Search found 370 matches

by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 11:14 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 6028

Re: Eye contact

The year of the Ox (or Buffalo) in Chinese Astrology. Yep. I was doing magic before you were born. And I was working professionally when you were 6 years old. And performing on national television when you were 8 years old. I am quite ancient you know. Beware. It will happen to you one day. :) Poin...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 6028

Re: Eye contact

performer wrote:


OK. When were you born? (I am trying to emulate Alfred by asking nosey questions)



1961
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 6028

Re: Eye contact

I am sorry Carlo. I thought you were referring to the stage when you were talking about blackboards and such. And when I mean the "stage" I was referring to standing before an audience of any kind such as a classroom etc; I really do believe that for a magician performing in front of a se...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:37 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 6028

Re: Eye contact

Carlo, old chap. If you read my post carefully you will see that I stated plainly that the stage has different rules. Here it is a good thing to look them in the eye. If you wish to tell stories then look them in the eye. I am talking about close up magic only. I have done many lectures and many st...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:04 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 6028

Re: Eye contact

I have been out all evening working doing close up magic in the street (not busking I might add) and have missed any amusement that has been going on. I do get a psychic vibe that there may have been some. When working I was thinking about this eye contact nonsense and was observing myself all even...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 7:52 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 39517

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

I disagree. A few seconds after the performance... Teller collects a bunch of the cards and watch what he does with the cards at his seat. To me that looks like what one might do if one suspected a stripped deck. Please... that was in fact even the biggest evidence that Teller was NOT fooled....how...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 39517

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

...I doubt that P&T were fooled by the method. ... I disagree. A few seconds after the performance... Teller collects a bunch of the cards and watch what he does with the cards at his seat. To me that looks like what one might do if one suspected a stripped deck. Please... that was in fact even...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 39517

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

Watch Penn's reaction when Kostya says that he isn't going to touch the deck as he places it on the table just after that something seemed to take place. What do you make of that? Indeed...look what happend at 4:06/4:07. From that angle I find it hard to believe that Penn (or Teller) did not see th...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

I mentioned earlier one cannot compare a signature with regular handwriting, because a signature is more like a drawing rather than regular handwriting. But since Bill Mullins made a comment that he thinks there is no way that Gallaway could have filled out the copyright form of EATCT, based on a c...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 7:09 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Also, isn't the reversal of "EC Andrews" pronounced the more or less in the same way as "SW Erdnase"? I have been pointing that out for well over a month now, Carlo. But those who wish not to see it will continue to turn a blind eye. Peter Zenner Sorry....I missed it... I have b...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 6:49 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Here is the signature of E. C. Andrews. hmmm that C in his signature looks more like an S to me. Wow...I agree....is this the first instance of a signature that really does read like the reverse of SW Erdnase? Also, isn't the reversal of "EC Andrews" pronounced the more or less in the sam...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 18th, 2015, 12:36 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

People are not wrong to count some of Smith's recollections and discount others. But how do you decide which is which? Keep the ones that help and discount the ones that hurt? You decide, Bill. Everyone decides, and they all decide in different ways. My point is that it is not valid to criticize so...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 16th, 2015, 10:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

But as far as Smith's recollections: - Gallaway has a "W" in it. Smith said the writer's name had a "W". You give Smith's memory credit for this and mark it as a plus for Gallaway. - Gallaway was 33. Smith said the writer was 40. You say Smith's memory was faulty, and thus this ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 15th, 2015, 11:55 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, how many of these books use the word 'subterfuge'? none of the 13 books I used (cut down to 25K words) have that word in it. Art of Magic has it 10 times. EATCT has it 3 times (in the text). Carlo, thanks. That magic books use it is not that unusual, except EATCT had it in its title. But tha...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 15th, 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

lybrary wrote:Carlo, how many of these books use the word 'subterfuge'?


none of the 13 books I used (cut down to 25K words) have that word in it. Art of Magic has it 10 times. EATCT has it 3 times (in the text).
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 15th, 2015, 5:56 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Allright. I finally have a foolproof routine that matches common sequences of words between two files. I wrote it in Mathematica version 10.2. The sequences are given in decreasing order of length (down to length 4), and alphabetically within the length group, with no duplicates, and where each sequ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 15th, 2015, 7:29 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, this is not designed to answer the questions you posed in your most recent post. ... --Tom Sawyer ... Regarding the "unanswerable questions I posed" I have no clue about what you mean. I'm guessing your post which inquired: "If Hilliard was just influenced, why not mention and...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 15th, 2015, 6:57 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, this is not designed to answer the questions you posed in your most recent post. However, first, thanks for posting those various phrase-lists. Second, some people may not realize that The Art of Magic was one of the first magic books to make reference to The Expert at the Card Table . It do...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 14th, 2015, 7:27 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

The Art of Magic was written entirely by John Northern Hilliard, not T. Nelson Downs. Since Hilliard was a newspaper man, Bill should be able to unearth ample samples of his writing to be compared with that of Erdnase. However, The Art of Magic was published in 1909, seven years after the Expert at...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 14th, 2015, 11:23 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Here is a more sophisticated list of matches between AOM and EATCT. This list starts from the logest matches and it goes down to 4-word matches, consecutively removing words from previously found comon sequences. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WpudLJbwL-eEJfLUZZb2xHbW8 PS: My brother wrote a sm...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 13th, 2015, 8:05 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, your text selection depends on what you want to achieve. If your goal is to establish a comparison between the 4-word matches I posted, you would have to use a book somewhat comparable to Estimating for Printers. If however your goal is simply to compare other books then of course you can co...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 13th, 2015, 7:44 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, a couple of suggestions: 1) "The Art of Magic" has roughly 120,000 words. That is about 5x more than "Estimating for Printers." Perhaps take only the first 25000 words or so. Sure I thought about this and initially that is exactly what I was going to do. But I then though...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 12th, 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

and here are the 2030 4-word sequences in common:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Wpu ... VlPS25BTDA
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 12th, 2015, 9:04 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

