Ten Ichi Thumbtie

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Bryan Dreyfus

Ten Ichi Thumbtie

Postby Bryan Dreyfus » January 29th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Can someone direct me to or supply me with detailed instructions on the Ten Ichi Thumb Tie.

I knew it years ago and used it alot but have lost the knowlege due to non-use.

Bryan
Bryan

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Ten Ichi Thumbtie

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 29th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Bryan,
Check out Tarbell, Vol 4. It's in there.

-Jim

Bryan Dreyfus

Postby Bryan Dreyfus » January 29th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Thanx Jim..I have that.

Bryan
Bryan

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 30th, 2006, 10:17 am

The Dai Vernon book has Paul Rosini's method, adapted by Vernon. This is probably close to the original method as Paul learned it from Carl Rosini by observation and Carl learned it from Ten Ichi.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2006, 9:23 am

Apparently Ten Ichi used the thumb tie as a bartering tool for learning new tricks. In addition to Rosini, he also taught the thumb tie to Nate Leipzig in return for the secret of his ring on stick routine.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 5th, 2006, 9:28 am

Alexander is right. The Vernon book IS the real work. I learned it in Japan from Takagi and it is exactly as written in Vernon's book. The real secret is in the choreography. Your hands "move like a bird."
Stay tooned.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » March 5th, 2006, 10:25 am

If you can find Willard the Wizard by Bergeron, there is an interesting take on the thumb tie in there.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

brownbeauty

Postby brownbeauty » March 5th, 2006, 11:19 am

Also located in "The Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi" written by Richard Kaufman

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 5th, 2006, 1:17 pm

When I was a kid, Bergeron showed me his version of the Willard Thumb Tie. I thought I figured out the workings without Bev actually teaching me. I went home and experimented, discovered that I was correct, but never did the trick using Willard's method.

Why? you might ask...

The specific type of cord used by Willard (and necessary for his method) was murder on the thumbs when used properly. It just ground up the sides of the thumbs, turning the skin into raw hamburger after a few performances. For it to be practical, a performer would have to toughen up the skin of both thumbs, something I had no interest in doing, then or now. Willard must have had extremely thick skin after doing it for so many years.

While extremely clever, the methodology of the Willard Thumb Tie will probably remain exclusive to Willard.

The effect is what the trick is all about anyway, and there are many effective methods that are available in the literature. One that baffles just magicians isn't worth all the pain and suffering that Willard's requires.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I like Mack King's version with the twist ties. I

don't think it's in print but somewhere there was

a version with pipecleaners that is the same thing

( IMHO ) Harry Anderson's has a version in his

book called cufflinks ? that very good also. He

did it on one of his specials a few years ago.

Both of these are really thumbthing.....Mike

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 5th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Mac King uses the Jaspernese Thumb Tie, invented by Jay Marshall using pipe cleaners. Mac adapted the handling to use twist ties (a more common object today).
Stay tooned.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 5th, 2006, 9:27 pm

While we're on the Thumb Tie - does anyone have a good ending? I always thought the effect was interesting, but lacked a real climax when the spectator helping you out had to cut your thumbs apart at the end....somewhat anticlimactic, I always thought, which is the main reason I stopped doing the effect a long time ago.

I've heard various solutions including one English performer who was quite famous for the Thumb Tie, simply walking offstage after he'd done the various penetrations, walking back on stage a few seconds later to take his bows with his thumbs untied.

I'm interested in what the members of the Forum might suggest.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Watching Jonathan Neal Brown's presentation, is a good lesson of making an effect, a vehicle for entertaining an audience...the humorous interplay with the volunteer as much/more important, than the the skill he displays, that the audience appreciates as well.
The entertainment value he derives, while the volunteer frees his thumbs, turns what would be downtime for others, into a funny payoff.

(Was Ricki Dunn restoring a burnt dollar bill, or Blackstone finding the chosen card during,"Committee", what audiences remember?)

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » March 6th, 2006, 5:16 am

While we're on the Thumb Tie - does anyone have a good ending?
I can recall reading somewhere of an idea for a gag finish in which the performer comments that the 'thumb tie' is too tight and that his thumbs are beginning to swell. When the performer then shows his tied thumbs, they've swelled to an impossibly large cartoon-like size.

This may fit the performance style of some performers.

Ross Welford

Postby Ross Welford » March 6th, 2006, 8:29 am

The American magician John Lenehan, who performs around London UK, does the version with pipe cleaners. It's very funny and completely baffling. There's something about the pipe cleaners that adds to the effect, I think - we know that becasue they are made of wire they won't stretch AND could hurt.

Return to “General”