Search found 4849 matches

by Bill Mullins
April 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

The trade customs were indeed intended to be copied . . Document this, please. Both you and Chris keep saying this, without evidence. I've seen the trade customs that Gallaway copied from the Handbook in print in several locations; none of them give any encouragement to freely reproduce them. I hav...
by Bill Mullins
April 28th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

I would point out that most of the places in which you find these trade customs, they are in fact attributed to the various trade organizations that standardized them. So your statement "meant to be copied without attribution " is wrong. But again, as I've said before, and as you continual...
by Bill Mullins
April 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

. . . except on p 91, the first two paragraphs of which are copied from p. 311 of Handbook of quality-standard papers , without attribution or quotation marks. Other sentences from this page in Estimating are also copied from the same source. For example, the last paragraph of Estimating , p. 91 is...
by Bill Mullins
April 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

I see. If they were the same, do you have any thoughts as to a volume which had been submitted for copyright on Jan 4 1923 was resubmitted for copyright on Jan 8 1924? I am assuming the change in title from Printing Estimating to Printing Practice made them resubmit it. Doesn't seem likely, since t...
by Bill Mullins
April 28th, 2018, 12:33 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

I see. If they were the same, do you have any thoughts as to a volume which had been submitted for copyright on Jan 4 1923 was resubmitted for copyright on Jan 8 1924? How do you rule out the possibility of other authors on the volumes which first appeared in 1924 and later? Are any of them internal...
by Bill Mullins
April 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

It says, " A Course in Printing Estimating by Edward Gallaway of the Estimating Department furnishes the basis for adult training in the general subject of printing methods." And it includes a photograph of one volume, Part II: Composition (which does name Gallaway as the author). But you...
by Bill Mullins
April 27th, 2018, 10:44 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

You assert that the Donnelley course is by Gallaway, but the only evidence you've given for that is that passages in it are also in Estimating for Printers (do you have other evidence -- is Gallaway named as the author of the entirety of the Donnelley course?). Yes. In the book "The Training D...
by Bill Mullins
April 27th, 2018, 1:51 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

The "Printing Trade Customs" were meant for copying without attribution: Every printer should at once reprint his proposal or estimate blanks, and use these two pages for copy. They explicitly said 'use for copy'. It can't get any clearer. That is why they are called 'customs'. These rule...
by Bill Mullins
April 26th, 2018, 6:59 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

What I meant with my statement was obviously taking text/paragraphs of prose from other authors. Which is exactly what he did -- he copied text/paragraphs from the Handbook . I only quoted a little, but that whole section of Estimating is ripped from the Handbook . Yes, he may have changed a few el...
by Bill Mullins
April 26th, 2018, 4:26 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Chris -- your ebook says (and this is a direct quote from p. 94, of a copy I downloaded today): "Studying Gallaway’s books we see that he acknowledges when he uses material that he did not write himself."
This is obviously not true, as the examples above show.
by Bill Mullins
April 26th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

[Gallaway] does quote and attribute when he borrows from others. . . . except on p 91, the first two paragraphs of which are copied from p. 311 of Handbook of quality-standard papers , without attribution or quotation marks. Other sentences from this page in Estimating are also copied from the same...
by Bill Mullins
April 25th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

I am judging your argument in terms of likelihood when it comes to speculation. The likelihood is that whoever Erdnase was, no one on this forum has ever mentioned his name. In other words, it is probable that Erdnase was not E. S. Andrews or Edwin S. Andrews, or Benedict, or Gallaway, or Sanders, ...
by Bill Mullins
April 25th, 2018, 10:52 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Wouldn't you agree that the timing is a bit off? . . . Knowing a year or more ahead of time that you go bankrupt is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (1926) " "How did you go bankrupt?" Bill asked. "Two ways," Mike said. "Gradually ...
by Bill Mullins
April 25th, 2018, 2:25 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Harry Anderson
Replies: 21
Views: 3497

Re: Harry Anderson

Anderson died from a stroke.
by Bill Mullins
April 24th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

jkeyes1000 wrote: I am simply saying that it stands to reason, that Sanders was wealthier, and therefore less in need of money than Galloway.

