ERDNASE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Roger M.

Re: ERDNASE

Postby Roger M. » June 20th, 2019, 10:33 am

Zig Zagger wrote:Granted, that's rubbish.....

It is indeed.
I'm not interested in another fundamentally inaccurate MFA take on Erdnase.

Every additional bit of made-up crap dished out as "hard fact" obfuscates the case that much further - and does nothing to advance the conversation.

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » June 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Roger M. wrote:
Zig Zagger wrote:Granted, that's rubbish.....

It is indeed.
I'm not interested in another fundamentally inaccurate MFA take on Erdnase.

Every additional bit of made-up crap dished out as "hard fact" obfuscates the case that much further - and does nothing to advance the conversation.

You do have a very valid point Roger. I am surprised that the whole story of Erdnase has not been made into some feature-length film. There have been multi-million dollar budgets spent on many inferior subjects...

Saying that "if" something was made it probably would be based on fiction. Maybe there is not enough context to make a worthy full-length film. The only short film I have seen was on the 10 DVD Erdnase set done by Allan Ackerman. One of the first scenes was Erdnase shuffling with a plastic Bee deck from about 2003..... attention to detail at its best!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 28th, 2019, 3:23 pm

If you start with the printer, the fire, the plates, and the exact documented input of the illustrator ... you have your mystery. Whether or not you add "Nosey" to finance the book or the literati of the time ... well remember the lesson of the Lotta. ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » August 19th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Roger M. wrote:I'm not interested in another fundamentally inaccurate MFA take on Erdnase.

Then you will be interested in this scholarly article found by Q. Kumber about flaws in recent Voynich Manuscript research and debates and the telling parallels with our Erdnasian skirmish here: https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51963
Interviews, news, musings, and artsy stuff: Have a look at our growing magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 28th, 2019, 1:14 am

More anagrammatic pseudonyms:
Science Fiction author Hugo Gernsback (for whom the Hugo Award is named) wrote under the names Grego Banshuck, Greno Gashbuck, Kars Gugenchob, Gus N. Habergock & Beno Ruckshagg. Mort Weisinger wrote under the name Tom Erwin Geris.

And for those of you scoring at home, don't miss the examples in this thread.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies

Postby Bob Coyne » August 28th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:More anagrammatic pseudonyms:
Science Fiction author Hugo Gernsback (for whom the Hugo Award is named) wrote under the names Grego Banshuck, Greno Gashbuck, Kars Gugenchob, Gus N. Habergock & Beno Ruckshagg. Mort Weisinger wrote under the name Tom Erwin Geris.

And for those of you scoring at home, don't miss the examples in this thread.

Nice...amazing how many there are!

For anyone wanting to see all of the above and others in one place, I've collected them from this thread and put in an appendix to my Sanders/Erdnase document: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~coyne/erdnase-sanders-use-of-language.html#reversed-pen-names

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 3rd, 2019, 6:18 pm

My father was a coin collector, and a collector of related things. He also collected medals and tokens, paper money, depression scrip, and old checks drawn on middle Tennessee banks (where he lived his whole life). So when he died, Mom and I and to go through a lot of stuff. Amongst other things, he had a bunch of issues of The Check Collector, which was a privately published periodical for collectors of checks, with articles about them, ads for sale, etc. There are issues of this on the Internet Archive, if you want to see them.

Oddly enough, one of them has an article by Chris Wasshuber, in which he gives a short version of the Erdnase story and requests help in finding the check written to Marshall D. Smith to pay for Smith's artwork. It would be a billion-to-one shot if it is ever found, but good for him for asking. The funny thing about it is that the editor of the journal, after Chris's short article, immediately points out that S. W. Erdnase is E. S. Andrews, reversed: "This would be quite a coincidence if it were not purposeful. . . . "

Return to “General”