Magicians on stamps

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Magicians on stamps

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 7:40 pm

As you no doubt know, the United States Postal Service occasionally issues commemorative stamp series. Just about every field of human endeavor is represented in these stamps. For example, there was a series of Hollywood film composers (Steiner, Herrmann, Friedhofer, Newman, and a couple others). Jazz singers (Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, etc). Architects, poets, dancers - you get the idea.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the post office issued a series called "Great American Magicians"?
I can easily picture a sheet of, say, five stamps. Houdini, Kellar, Thurston, Blackstone, and Dante would be great choices. Perhaps each magician could be doing something that's identified with him - Blackstone holding a birdcage, Kellar doing a levitation, and so on.
I understand the post office takes suggestions like these from citizens. Wouldn't you like to see a series of stamps like this?
PS Non-Americans are welcome to respond to this post.

Stefan Fisher

Re: Magicians on stamps

Postby Stefan Fisher » January 31st, 2007, 1:15 pm

:) I'd love to see such a set of stamps. We got the Houdini one a couple of years ago, so we might not get another of him. Also it took a lot of hard work to get the post office to agree to that stamp. Anyone know the official submission process?

Stefan Fisher

Re: Magicians on stamps

Postby Stefan Fisher » January 31st, 2007, 1:40 pm

Who else might fit the criteria of great American magicians deserving to be put on a stamp?

My choices would be:
Al Baker
Dai Vernon (born in Canada, but lived most of his life in the U.S.)
Alexander Herrmann (born in Europe, but lived most of his life in the U.S.)
Adelaide Herrmann (It would be great to include a woman)
William Robinson (AKA Chung Ling Soo)
Joseph Dunninger
Max Malini (born in Europe, but lived most of his life in the U.S.)
T. Nelson Downs
Nate Leipzig (born in Europe, but lived much of his life in the U.S.)
Doug Henning (If it's been long enough since his passing)
Charles Carter

Return to “General”