There is no way of knowing if Sanders was wealthier at the time in question, ca. 1900-1901. (or at any other time, for that matter.)
by Bill Mullins
April 24th, 2018, 3:42 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

I was aware of your "hard up" argument for Sanders, Bob. But more often than not, Sanders advocates tend to suggest that he was only joking about needing the money. And besides--his "need" was likely to be less severe than someone of a lower class. The quote you offer even says ...
by Bill Mullins
April 23rd, 2018, 10:44 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

jkeyes1000 -- my comments on logic were meant as follows. Logic is the taking of factual statements and drawing inferences from them, supported by reasoning, induction and deduction. Where Chris falls down is the beginning. He takes statements that are not fact-based, but are suppositions, and draws...
by Bill Mullins
April 23rd, 2018, 11:18 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Gallaway's bio is inconsistent and incomplete in several ways. . . . or his bio is not entirely correct or complete.. So, like Smith's account to Gardner, it is an account from which you can pick the parts that you like, and say they are accurate, and the parts you don't like, you can say they are ...
by Bill Mullins
April 23rd, 2018, 8:24 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Brad Henderson wrote:his entire ‘argument’ is built on ‘well, it could have happened.’

The "Judy Tenuta" approach.
by Bill Mullins
April 23rd, 2018, 1:48 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

In any case, Gallaway left the circus in 1894, that was a year before Houdini even joined the Welsh Brothers! As for working that fair in 1896, there is no evidence of Houdini having worked in any fairs in 1896. Leonard knows nothing! First of all, Gallaway's circus time, 1891-1894, is an estimate....
by Bill Mullins
April 21st, 2018, 11:31 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

( From the passport application: Any false or misleading statement with respect to this application and any supporting document, ... may result in the refusal to issue a passport, ... and may be grounds for criminal prosecution.) Sanders' passport application is posted online at Ancestry.com. The s...
by Bill Mullins
April 21st, 2018, 2:34 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:If Brad calls me a dick, I'll call him a potty mouth. I am fair.
I never called you a dick, but if you felt being addressed then that is entirely your problem.


No, you never did. But Brad called you one, thus the parallel construction. Read for comprehension, Chris.
by Bill Mullins
April 20th, 2018, 2:49 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

For example, he says " The man who was Erdnase by Martin Gardner", and later refers to it as "Gardner's book". Gardner was one of three co-authors, and anyone who has actually read it would realize that the vast majority of the writing is by Busby and Whaley. How exactly does th...
by Bill Mullins
April 19th, 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

... it's very clear that I was not taking today's norms and experiences, I was taking norms and experiences contemporary (1906) to Erdnase. You have no idea about the norms and experiences around Erdnase's time. There were half a million people of German descent in Chicago. It was the largest ethni...
by Bill Mullins
April 19th, 2018, 2:23 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

We just learned that grooms didn't wear any wedding bands back then. If this were true, we wouldn't see hundreds and hundreds of examples of the phrases "his wedding ring" and "double ring ceremony" and "ring for the groom" before 1910 in the Chronicling America databa...
by Bill Mullins
April 19th, 2018, 1:11 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

You reject the input from domain experts in areas you know little about, Which expert are you speaking of here? Olsson has said that the samples from Gallaway are written more like Expert that the samples from Wilson, Roterberg, and Hilliar, and the very poorly selected samples from Sanders. I, for...
by Bill Mullins
April 18th, 2018, 2:10 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

What it reveals to me is that the DIL may not have known what she was talking about. One the one hand, we have a second-hand account of her opinion that a man she was associated with for a short time near the end of his life decades before was a spendthrift; on the other hand, we have documented fa...
by Bill Mullins
April 18th, 2018, 1:56 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

