Bobby Sandler

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brad Jeffers

Bobby Sandler

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 2nd, 2023, 4:37 pm

I feel that most magicians have at some point in their life tried their hand at juggling.
I guarantee you will enjoy this ...

Bobby Sandler on Flip Wilson 1973

and this ...

Bobby Sandler interview 2021

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Bobby Sandler

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 3rd, 2023, 2:23 pm

That was fun, thanks. I have little doubt that I saw this when it aired because I always watched the Flip Wilson show.
I can do the first part ... you know, sort of.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 3rd, 2023, 2:49 pm

A lot of great lessons in that presentations. Not the least of which is the importance and power of communicating the difficulty/importance of what you are doing. Then there is the power of simplicity. He got more mileage and happier people with three than many others could ever hope to get with far more difficult displays. Also - note how he takes his time. He doesn’t rush. He lets the repetition build. Not unlike some of the strategies used in Family Guy. And he’s not afraid of silence. He waits and makes the audience wait.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 4th, 2023, 9:18 am

Very entertaining. It adds a whole new dimension when a juggler actually has "patter" to go with the artful demonstration of skill and dexterity. I had not seen any juggler do that before. It adds a whole new dimension, especially when the patter is clever and funny. I also likes the way he breaks character and connects with the audience by revealing a human and vulnerable side; his use of self-deprecating humor plays well. His timing and ability to create dramatic tension also lend greatly to his performance. I would think magicians can learn a lot about presentation by observing his act.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » February 4th, 2023, 10:27 am

Patter while juggling is not new. Here was my favourite old timer doing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwOp4QzkwE

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 5th, 2023, 5:50 am

I remember him. I was twelve or fifteen, in the sixteens

C'était le bon temps !

As Lavoisier said:

"Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout se transforme"

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » February 5th, 2023, 2:13 pm

As Brad stated I suspect that practically every magician at some stage in his life has tried juggling. I am no exception and ended up just as bad as nearly everyone else. Alas my juggling career came to an end many decades ago when I used to practice in the middle of the night and of course the balls kept dropping on the floor waking up the landlady on the floor beneath. One day she said to me, "Mr Lewis, what is it you are doing in the middle of the night which makes so much noise?" I told her I was juggling. She responded, "Well, I hope you improve!" I gave it up after that................

However I did get some benefit from it several decades later. A number of years ago some TV commercial company advertised that they wanted some magicians for a commercial. Nearly every magician in Toronto showed up including me. They asked me "Can you juggle?" I replied "Very badly". On hearing this they got all excited saying, "Excellent! We are looking for a bad juggler!--Show us how bad you are!" I did and they said "You're hired!" I felt all the wasted practice of my youth was worth it in the end!

Return to “General”