Search found 1171 matches

by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

In the August 2011 Erdnase issue of Magicol , there is a photo of Smith on the far left standing next to Paul Rosini and Martin Gardner. Smith is slightly taller than both of the other two gentlemen. Does anyone know how tall Martin Gardner or Rosini were? Even if Smith was 5'10" or 5'11"...
by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 12:19 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Anyway, including the line width doesn't get anyone from 10% to 2%. You seem to be a bit math challenged. Your own numbers 1.4 and 1.3 is a 7.7% difference not 10%. Line thickness and variation in tracing can easily introduce 2-3%. Add to this another 2% from non-planarity. 1% from a slight bend. Y...
by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 11:54 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

You say the card could be bent or tilted. As I originally said, it looks to be presented straight on, and it doesn't look bent (no visible curvature on the edges). If you measure precisely you will see that the top of the card is slightly closer to the camera than the bottom. Measuring from the ver...
by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 11:41 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

I measured it and get a length-to-width ratio that's 1.3 vs the 1.4 it should be. So, that's much more than 2%. If it was 2% it wouldn't be noticeable, and it's very noticeable. So I think there's something amiss with your measurements. What you are not taking into account is line width. For exampl...
by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 11:32 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Though I would not call myself an artist, I have studied to be one--and I have years of experience in distinguishing one artist from another in order to identify them. And much of my work is related to cartoonists and comic book artists, which Smith might technically be considered. I think the &quo...
by lybrary
April 8th, 2018, 9:10 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

To actually perform the same analysis you describe shouldn't you use drawing of Mr. Ben's hand? Ideally it would be traced from a photo. Tracing can introduce small variations but those would be in the ~1% range for length ratios of the size and magnitude we are talking about. It wouldn't turn a ha...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 9:31 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

For example, take a look at figure 77. The card is presented straight on (i.e. no appreciable tilting or skew). However, it's clearly too wide (relative to it height). If Smith's illustrations were accurate, that would be impossible. How do you explain that? You do not know if the card isn't bent s...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Nobody can tell me by looking at these two photographs of David Ben's hands how tall he is. I rode in an elevator with him and know how tall he is. Anyone unfamiliar with him cannot tell me his height from these two photographs. This is just more bunk from Chris. If you have a photo of his outstret...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 6:29 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

We know the length of the playing card, and from that you extrapolated "facts." You're guessing on the anatomical accuracy of Smith's illustrations. Nobody can tell a man's height from those drawings. These were traced from photos and thus they are very accurate. I am sure you will now as...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote:You can't be sure Erdnase wasn't 5'8 to 5'9 based on Smith's illustrations. That's your best guess. Nothing more.
Yes we can be sure, because it matches what Smith said, not taller than 5'6". Two independent facts that lead to the same conclusion. That is solid evidence.
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 5:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

The hands depicted in Expert are not those of a 5'8"-5'9" man. They are those of a ~5'4" which independently corroborates Smith's statement of no more than 5'6". Sanders is too tall to be Erdnase. Sanders was a rower, an athlete, not a 'very small man of slight build'. How can y...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

130 pounds for a man that was 5' 8 means he was fairly skinny. "Slight build" would be a fair assessment of Sanders' physique. You can clearly see in that 1890 photo he was not a big guy. That was his weight in 1882, just after entering school. He gives his weight in 1911 as 160lb, closer...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

The hands depicted in Expert are not those of a 5'8"-5'9" man. They are those of a ~5'4" which independently corroborates Smith's statement of no more than 5'6". Sanders is too tall to be Erdnase. Sanders was a rower, an athlete, not a 'very small man of slight build'.
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 1:28 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Bob Coyne wrote:And the Card Tricks patter, as you have pointed out is also very well crafted, while being written in a more performative oratorical style.
Well put. Gallaway was literally an orator.
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 12:17 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote:Which now begs the question--how tall was Marshall Smith?
If you apply a bit of logic and combine Smith's statements that he was certain he was looking down on him, and that Erdnase was no taller than 5'6", that would make Smith probably 5'7" or very close to that.
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 11:42 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

FWIW, Gallaway's 1918 Passport application says his height was 5' 8-1/2". This is a typo. It should read "Sanders' 1918 Passport application says his height was 5' 8-1/2"." Which independently corroborates his own bio with 5'9" and firmly establishes that Sanders was too ta...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 12:33 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

There's no way Smith could be accurate to the inch, especially after 40+ years. What were the error bars on Smith's recollection? Smith could give an accurate upper bound because he was sure that he was looking down to Erdnase not up. That means his own height, which he knew, provided the exact mea...
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 12:18 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote:Then that would disqualify Gallaway since his 1918 passport application listed his height as 5' 8 and a half.
Gallaway is not 5'8 1/2". We have photos of him which allow a fairly good estimate which turns out to be somewhere around 5'3".
by lybrary
April 7th, 2018, 12:15 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

For your theory to make sense, though, Smith heard Gallaway introduce himself as "Gallaway", heard Gallaway mention the artist named "Gallaway", then forgot the writer Gallaway's name altogether, forgot the artist Gallaway's name, but then misremembered it as Dalrymple. Not like...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 11:54 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Smith's recollections are obviously pretty vague on this, and Wilbur matches what he first said. He then revised his account after Gardner led him there. I see no reason to give that more credence than his original statement. In fact, I think it's likely to be less reliable. You can choose to belie...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 11:41 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