So you agree that you have no example of an author who wrote a really good first book without any prior writing experience. J K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Bret Easton Ellis, Less than Zero Nicholson Baker, The Mezzanine Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl S E Hinton, The Outsid...
by Bill Mullins
April 17th, 2018, 2:49 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

The concept that Erdnase had to have written books before EATCT is (IMO) flawed, Likewise the concept that someone with knowledge of self-publishing is more likely to have been Erdnase. Is it not obvious that anyone who had a manuscript who walked into McKinney's shop had all the knowledge necessar...
by Bill Mullins
April 17th, 2018, 2:44 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

You seem to have no ability to deal with ambiguous facts and fuzzy information. I don't? I'm not the one who always, invariably, and without fail resolves any ambiguity with respect to facts surrounding Gallaway by saying they point in the direction of him being Erdnase, and I'm not the one who alw...
by Bill Mullins
April 17th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

...But we aren't relying on Smith for "intimate knowledge"; we are relying on him to report what he saw and heard. His account is first-hand... Not sure what you mean by first-hand. Smith's attributed comments are as reported by Gardner. The Gardner-Smith Correspondence reproduces letters...
by Bill Mullins
April 17th, 2018, 2:08 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

People don't change their character that much over time. So when you write of "one other event in Gallaway’s life which may suggest a change of heart, away from cheating people, to a path of doing good and helping others," we should not believe you? And we should ignore the example of Erd...
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

You seem to be making the case as follows: 1. in 1957, Gallaway's DIL says "[EG] made a lot of money but it just slipped thru his fingers". 2. Erdnase said he "needed the money". 3. Gallaway must have been Erdnase! I don't buy this chain of reasoning because: 1. Evidence in the e...
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 1:52 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Gallaway’s daughter-in-law commented: He made a lot of money but it just slipped through his fingers ... he couldn't hang on to it. This not being able to hang on to the money he made could very well be due to gambling at Faro. So how did he get together the cash to afford a vacation home? One with...
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 1:04 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

jkeyes1000 wrote: Kreskin--a man of few . . . words.

That's not the Kreskin I'm familiar with.
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 1:01 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote: That Gardner Smith Correspondence has become a kind of Keyser Soze: Talked about--but never seen. I'm on the lookout for a copy.


At this late date, the easiest way to get a copy is to buy the Houdini Magic "Expert at the Card Table" DVD set, which includes a legal PDF of the book.
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 12:49 am
Forum: Magic History and Anecdotes
Topic: This Day in Magic History
Replies: 8
Views: 1960

Re: This Day in Magic History

Brad Jeffers wrote:Let's see if we can find one thing for each day.

April 15, 1934
Benjamin Ruker aka Black Herman dies of a heart attack after collapsing on stage during a performance in Louisville KY.

As did Tommy Cooper, in 1984, live on TV, also on Apr 15.
by Bill Mullins
April 16th, 2018, 12:17 am
Forum: Magic History and Anecdotes
Topic: This Day in Magic History
Replies: 8
Views: 1960

Re: This Day in Magic History

I corrected that post for you. Thanks! Why have we not seen more of these kinds of things from you (not the error, the cool "Day in Magic History" posts)? For the same reason I never finished the Kid Canfield article I promised Richard -- fundamentally, I'm a lazy slug. That post came abo...
by Bill Mullins
April 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm
Forum: Magic History and Anecdotes
Topic: This Day in Magic History
Replies: 8
Views: 1960

Re: This Day in Magic History

A full year later, I realized a typo above. That should be Charles Carter, not Howard Carter.
by Bill Mullins
April 14th, 2018, 11:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6966
Views: 2036159

Re: ERDNASE

Gallaway did use snippets of classic literature in his writing. In 1906 he wrote a petition to establish lending libraries at two facilities of the Odd Fellows which starts: WHEREAS, "In sickness, in sorrow, in the most doleful days of dejection, or in the most gloomy seasons of the calendar, ...

Go to advanced search