Dani DaOrtiz

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 17th, 2022, 12:28 pm

They may have come up on stage and joined other magicians at the table, but from what I remember they were always very reserved (specially Teller, ha ha ha). But I've never seen them gush and swoon over any other magician like they did over Dani. He repeatedly fooled the pants off them. So did Kostyra Kimlet with his Triumph, but that only seemed to anger and frustrate them (specially Penn). I'm speculating, but it's probably because they just didn't like him the way they obviously do Danny. Although Kimlet fooled them badly too, there was something smug and challenging about him that I think put them off. Dani has a challenging style too, but it's greatly mitigated by his playfulness and zaniness. He personifies the old expression, "crazy like a fox." Well, at least Dani need not worry about having his tricks exposed, since no one's gonna figure them out, including the serial mass exposers themselves.

Maigret
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder, Dani DaOrtiz, Lennard Green, Ben Earl and Aronson

Postby Maigret » November 17th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Dani explained already everything in his former products that he sold. But indeed, it is impossible to imitate him (at his level).

Just fresh from the Facebook page from Dani:
Hello friends!
A few days ago, Joshua and Andi (Vanishing inc) offered me an interesting work: Describing the Fool Us video, gutting it while watching it from a technical and psychological aspect, listing the techniques, the concepts, as well as everything that happened during the presentation.
Yesterday I finally finished that work that will come to light from the Vanishing Inc. website.
When I start with the video, I saw that no more than 5 seconds elapsed without something notable happening, with which, after recording, I can confirm that the work will finally last more than 3 hours.
I hope you like the result.
Dani DaOrtiz

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » November 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

They may have come up on stage and joined other magicians at the table, but from what I remember they were always very reserved (specially Teller, ha ha ha). But I've never seen them gush and swoon over any other magician like they did over Dani.

Again i have to highlight that this is just plain wrong, there are plenty of contestants they fawn over, get excited about, gush over, are incredibly animated for; they give a very measured response and level of interaction and surprise based entirely on the performer in front of them.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 17th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Maybe they know them personally outside of the show hence the gushing. Not that I have a cynical nature of course. In any event gushing from magicians don't count anyway.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 17th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Tom Moore wrote:
They may have come up on stage and joined other magicians at the table, but from what I remember they were always very reserved (specially Teller, ha ha ha). But I've never seen them gush and swoon over any other magician like they did over Dani.

Again i have to highlight that this is just plain wrong, there are plenty of contestants they fawn over, get excited about, gush over, are incredibly animated for; they give a very measured response and level of interaction and surprise based entirely on the performer in front of them.

To take some poetic license with the words of the great Bard:

"There is nothing either right or wrong, but thinking makes it so."

Maigret
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder, Dani DaOrtiz, Lennard Green, Ben Earl and Aronson

Postby Maigret » November 17th, 2022, 4:54 pm

99.98% of the knowledgeable and well-informed magicians admire and recognize Dani's unique craftsmanship.
They know that he, together with the predecessors of the Spanish School, has profoundly changed the world of close-up magic and taken it to a higher level than ever before.
The two magicians who have left a lasting mark on the close-up world over the last few decades are Dani DaOrtiz and Lennart Green.

Statistically you will inevitably always have 00.02% who have a different opinion.
Respect these people's opinions, but give them the value (and especially the credibility) that their percentage represents.

((I'm not a brother, cousin or other relative of Dani. I'm not even Spaniard )

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 17th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Maigret wrote:Statistically you will inevitably always have 00.02% who have a different opinion.
Respect these people's opinions, but give them the value (and especially the credibility) that their percentage represents.

Yes, but you must also realise that 99% of magicians have no idea what they are talking about!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 17th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Maigret wrote:99.98% of the knowledgeable and well-informed magicians admire and recognize Dani's unique craftsmanship.
They know that he, together with the predecessors of the Spanish School, has profoundly changed the world of close-up magic and taken it to a higher level than ever before.
The two magicians who have left a lasting mark on the close-up world over the last few decades are Dani DaOrtiz and Lennart Green.

