Pick the new Martin Nash book Cover

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Max Rodriguez

Pick the new Martin Nash book Cover

Postby Max Rodriguez » June 26th, 2005, 4:45 pm

I talked to the author and he said the book is almost ready and going through the final editing.Now Mike said he is going to do soemthing no one has ever done.We the people are going to get to pick the cover.just post on this forum which cover you like.

http://www.thecharmingcheat.com/cover1.jpg

http://www.thecharmingcheat.com/cover2.jpg

http://www.thecharmingcheat.com/cover3.jpg

Re: Pick the new Martin Nash book Cover

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2005, 4:50 pm

Cover #3

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » June 26th, 2005, 5:07 pm

I agree....#3 hands down.

Adrian

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2005, 5:09 pm

#3 was my favorite.

Just not #1. The Matrix is all played out.

Max Rodriguez

Postby Max Rodriguez » June 26th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Yes the 2nd one is nice.Its very classy with Nash on the cover.I do think the backround should be a little differnet its kind of dulll.maybe have something like cover 3 as the backround then a pic of nash

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 26th, 2005, 6:16 pm

I prefer cover #2. It's more Martin's style, if you ask me. I think what I do not like about #3 is the poker chips. Martin would never clutter his "stage" with poker chips.

Dustin

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » June 26th, 2005, 6:31 pm

#2. Classiest of the three and least likely to look dated in 10 years.

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » June 26th, 2005, 6:53 pm

I vote for cover #2.
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » June 26th, 2005, 8:03 pm

Not meaning to offend, but I don't like any of the three. Here's why:

#1 is meaningless. And cold.
#2 looks like a rough draft that didn't make it past
the storyboard stage.
#3 is horrible! Martin's magic is classy. This
cover looks like a train wreck.

Let the Genii art director take a shot at it.

Ken Becker

Postby Ken Becker » June 26th, 2005, 8:53 pm

I agree with Richard. Don't like any of the three. Need to put some class into it; and none of them accomplish that.
Someone needs to go back to the drawing board!
Ken Becker :confused:

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 26th, 2005, 10:53 pm

If those are the choices, then #2 with the following changes...

Solid rather than outline font.

Reduce the size of the card suit symbols. I understand why they are there but they should look like the ones on the bracelet. The ones on the cover are larger than the font used for "NASH"

Move the authors name to the spine of the book to simplify the cover.

Drop "Reloaded" from the title and simply call the book NASH

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 12:09 am

Please don't let these be the cover of Martin Nash's new book.

My small recommendation, have the Buck twins design the cover. The packaging for the upcoming Daniel Garcia DVDs look spectacular.

http://www.dananddave.com/db2/dg_project/index.html

Very professional. Have them put something together.

Sorry, but the above covers look very amature. I know that's not the "pick one" feedback you were looking for, but just being brutally honest.

Josh

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » June 27th, 2005, 12:49 am

Cover #2, but with Bill's recommendations.

---
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.co.uk/
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 27th, 2005, 1:39 am

#2 is the only one whose style and content at all reflect Martin. It's the only one that's at all charming.

But the font can be improved; it's garish and neon (Martin Nash is not neon!), and nearly unreadable. And the suits seem to be in italic. I'm not sure what that could mean.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 27th, 2005, 1:46 am

I mean no offence, but these look like they were done by someone with no professional training and little experience.

I concur with the poster that suggested giving it to Genii Art Director!

goaty

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » June 27th, 2005, 5:19 am

Surprising that Martin Nash would agree to allow other people to vote on this because I thought Martin really hated the cover of his last book, the very limited edition of Inifinity Power.

The cover is not that important anyway... only fools judge a book by its cover.

Michel Huot

Postby Michel Huot » June 27th, 2005, 10:27 am

First, I too think that something better can be done and as for the importance of the cover, I think that it is very important.

For me it should reflect the inside of the book and the personality of (in this case) M. Nash.

This is why cover #1 is not at all appropriate (if you remember a genii issue a couple of years ago with the Buck Twins, then it was appropriate, young, action etc)

People in the magazine business and book business spends thousands of dollars so their cover is better than the others

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 10:33 am

I vote with a black cover and basic gold print, black profile of Martin. Simple and Michael can have time to chase his twins around.
Steve V

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 27th, 2005, 12:42 pm

None do it for me... but No. 2 could be re-worked. I think his picture should be on the cover.
Stay tooned.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 27th, 2005, 2:24 pm

#2 with the suggestions above, esp smaller card suits and maybe a bigger picture of martin.

3 is too busy and 1 is too young and hip and will be dated by the time it's published.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Max Rodriguez

Postby Max Rodriguez » June 27th, 2005, 3:17 pm

I agree with Ryan.Nash pic should be bigger and a diferent backround

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » June 27th, 2005, 3:19 pm

They all look like a "rush" job with very little thought in regard to Mr. Nash or the content of the book.

Beside that - Don't we have a "post a poll" option on the GENII forum that would be better suited than individual posts?