I ran the code that identifies common 4,5,6...n-word sequences between two text files. I used Erdnase's book against The Art of Magic. Not surprisingly there are many many 4-word sequences in common, but also many 5,6...-word sequences, and even entire paragraphs...maybe this was already a known fac...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 12th, 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

I also wrote a simple code using Mathematica in order to find the common 4-word sequences. I have the .txt version of EATCT, I just need any other book to compare it to. Honestly, it does not need to be by Sanders...Any technical book from that period could work just fine, in fact how about a magic ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 1st, 2015, 7:20 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Very creative.....The possibilities are endless! :D
by Carlo Morpurgo
November 11th, 2014, 8:35 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Assumptions: 1) SW Erdnase is a name derived by spelling the real name backwards. 2) Expanding 1) to a complex anagram. 3) Assuming that the author also hid his name in the front matter somehow 4) Finding that name by a particular rule of how lines of text can be moved around. Really?! And that is ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
November 11th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

There's absolutely nothing wrong in making assumptions when solving a case, and see where those assumptions lead - in fact I think it's a very effective procedure. If you only make a move after you see a hard piece of evidence you may be immobile forever. Especially in a case like this one, where h...
by Carlo Morpurgo
November 11th, 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

Out of curiosity, would you still claim no evidence if WESANDERS were spelled using the first letters of each line? It would certainly be a lot stronger. However, the real problem starts much earlier. What evidence is there that the name is an anagram or a simple backwards spelling? The only eviden...
by Carlo Morpurgo
November 11th, 2014, 10:23 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

I was never a big supporter myself of the pyramid thing, as a mean of proving Erdnase's identity. It was a curiosity for me. However, I recall that the idea was to slide the lines so that they remain within the text frame. It's a lot harder to come up with stuff with that restriction. And why that ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
November 11th, 2014, 7:37 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 7615
Views: 2333205

Re: ERDNASE

I was never a big supporter myself of the pyramid thing, as a mean of proving Erdnase's identity. It was a curiosity for me. However, I recall that the idea was to slide the lines so that they remain within the text frame. It's a lot harder to come up with stuff with that restriction.
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 24th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: hank lee out of jail
Replies: 78
Views: 22772

Re: hank lee out of jail

For how long was Hank Lee doing business in selling magic?
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 23rd, 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: hank lee out of jail
Replies: 78
Views: 22772

Re: hank lee out of jail

"Insert snarky remark about living such a saintly life etc." Not a saintly life, but I've never stolen anything from anyone or ripped anyone off. I have actually witnessed a number of predators who take advantage of a closed community for years because the community always says, give the ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 23rd, 2014, 9:22 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: hank lee out of jail
Replies: 78
Views: 22772

Re: hank lee out of jail

I understand it was a very bad crime, but given his profile (other than that crime) and given that he's paid the price for his crime, shouldn't he be given a second chance?
I guess maybe I don't know the guy well enough other than what I've read here and there....
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 22nd, 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: hank lee out of jail
Replies: 78
Views: 22772

Re: hank lee out of jail

Richard Kaufman wrote:Actually it doesn't matter what the job is, if it entails handling people's credit cards in any way.

Seriously, is there anyone who would give Hank Lee a credit card number?


I would. (well maybe not... ;) )
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 8th, 2014, 10:48 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Houdini Bio-Pic Reviews Start Rolling In
Replies: 42
Views: 12840

Re: Houdini Bio-Pic Reviews Start Rolling In

I watched only the first part for now, and I found it quite entertaining. My kids loved it. I liked the "exposure" parts, and seeing mechanical gears and all that, I think it was well done, forget Tony Curtis. Good advertising for magic. So what if it's not 100% (or even 60%) accurate? It'...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 21st, 2014, 12:10 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today
Replies: 12
Views: 1721

Re: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today

Hola is a vpn, just a particularly friendly to use one. Well, I meant that it is not the traditional way of creating a VPN, i.e. by physically connecting to a server located in the one country, and acquiring a new IP address, from that country. Typically the speed of the connection is greatly reduc...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 20th, 2014, 5:27 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today
Replies: 12
Views: 1721

Re: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today

FYI for anyone who tries to watch it: you will need to install a VPN on your computer to circumvent the stupid region blocking. This is a good (free) option https://hola.org/ It's a browser extension, so better than the whole VPN business. Carlo I just checked itv, and it works like a charm with ho...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today
Replies: 12
Views: 1721

Re: New Houdini Documentary Broadcast Today

Richard Kaufman wrote:FYI for anyone who tries to watch it: you will need to install a VPN on your computer to circumvent the stupid region blocking.


This is a good (free) option https://hola.org/ It's a browser extension, so better than the whole VPN business.

Carlo
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 8th, 2014, 5:18 am
Forum: General
Topic: How many ways can you arrange a deck of cards?
Replies: 43
Views: 13409

Re: How many ways can you arrange a deck of cards?

Denis Behr wrote:(Here's an old script of mine doing the calculation for a given number of cards (and an overview table for up to 1024 cards): http://www.denisbehr.de/faro/ )


Nice...do you actually run the shuffles until you get it right?

Go to advanced search