Statistically you will inevitably always have 00.02% who have a different opinion.

((I'm not a brother, cousin or other relative of Dani. I'm not even Spaniard )

I'm not trying to knock Dani, or anyone else. But I'm interested in knowing where you are getting your statistics from, and the documentation for them?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » November 18th, 2022, 4:46 am

76.8% of all statistics are made up.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 18th, 2022, 5:46 am

It is just a conversational expression.
It is a way of speaking when expressing an opinion based on personal experiences, specially in casual conversations like this one.

"99% of the people say..."
Translations:
"Most of the people I've heard about say..."
"I reckon, according to what I've experienced, most of the people think that..."

You can say as well "98'7% of the people..."
just to be funny.

I don't think Maigret, neither no one here means nothing but show one's personal opinion based on one's personal experience, instead of making up things.

Many expresions in Forums are figurative and metaphorical.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 18th, 2022, 1:50 pm

Tarotist wrote:I read somewhere that Graham Jolley had a bad experience on the show. I have no idea what it was. Something about being misled in some way. Not that I am one to gossip of course............

Interesting. And thanks for writing Graham. For reasons best known to my mind-of-their-own digits, I managed to type Graeme. Hey ho

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 19th, 2022, 4:40 am

Leo, Graham did fool P&T when part of the prize was you would be flown to Las Vegas to take part in their stage show for one performance. Later, when Graham was told by the producers that taking part in the show meant, (in Graham's words) "When Penn and Teller finish their show they will tell the audience there is another act that the audience can stay to watch if they like." Graham declined to go and recommended another magician who, "Could do with the publicity."

Genii readers will undoubtedly enjoy Graham's interview with Richard Young:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48oB4XGegU

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 19th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Paco Nagata wrote:It is just a conversational expression.
It is a way of speaking when expressing an opinion based on personal experiences, specially in casual conversations like this one.

"99% of the people say..."
Translations:
"Most of the people I've heard about say..."
"I reckon, according to what I've experienced, most of the people think that..."

You can say as well "98'7% of the people..."
just to be funny.

I don't think Maigret, neither no one here means nothing but show one's personal opinion based on one's personal experience, instead of making up things.

Many expresions in Forums are figurative and metaphorical.

I certainly see the point that Paco is making here. I guess I misinterpreted Maigret's post by taking it too literally. Just for the record, though, I have never criticized Danny or his magic. I have criticized other magicians in the past and always felt bad about it, because in my heart, I don't feel that it's right to put down another magician's magic. Constructive criticism meant to help someone improve is another thing. I welcome that myself, because I don't want to let my ego get in the way of improving. It was only when I saw comments like he is our finest living card magician and similar comments, that I stepped in to express my own personal opinion that I thought Bill Malone deserves that accolade. Others may disagree, but as my beloved dad (bless his soul) used to say, "That's what makes horse racing."

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 19th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Alfred, I love your criticism about everything in magic (and no magic). I think your criticism are intelligent, constructive and very positive :-)

I wish I had more free time to enjoy so many good points and advises about magic in this Forum from so many wise magicians.

I love Bill Malone; his style seems similar to my idol Tamariz: silly :-) frenetic :-)) talkative :-))) funny! God bless Youtube to be able to watch him!! ;-)
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 19th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Paco Nagata wrote:Alfred, I love your criticism about everything in magic (and no magic). I think your criticism are intelligent, constructive and very positive :-)

I wish I had more free time to enjoy so many good points and advises about magic in this Forum from so many wise magicians.

I love Bill Malone; his style seems similar to my idol Tamariz: silly :-) frenetic :-)) talkative :-))) funny! God bless Youtube to be able to watch him!! ;-)

Muchísimas Gracias, Paco! I am humbled because it is I who has learned valuable things (both theoretical and practical) from Paco's labor of love, The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician, which he has graciously and generously offered to the Fraternity (/Sorority).

