ERDNASE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
JHostler

Re: ERDNASE

Postby JHostler » September 26th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:... I wondered why he would have had the book printed in Chicago, when he could have done it in house.

I assume for the same reason he used a pseudonym. Upstanding member of the community etc. etc. The nine-year age difference doesn't bother me so much; a man in good health at 49 could pass for 40. The deal-breaker for me (after floundering for a few hours) was a lack of apparent connection to either magic or gambling. Argh!
"Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 28th, 2020, 11:50 pm

Four new editions (to me) of Erdnase in the last week. L to R: Czech, Spanish, German, and Trustman graphic novel.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » September 29th, 2020, 2:29 am

It must be interesting flipping through a familiar text in a foreign language. It's like watching a foreign film without the subtitles. The brain reverts back to a childlike state of wonder.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 30th, 2020, 10:46 am

As I earlier noted here:

Bill Mullins wrote:I just tried to go to MAM's single-page Erdnase thread, and it was gone. I hope this is a temporary glitch -- it was awfully convenient to have it formatted that way.

Good news -- it is available at another location.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » September 30th, 2020, 11:26 am

I'm thinking about buying the graphic novel version because I like graphic novels almost as much as I like magic. Is it worth the money, Bill? At my age I should be downsizing my magic library instead of adding to it, but I'm tempted on this one.

Jason England

Postby Jason England » September 30th, 2020, 3:06 pm

The Spanish graphic novel "The Last Gambler" was also printed in Dutch (I believe). I know this because the Dutch version showed up at my house the other day completely out of the blue. I don't think I ordered it, so it must be a very nice gift from someone involved in its production.

Thank you, whomever you are!

Jason

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 30th, 2020, 10:18 pm

chetday wrote:I'm thinking about buying the graphic novel version because I like graphic novels almost as much as I like magic. Is it worth the money, Bill? At my age I should be downsizing my magic library instead of adding to it, but I'm tempted on this one.

I don't think I can answer that, for a lot of reasons -- the big one being that I don't know how much you like $25 vs how much you like graphic novels, especially considering that Expert is not a book that lends itself to the graphic novel format. I can tell you that I'm pleased to have mine (but I am not normal -- I already have 35 or so different variants, and I just bought 3 more different editions that I can't even read [and 35 is bush league compared to Jason and a couple of other folks]). I will note that I am sure that the artist got quite tired of drawing Erdnase's face and hands -- the art is somewhat repetitive in that respect. The book is large. I would have preferred smaller pages and more of them. The cover stock tends to curl. OTOH, $25 isn't too much for this sort of thing. The next one I'm looking at getting is this, another quasi-facsimile that I just noticed, and it is $50. And having just got the 3 foreign editions pictured, I'm pricing some of the other foreign editions that have been available -- but unfortunately, several of them seem to have gone out of print. I'm also intrigued by these:

Jason England

Postby Jason England » October 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

Bill,

I may have missed this, but where are those hardbacks of various colors shown in the picture from?

Jason

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » October 1st, 2020, 7:32 pm

Jason, those are journals from MagicEncarta.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 1st, 2020, 8:07 pm

What John said.

link

And John -- I have your book packaged up and should be taking it to the post office tomorrow.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Is your first edition copy of Expert toxic?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 17th, 2020, 1:23 pm

I've agreed to give a 50 minute talk entitled "Chasing Erdnase" as part of the upcoming United Magicians for the World event in a few weeks. This will be followed by a discussion. My talk will be in English at 8 p.m. Italian time on Sunday, October 25th. I believe that will be 3 p.m. EST (because they go on their version of daylight savings time that weekend). The entire 100 hour event looks really good and a donation of any size gets you access. Here's a link, which will be updated as more details are added:
http://www.unitedmagiciansfortheworld.com/

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 25th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Mr. Hatch presented a fascinating PowerPoint synopsis on Erdnase that in short was like the entire Erdnase thread condensed into a one hour discussion. Anyone dropping in to hear this scholar would have been rewarded with an up to date summary on just about all things Erdnase. I don't agree with him on the supposed differing writing styles of Sanders and Erdnase. One need not look further than Bob Coyne's PDF on Sanders for the compelling comparisons. I also don't believe Gallaway's writing style even remotely resembles Erdnase. It's totally stilted with none of the Erdnase sly humor.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » October 26th, 2020, 10:33 am

Richard Hatch wrote:I've agreed to give a 50 minute talk entitled "Chasing Erdnase" as part of the upcoming United Magicians for the World event in a few weeks. This will be followed by a discussion. My talk will be in English at 8 p.m. Italian time on Sunday, October 25th. I believe that will be 3 p.m. EST (because they go on their version of daylight savings time that weekend). The entire 100 hour event looks really good and a donation of any size gets you access. Here's a link, which will be updated as more details are added:
http://www.unitedmagiciansfortheworld.com/

Any chances the lecture could be available in the future?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 26th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Carlo, my understanding is that the presentations (including mine) were only available to live stream during the 100 hours. I believe they were being recorded, however, so perhaps they will be made available at some point. I have been approached about giving a similar presentation to other groups as a result of this, so that might happen.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » October 29th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Just ran across this video, posted recently on this topic. I thought it was pretty good, aside from a few minor errors, on the MFA theory. Looking forward to the forthcoming video that presents an opposing point of view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9c7B2lo9U

Return to “General”