It is impossible to change one's apparent height by much. A man can increase his apparent height by perhaps an inch or so using shoes with higher heels. But it is practically impossible to reduce it. It is what it is. Oh really? Bill is the king in taking a statement to its ridiculous extreme. No c...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 11:08 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

If Smith recalled a man that was about 5'6, he was basically saying "of average height". If he told Gardner (or whoever) that the man was approximately 5'9, he meant that the author of EATCT was taller than most, which would have been quite memorable, and therefore should be considered a ...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 8:02 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

I will let somebody else explain it to you. I sincerely hope you have somebody who takes care of you.
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

I know what year that bio was published. I'm also aware that developing physically into an adult takes 2 to 5 years. Most boys will stop growing taller by age 16 and will usually have developed fully by 18. The average height of a 14 year old male is 5 feet 4 and a half inches. Sanders was already ...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 7:09 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

I don't believe Bob was blatantly lying. Sanders was 40 years old and possibly short. We know he was only 5 feet tall at the age of 14. A nine inch growth spurt by the age of 18 is a bit of a stretch. You might want to check when that bio was published. The title 25th Anniversary should give you a ...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 6:22 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Chris -- you've made a huge issue of the fact that ebooks are wonderful because you can update them when new information comes along. You've updated the book at least 3 times since this discussion, and the point involved is a pretty big one, and extraordinarily relevant. It's one of the few FACTS a...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 5:49 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Blatant lies that you are trying to promulgate, Bob. Here's a blatant lie, from Chris's ebook: "The formula is simple. Find an Andrews, preferably an E.S. Andrews, who is related to Louis Dalrymple, and who meets the basic age and gender requirements of Erdnase. Nobody has been found to this d...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

You completely distort my view of Smith's recollections. I have merely mentioned that the bit with the W fits Gallaway, but it does not factor into my case for Gallaway. What I think about Smith is clearly stated in my ebook. Very briefly, I only believe Smith when we either have independent confirm...
by lybrary
April 6th, 2018, 2:18 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

7) Matches physical stature and age reported by Marshall Smith 8) Smith said he remembered his name had a W. (Wilbur has a W) Unless I am reading a completely different Gardner-Smith correspondence than you, these two are obvious mismatches with what Smith said. Here are the quotes from Gardner's n...
by lybrary
April 4th, 2018, 10:14 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote:Superiority is a continuing subtext in Chris' posts:
It isn't hard to be superior to somebody like you who states that there is no difference between authoring and publishing.
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

And neither Sanders nor Gallaway was German or Austrian, so this doesn't really bear on the discussion. Many Germans and Austrians emigrated to the US before, during and after Erdnase's time. So I think it is relevant, because they brought their profession and education with them. Isn't it more the...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Are we sure that the copyright ownership was transferred to Drake, or merely the right to reprint the book? We are not sure in the sense that we do not have a document that proofs such transfer has happened. But since Drake is the one who reprints and advertises this book as the only publisher we h...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 3:52 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Gallaway's books show he did a couple of very specialized things: 1. Optimized the layout of small rectangles on large rectangles, to minimize wast. 2. Counted up the various subprocesses that made up a print job, and multiplied those times their respective unit cost to add up to a total. No doubt,...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 3:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

If he had copyrighted it, he surely would have given the name and address of someone he could rely on. That is a good point. The relationship between Erdnase and McKinney was more than simply 'here print this book for me'. And here is another interesting question: As McKinney did go bankrupt severa...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 2:44 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

2. Generically, an "engineer" is someone who has earned a four-year degree from an accredited Engineering college or university. In Austria and Germany there a millions of engineers, who are legally entitled to carry the title 'Ing.' for Ingenieur (meaning engineer) who did not go to coll...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 1:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Where is the proof that Erdnase was such a licensed engineer or graduated from a four year college? Gallaway considered himself an engineer. R.R. Donnelley, one of the largest printing companies in the US at that time, if not the largest, referred to students who went through their apprentice progra...
by lybrary
April 3rd, 2018, 11:39 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

3. No evidence of uncommon Erdnasian words such as longitudinal and invariably in any of Gallaway's writings. Those uncommon words are in the The Expert and also in Sanders' short Mine Timbering essay. Here you go, since you like these words so much: Gallaway: A certain amount of paper is invariabl...
by lybrary
April 2nd, 2018, 11:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Unless you can provide evidence that Galloway graduated college with an engineering degree, I will adhere to that. You really know nothing. Are you still in middle-school? Engineers don't need to go to college, particularly 140 years ago. For example, I received an engineering degree from a technic...
by lybrary
April 2nd, 2018, 10:29 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

An employee of McKinney fits wonderfully as an Erdnase? Don't be a moron. You should know that the material in The Expert reflects a far more sophisticated thinker, perhaps that of an engineer than a mere employee of a printing company. You are an ignorant fool. Gallaway was an engineer. Also print...
by lybrary
April 2nd, 2018, 9:30 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7175
Views: 2200341

Re: ERDNASE

Leonard Hevia wrote:You don't know much about the publishing business do you?
You are really cute. I am a publisher now for two decades, both with my own company as well as employed by the largest academic publisher.

Go to advanced search