Yes, I agree, there are striking similarities between Juan and Bill. They are both original and totally unique characters. They are both supremely skilled, experienced, and knowledgable magicians. They are both very animated and comedic in style (although their individual styles and personas are quite different), and they are both masters of entertaining people. Never a dull moment with either of them.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 19th, 2022, 3:44 pm

I have to admit I winced at the comment "finest living card magician" but I had to accept it since everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I was aghast when Penn went even further than that saying the greatest card magician who EVER lived! He compounded that by saying "even better than Tamariz". I think he probably is better than Tamariz since he doesn't yell and scream so much but then I consider them both to be "quite good to some degree" rather that the more hyperbolic descriptions. However, for Penn to say the best one who EVER lived was too much for me since there is no way to measure it. None of us have ever seen Hofzinser in action. How about Leipzig? Or Malini? Or God knows how many others in centuries past? There really is no way to be sure.

I actually had some publicity promotional pieces when I was much younger. Even I didn't have the nerve to state that I was the greatest that EVER lived. In a prime example of my supremely modest nature I merely stated "Greatest LIVING Card Magician". Alas those were in days gone by. Now I have to be merely satisfied with the latest comment on one of my videos "The best 7:11 on YouTube!"

AJM

Postby AJM » November 19th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Get yourself on Fool Us, Mark, and make Penn eat his words.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 19th, 2022, 4:32 pm

I wouldn't know how to fool him. I am not that kind of magician. I can get laymen dancing up and down with great delight whereas all I get from magicians are blank stares. I have noticed one significant thing though. On most videos of eminent magicians 90% of the positive comments underneath consist of remarks from other magicians whereas 90% of the positive comments underneath my videos are all from laymen.

Mind you, I have been approached to appear on another TV show of equal eminence. We will see how that works out. When I was younger I would hustle for shows. Now, I haven't the energy. I have to be approached or invited as befits my great eminence in these matters.

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » November 20th, 2022, 1:09 pm

I noticed Sr. DaOrtiz has now also an app for Android as well IPhone. Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-P610 met Tapatalk

Dani DaOrtiz
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz, Lennart Green,Hofzinser

Postby Dani DaOrtiz » November 26th, 2022, 6:01 pm

Thanks everybody for all comments. I appreciate it!
Dani

AJM

Postby AJM » November 28th, 2022, 6:19 am

Dani - hola, como estas?

Anyway, Mark, you were saying?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 28th, 2022, 7:47 am

Dani - I have emailed your site a few times but have not received any response. Several months ago I purchased the deluxe edition of your Freedom of Expression book. I have never received it. I know you had issues with the production. Did the deluxes ever get printed and shipped? Sorry to ask that here, but I’ve had no luck getting a response through the site

Thanks.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 28th, 2022, 9:11 am

AJM wrote:Dani - hola, como estas?

Anyway, Mark, you were saying?

No. YOU are saying! And cuanto menos digas, mejor

AJM

Postby AJM » November 28th, 2022, 9:47 am

I suspect you’re regretting not taking your own advice!

:lol:

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 28th, 2022, 1:19 pm

AJM wrote:I suspect you’re regretting not taking your own advice!

:lol:

You can suspect what you bloody well like! I am never afraid to say in public what I say in private.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Dani - I have emailed your site a few times but have not received any response. Several months ago I purchased the deluxe edition of your Freedom of Expression book. I have never received it. I know you had issues with the production. Did the deluxes ever get printed and shipped? Sorry to ask that here, but I’ve had no luck getting a response through the site

Thanks.

A better idea than putting a public note here, which won't solve your problem, is to send him a message via Facebook (where he is very active).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 28th, 2022, 1:33 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:Dani - I have emailed your site a few times but have not received any response. Several months ago I purchased the deluxe edition of your Freedom of Expression book. I have never received it. I know you had issues with the production. Did the deluxes ever get printed and shipped? Sorry to ask that here, but I’ve had no luck getting a response through the site

Thanks.

A better idea than putting a public note here, which won't solve your problem, is to send him a message via Facebook (where he is very active).