Dave

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 4:06 pm

If you're going to call the book Reloaded, then you have to use cover #1. Personally, I don't like the title or any of the three covers. I really like Martin's work though.

Max Rodriguez

Postby Max Rodriguez » June 27th, 2005, 4:32 pm

I do too think the name should be changed .I dont know may be The classic magic of Martin A Nash

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 4:46 pm

I think Michael and Martin should decide what to name it. One thing, that same photo was used on the cover of the lecture notes put out for Martins final lecture a few years ago.
Steve V

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2005, 7:54 pm

I'm sorry to say but I don't care for any of the three selections. I think the author/writer could do much better.

This is one book that I've been looking forward to for some time. Good luck to all those who are putting this project together.

And for you magicians out there, put your DVDs to the side for a moment and don't let magic books become obsolete, support and encourage the published efforts of our craft's artists.

Roberto

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » June 28th, 2005, 12:39 am

Sadly, those three covers don't do the best job at emphasizing the quality of what's inside. (most likely)

I will not offer criticism, since everyone's already done that. I'll merely point out a few things regarding magic and design.

Books and DVDs have problems selling sometimes. Someone will always buy something that looks nice--if they're going to buy something. Thinking about where books are going to be seen, having striking art is more and more important; particularly since this cover will most likely be sold through many online dealers, the cover thumbnail will be put online and be the only thing some buyers will see.

But this can all be shot to hell, some very ugly magic books somehow sell. (And more and more ugly things are coming out with the "great" technology called "desktop publishing.")

(This advice comes from working in design and production with websites, newspapers, and magazines)
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2005, 3:25 am

Originally posted by ecphora:
If you're going to call the book Reloaded, then you have to use cover #1. Personally, I don't like the title or any of the three covers. I really like Martin's work though.
Warner Bros may have an issue with that idea.

For those that are unaware, the graphic is from a film called The Matrix that had a sequel called Matrix: Reloaded. This is referencing that. And as I bet WB have better lawyers than Mr Nash, it's possibly not such a good idea to 'borrow' from them.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » June 28th, 2005, 6:12 am

3 points:

First: I think that we would do a better service to Mrs. Sorensen and Nash if we would keep it to constructive critism and would suggest points for improvements. That way, it would really help and this thread would not run the risk of becomming too personnal. As for myself, I have absolutely no talent for graphic design so I really don't know how any of these covers could be improved.

Second: From experience, I know that you cannot please everyone and that when you consult too many persons, as in this forum, you usually end up more confuse than in the beginning. I would pick the brains of less than 10 persons that I trust and I would work with this.

Third: Whatever the cover, I already bought my copy as I am looking forward the content, not the cover. I suspect that many magicians are like me since we have the strange habit of buying stappled sheet of paper without any illustration for a hefty price (better known as lecture notes).

Richard Tremblay

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 28th, 2005, 8:51 am

Book design is totally different than magazine design. On reflection, all the submissions look more like magazine cover ideas.

Books, which are meant to last longer, are more conservative in their covers (Dust jackets can be more aggressively designed--as they are more "selling" oriented).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2005, 10:40 am

I'm wondering if those actually are considered covers rather than submitted covers.
Steve V

Max Rodriguez

Postby Max Rodriguez » June 29th, 2005, 6:32 am

I think nash should be on the cover shuffling cards maybe like agreen back round then a some lines to show its like a table top then Nash doing a tabled riffle shuffle or a 2nd.That will soew of his neat ring and braclet.

Michel Huot

Postby Michel Huot » June 29th, 2005, 11:06 am

Here we go, we are all becoming experts in marketing so let me join in...

I see a black book with gold on top sayin simply: NASH

and near the bottom, still in gold I see (in a on line drawing) a still hand with ring and pack of cards

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2005, 12:05 pm

At one time during my career as a bookseller I was addressing a dinner meeting of the Southern California Publishers. I opened my remarks with the words.

"Fire your art director!"

That got there attention. Whereupon I proceeded to educate them to the fact that the cover (and dust jacet) belongs to me, the bookseller. Its sole purpose is to help me, the bookseller, sell that book. Great consideration must be given to the spine as the book will probably be displayed spine out on a shelf of other books. For a book to be displayed face out or "flatted" it has to promise rather substantial sales as it is using up a lot of turf, real estate, space.

Of course, in this day of sales on the internet, what do I know? I am an anachronism.

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » June 29th, 2005, 12:29 pm

It's a good point about the title 'Nash Reloaded' referencing the Matrix movie.

Might I suggest that it be renamed to prevent this becoming a potential issue ? Perhaps something like "Nash: Revolutions", "Nash Strikes Back" or "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Nash" might be more appropriate...

Jamie.

Postby Guest » June 29th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Michel and I both go with black book, gold print...int'l rules apply so that is what it shall be!
Steve V

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2005, 9:38 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry about some of the dissapointment in the cover designs. these were designede simply as a mock up to get the general idea out. I have a top end graphic artist reworking the final cover with everyones suggestions put in. I greatly appreciate the input. if there are anymore suggestions, please feel free to let me know.
Thanks
Mike :)

Return to “General”