ERDNASE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Re: ERDNASE

Postby katterfelt0 » May 10th, 2022, 3:29 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:
Or a Brazilian telling someone from Portugal they're speaking Portuguese Portuguese?

Look up "Portuguese Portuguese" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. It doesn't exist. Yet "British English" does. Again, language is not a strictly consistent system of logical imposed rules.

Yessir. As mentioned previously in this thread, language is communication, and there are times when differentiating a speaker's country is useful. My computer often asks me which version of English I wish to use. :)

And in a nominal attempt to stay on topic; I carry my pocket-sized version of Erdnase nearly everywhere.

Richard Hatch

Re: ERDNASE

Postby Richard Hatch » May 10th, 2022, 4:02 pm

magicfish wrote:I guess if I go to Spain I'll hear people speaking Spanish Spanish

It depends on where you go in Spain. The most widely spoken language is Castilian (castellano) which could be considered “Spanish Spanish” but there are also the distinct languages (not dialects) Basque and Catalan, and probably others I am not aware of, along with regional dialects. If L’Homme Masque wrote Erdnase, he likely spoke one or more of those, though I believe his performances were in French.

Return to “General”