With the caveat, that not all people desire (or should be forced) into FB membership strictly to receive customer support.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 28th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Oh, Brad doesn't have to be forced into Facebook membership! I see him there all the time arguing with someone or other!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 28th, 2022, 1:49 pm

Richard: As I don’t use Facebook messenger I can only access messages when on my laptop computer, which is almost never. Plus, I had no idea he even had a Facebook account.

Of course, The best solution would be to email the site directly. Which I have done. Several times.

I also asked about it directly at FISM but he was with others and seemed distracted, so I didn’t try to push the matter. He did say he had lots of problems with getting the book printed. I didn’t know if that meant to deluxes were still in process or if he was just sharing information. Seeing him enjoy his accolades was more important to me than trying to get a resolution then. I told him I would email.

I’m hoping that by posting here, he or someone he knows, may see it and I will get the book - to which I am looking forward to reading.

Maybe you can help make that happen for me, Richard?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 28th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Maybe you could send him a private message on here?

Dani DaOrtiz
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz, Lennart Green,Hofzinser

Postby Dani DaOrtiz » November 28th, 2022, 4:20 pm

No problem friend! Any way for me is ok. Now I contacted with Brad Henderson in his email and I am waiting his answer. This book was shipping directly from printer and was out of my hand in that moment, but now all is ok! ;)

Brad Henderson you will have you book in your Hands in few days ;)

About the topic of this post... again, thanks everybody for the support in Fool Us!

D

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 28th, 2022, 6:41 pm

Thank you, Dani.

I’m glad we finally connected! I look forward to your book.

Maigret

Postby Maigret » November 29th, 2022, 3:37 am

Maigret

Postby Maigret » December 6th, 2022, 9:54 pm

This video shows the reaction of someone familiar with magic so you can see how someone in this field feels about the performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQj3gUvvHHY

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » December 7th, 2022, 7:21 am

We have certainly established the reaction of someone who is familiar with magic. It would now be wonderful if we could get the reaction of someone who is NOT familiar with magic! I am sure it will be positive but THAT is the real test! The opinion of other magicians is of no importance whatsoever.

Maigret

Postby Maigret » December 7th, 2022, 10:13 am

Tarotist wrote:We have certainly established the reaction of someone who is familiar with magic. It would now be wonderful if we could get the reaction of someone who is NOT familiar with magic! I am sure it will be positive but THAT is the real test! The opinion of other magicians is of no importance whatsoever.

That's very easy. Read everyone's reactions under Chris Ramsay's video. But oh well, nevermind.

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » December 7th, 2022, 12:28 pm

My son is still talking about that performance. He thinks DaOrtiz is the best magician.
We have tickets to see Asi Wind this month...

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » December 7th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Maigret wrote:
Tarotist wrote:We have certainly established the reaction of someone who is familiar with magic. It would now be wonderful if we could get the reaction of someone who is NOT familiar with magic! I am sure it will be positive but THAT is the real test! The opinion of other magicians is of no importance whatsoever.

That's very easy. Read everyone's reactions under Chris Ramsay's video. But oh well, nevermind.

I did read them. They seem to be mostly from magicians. Or perhaps even all from magicians. I am not saying Dani is bad and in fact I will give him seven out of ten. However, I am also a magician and my opinion doesn't count either.

Maigret

Postby Maigret » January 14th, 2023, 3:09 am

An interesting analysis of this performance on Penn & Teller by Javier Benitez and Dani himself.
Javier Benitez is a very good Spanish magician whom we (together with the other judges) gave a 3rd prize at the 2018 FISM world championships in Busan (South Korea).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SYRWA1wlNg

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » November 10th, 2023, 3:06 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Dani - I have emailed your site a few times but have not received any response. Several months ago I purchased the deluxe edition of your Freedom of Expression book. I have never received it. I know you had issues with the production.

Alas, I'm currently having the same issue. Product ordered 17 September, email sent out 21 October, and no response. I also tried the GrupoKaps Facebook page, same result.

Is there any other way to contact Mr. DaOrtiz?
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Return to “General”