Search found 362 matches

by Carlo Morpurgo
October 1st, 2018, 8:14 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Very good comment! That is a valid criticism. Thank you! The way I rationalized it was that the dashes are the sides of the card, which are connected at the bottom. The next card, the fifth card, starts with a dot but it is below the vertical side line of the card. I followed the code from left to ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 30th, 2018, 6:37 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Reading the Morse Code in the Smith Cartoon Starting from the left hand: Each set of Dots and Dashes run from left to right within the card. The First Four Cards says ERDNASE Card 1 = Dot = E Card 2 = Dot Dash Dot = R Card 3 = Dash Dot Dot = D Card 4 = Dash Dot, Dot Dash, Dot Dot Dot, Dot = NASE (F...
by Carlo Morpurgo
May 3rd, 2018, 9:01 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

I recommend browsing the first several (even just 5) pages of this thread, from way back (2003). I just did, and it's pretty amazing how different things were back then. Stimulating, fun, civilized. I do not find this stimulating at all, maybe because the tone of the discussion is just plain annoyin...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 23rd, 2018, 8:23 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

All practitioners of logic will admit that they can be wrong. I have seen Chris concede this many times. I must have missed something.... can you point out a few examples? Regarding logic, with enough time at hand, and with enough skills in rhetoric, arguing, debating, etc., I claim that you can al...
by Carlo Morpurgo
April 13th, 2018, 6:08 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

This is indeed looking like two/three lawyers arguing about the fine details of a crime scene....I guess it's kind of inevitable.....better this than nothing at all, in my opinion...
by Carlo Morpurgo
March 23rd, 2018, 5:09 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Bob Coyne wrote:
Carlo, Thanks for posting this again and updating with mine timbering. Interesting raw data!

btw, do you include all of Mine Timbering or just the Sanders part when generating the sequences?


Just the Sanders part.....
by Carlo Morpurgo
March 23rd, 2018, 10:02 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

A while back I wrote a program that would extract common sequences of words from two text files. I compared eatct with several books of the time period. I am not sure why I had not posted the comparison with Sanders' book back then, but I have done it now (see eatct-mine.txt). https://drive.google.c...
by Carlo Morpurgo
January 31st, 2018, 7:29 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

I'm sorry, but if you are going to present someone as a candidate to have been S.W. Erdnase, then you're going to have to CONVINCE a lot of people. That's part of the deal. Well yes, ultimately that is the goal, ultimately. But one thing is to present convincing evidence another is to present a con...
by Carlo Morpurgo
January 26th, 2018, 7:38 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo, there's a lot of ground between a 1) video, 2) convincing circumstantial and physical evidence and 3) an intriguing hypothesis. No one expects #1, and it's certainly fun to have #3; but I think most on this board are hoping at least #2 with regard to identifying Erdnase. It's still not clear...
by Carlo Morpurgo
January 23rd, 2018, 9:03 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

I'm lost. Map, please? Still have many questions about evidence vs. conjecture. We've seen lots of trees, time for the forest? If you have seen the trees, then you have the evidence. Some people can see the forest, or at least A forest, reading in between the lines, that is what makes them special....
by Carlo Morpurgo
March 7th, 2016, 11:22 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Spain's Got Ripoffs... :(
Replies: 5
Views: 2888

Re: Spain's Got Ripoffs... :(

I dislike this routine (original or not) very much. I personally do not consider this magic, at all.
by Carlo Morpurgo
October 27th, 2015, 2:51 pm
Forum: Link Watch
Topic: Cantu in Laurel & Hardy short
Replies: 10
Views: 4203

Re: Cantu in Laurel & Hardy short

Nice....this must be the only Laurel and Hardy movie I have not seen before. Thanks for posting!
What version of the Torn&Restored newspaper is he performing?
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 17th, 2015, 7:04 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

To move the James Andrews case foreword we need to look at M. D. Smith’s testimony and start to look at the mystery/anomalies concerning the illustrations in the EATCT. I know the M. D. Smith information has been presented before, but I would like to recap: The book was illustrated by M. D. Smith. ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 11th, 2015, 6:48 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Carlo wrote: “However, from the document I pointed out it appears that the French Lick Springs hotel was also a casino only after Taggart took over (hence after Andrews) It would be nice for you to provide additional information regarding Andrews' activities as a casino operator.” Please follow the...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 6:21 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Carlos wrote: In this document you will find better info regarding the ownership of the Hotel... Thank you so much for finding this document! I am completely overjoyed! Do you think there is another document for the West Baden Springs Hotel? The story will really start coming together if you look a...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

In this document you will find better info regarding the ownership of the Hotel...see pages 57-58 regarding Andrews (with the final "s") http://focus.nps.gov/nrhp/AssetDetail?assetID=176d363b-aead-4067-a9e3-229786f9b87c (download left asset) Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting anyone.....
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 3:15 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

I would take on any lead that has a ***ES*ANDREWS operating a casino in the midwest around 1900...... I'm not sure one could ever find the logic in a casino owner ever sitting down and writing a book like EATCT, a book detailing (in the most advanced form to date) how to cheat at cards such that th...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Acute observation Mr. Observer ;) .... I had already explained what I meant by "reversing" and Tom has already answered. It's certainly not the first time that this kind of reversal has been pointed out for a "James Andrews" potentially connected to SW Erdnase Ah - so as long as...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 1:24 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

James M Andrews The name in reverse gives SW Erdnase, No it doesn't. Acute observation Mr. Observer ;) .... I had already explained what I meant by "reversing" and Tom has already answered. It's certainly not the first time that this kind of reversal has been pointed out for a "James...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 8:31 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Tom Sawyer wrote:Personally, I missed any reference to owning a place in Chicago. Wikipedia shows the French Lick location to be in southern Indiana.


