogue and/or website! :D It's really great to see such a venerable line of magical apparatus in the hands of craftsmen and gentlemen. Good luck!

Steve V

Postby Steve V » February 14th, 2005, 11:06 pm

Are y'all going to be doing the Paul Fox cups? I have seen that come up as a question on some other boards.
Steve V
Steve V

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » February 15th, 2005, 3:25 am

Several years ago on GeMiNi, Pete Biro wrote the following about the 'Paul Fox Beer Trick'.

An empty, ungaffed, beer (or coke) can is shown, and spun on a wand if you wish... it is filled with "hops" or confetti... from a small paper bag. It is covered for a moment by inverting the bag over the can.

The can is actually displayed by setting it onto the foot of an upturned beer glass (the kind that are narrow at bottom and wide at top) so it is
elevated and away from table, props etc.

When the bag is lifted off - and tossed aside - the can is full of beer or soda or, and can be handed out.
Pete also noted that the effect can be performed surrounded.

Sounds good to me.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2005, 9:42 am

Good? It is great... one of Paul Fox's greatest items. We'll have ONE on display at WMS next week.
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 15th, 2005, 10:04 am

Atta boy, Pete. You and Joe have done a wonderful thing.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2005, 10:41 am

Cups....you make?
Steve V

James Lee

Postby James Lee » February 15th, 2005, 11:59 am

One more reason to wish I could go to the WMS! I'll watch from afar and hope to see pictures. Good luck Pete and Joe!

James

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 15th, 2005, 4:51 pm

Your table shall be my first stop in the dealer's room Pete. I have to see that!

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » February 15th, 2005, 5:22 pm

Uh, does this mean you'll be yanking some of my future eBay auctions? :p

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2005, 6:19 pm

Only Dentist Yank... (you know "he" was going to be a dentist)!!! :D
Stay tooned.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » February 15th, 2005, 9:12 pm

I'm taking this as a 'no' to the cups....
Steve V
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Cups a no? NOT... just not first on our list.
Stay tooned.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » February 15th, 2005, 11:33 pm

Seems the story may have changed...

I just received word from Mr. Porper after inquiring of purchasing some items, specifically the salt pour that due to a "conflict of interest" he will not be manufacturing the Paul Fox stuff. He didn't elaborate. Bummer.

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2005, 6:32 am

Pete,
A little off the subject. I was going through some old vhs tapes I have at home on magic and came across the P.C.A.M. show from 1978 and appears it was in Japan. loved your routine with the table, where the legs were falling off, just wanted you to know, funny, funny. The tape is really hard to watch as it is very unclear but still able to view it.One of the highlights on the tape was the late great Fred Kaps, smoking his thumb. I only wish the tape was clearer.Great stuff though.
Rennie

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » February 16th, 2005, 9:07 am

Originally posted by Mr. Stickley:
Seems the story may have changed...

I just received word from Mr. Porper after inquiring of purchasing some items, specifically the salt pour that due to a "conflict of interest" he will not be manufacturing the Paul Fox stuff. He didn't elaborate. Bummer.
Keith;
Perhaps it has to do with who really owns the Paul Fox Trademark and name at this time?

The plot thickens.....

To me the moral of the story is to never sell your name. Over the long haul, it does not help your heirs.

A lot can be learned from the Paul Fox name, trademark, "rights" situation as it has changed over the years and continues to change (interesting and educational).
Jim

Postby Guest » February 16th, 2005, 10:05 am

Did anyone think of filming certain magicians as they are informed bout this development? I wish luck to all involved with the project.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 16th, 2005, 3:40 pm

NOT TRUE... a rumor. The Salt Pour is being held off because Hocus-Pocus is marketing the KOZAK version and we don't want to be in conflict.

We have a signed contract with the Estate to manufacture and market Paul Fox Magic.

PERIOD.
Stay tooned.

The Grate Amazmo

Postby The Grate Amazmo » February 17th, 2005, 8:44 am

The Paul Fox Beer Trick is a magnificent effect. It was my closing effect all the years I worked comedy clubs and it is still a staple in my act. I have performed the trick over 3,500 times. I know this number is correct because I made and used that many fakes.

I bought my first two sets from Jeff Busby in 1976. I bought three more a few years later from Vic Kirk and I bought the last six Danny said he had from him in the early 1980s. The effect was designed for steel beer cans. One came with each trick. I have Miller cans, Budweiser cans, Coca Cola cans and Pepsi cans among others.

I hope whoever is now going to manufacture the trick is aware of the six changes Danny said he would make to the trick were he to manufacture it again. Also, good luck changing the fake to accommodate the new aluminum cans. Aluminum cans are fundamentally different and will pose a formidable challenge to the manufacture.

Please remember that the beauty of the effect lies in its simplicity. It is not a magic prop, gimmick or contrivance. It is simply an empty beer can, a glass and a small bag of confetti.
Thanks Danny and Paul.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 17th, 2005, 9:02 am

Rich: Great to hear from you. Wow, you have to be the expert on this one! I have hand written stuff from Danny Dew and the actual glass he used when he performed it.
Stay tooned.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » February 20th, 2005, 3:00 am

The rights and trademark issues are interesting here... isn't RNT2 manufacturing mini Paul Fox cups right now (complete with PF logo)?

Bob

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 20th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Yes.... but frankly, the cup market is dead thanks to Penguin/Magic Makers.
Stay tooned.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » February 21st, 2005, 1:19 pm

Ugh, but some of us wont' buy from Penguin or Magic Makers. The question is, are there enough of "us" to matter?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 21st, 2005, 10:24 pm

Are you a successful dot com guy? Wanna invest? We'll make any cups you want! :D :D

Actually, right now you can get Johnson Cups and/or RNT2.com has cups...

I still have some Johnny Paul Cups in brass availabble.
Stay tooned.

Bob Walder

Postby Bob Walder » February 22nd, 2005, 1:17 am

I don't think that the cup market is dead.

Jim Riser
RNT2
Gary Animal/Gazzo (Magicpitch)
Pete Biro
Brett Sherwood
Van Dokkum
Johnson

All the above sell QUALITY merchandise, and there is a wide range of styles and materials to choose from in the above list

Bob

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 26th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Pete and I discussed this at WMS. What a great time to be a cup collector. I have 7 or 8 sets. I most often use my Riser standards and of course the Sherwood silver engraved. All those companies make wonderful products. If you're a collector, you should probably get them now, they may not be around forever.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 23rd, 2005, 5:30 pm

Does Joe Porper have a webpage for his magic products, including the new PF stuff? I could only find his billiards page.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 23rd, 2005, 5:42 pm

Go to www.porperoriginals.com

New stuff will be added soon... I JUST SENT the images to the webmaster.

None of the Fox stuff yet. Soon will be the Beer Trick (two ways real alcoholic beer or root beer). We supply "vintage" real, steel, straight-sided cans.

Any questions just use the "contact us" link on the website.
Stay tooned.

Return to “General”