--Tom Sawyer


I agree, I incorrectly wrote Chicago. It's not really a relevant detail, however.
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 8:22 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Personally, I missed any reference to owning a place in Chicago. Wikipedia shows the French Lick location to be in southern Indiana. I don't think the "expert card dealer" idea has been demonstrated convincingly. I don't think the name has been shown to be James M. Andrews. I get the vibe...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 10th, 2015, 7:05 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Just curious, Roger, what would be your ideal "connection to Erdnase", I mean a connection that would satisfy you.... Carlo, something beyond saying that because a candidate lived in the United States, played cards, and was 28 (or whatever similar age) years old in 1902 - he becomes a can...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 9th, 2015, 5:26 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Is there additional information you've yet to provide that links your candidate to EATCT Scott? French Lick, like Hot Springs and Galveston were certainly ripe with gamblers and hustlers, as "wide open" cities across the country were back in the day. I like the French Lick connection for ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 7th, 2015, 10:01 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Scott, I'm having a very hard time making anything out of the materials on your website. It's an enormous collection of notes of mostly people that seem to have no connection to the Erdnase case. Frederick J. Drake and a couple of others are mentioned, but most of it is about their various ancestor...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 7th, 2015, 8:16 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

1. Is there any utility to the inquiry into the S.W. Erdnase identity question? 1. David Alexander answered the first question in his Erdnase article: The question naturally arises, "Why should we care who Erdnase was?" This was answered by Ross MacDonald's hard-boiled but occasionally se...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 4th, 2015, 5:20 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

There were other (even more important) books on advantage play and cheating that were also published prior to EATCT. Erdnase penned original material, which doesn't in any way conflict with books being written before EATCT on advantage play and cheating at cards. I have a first edition of Sharps an...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 3rd, 2015, 8:06 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Conjuring Arts has also had the McKinney Bankruptcy papers for some time and have decided to release them to all, free of charge. The files are now available to search and view via Ask Alexander to all account holders (even at the free level) and are in the S. W. Erdnase directory located here: Erd...
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 3rd, 2015, 8:16 am
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Tom Sawyer wrote:3. Regarding Smith, yes "his face lighted up,”

--Tom Sawyer


Was the Smith-Gardner conversation via Skype? ;)
by Carlo Morpurgo
September 2nd, 2015, 8:17 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Well, it's equally a mystery as to how quickly folks are willing to dismiss Smith's recollections, especially if dismissing those recollections involves trying to hype a candidate whose name isn't "Andrews" (or Sanders for that matter). I guess that makes it a wash both ways. Please show ...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Forum: General
Topic: ERDNASE
Replies: 6974
Views: 2036643

Re: ERDNASE

Allright. I finally have a foolproof routine that matches common sequences of words between two files.... You fill find all the results here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WpudLJbwL-flJveGZRYVNfeWhQQ0dLZVVqbm04MlkyS3NFRzNabTNCLTNrRDZ4UGswZjQ ..... The summary is as follows 1. Bookbinding I: 1...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 26th, 2015, 9:53 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Any questions?
Replies: 14
Views: 4294

Re: Any questions?

Carlos. I am merely trying to entertain you. You are supposed to be an entertainer. Don't you appreciate entertainment? And it isn't the start that matters. It is the journey itself. Now is there anything you want to know? After all, it is my job as a psychic reverend and holy man of the cloth to k...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 26th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Any questions?
Replies: 14
Views: 4294

Re: Any questions?

I couldn't figure out where to make this post but the beginners section seems to be the most appropriate, from looking at the depth of knowledge on this site. It is perfectly obvious to me that I know more about magic than anyone else and this being the case I feel that I should show great generosi...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 11:14 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 5223

Re: Eye contact

The year of the Ox (or Buffalo) in Chinese Astrology. Yep. I was doing magic before you were born. And I was working professionally when you were 6 years old. And performing on national television when you were 8 years old. I am quite ancient you know. Beware. It will happen to you one day. :) Poin...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 5223

Re: Eye contact

performer wrote:


OK. When were you born? (I am trying to emulate Alfred by asking nosey questions)



1961
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 5223

Re: Eye contact

I am sorry Carlo. I thought you were referring to the stage when you were talking about blackboards and such. And when I mean the "stage" I was referring to standing before an audience of any kind such as a classroom etc; I really do believe that for a magician performing in front of a se...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:37 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 5223

Re: Eye contact

Carlo, old chap. If you read my post carefully you will see that I stated plainly that the stage has different rules. Here it is a good thing to look them in the eye. If you wish to tell stories then look them in the eye. I am talking about close up magic only. I have done many lectures and many st...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 9:04 pm
Forum: Close-Up Magic
Topic: Eye contact
Replies: 31
Views: 5223

Re: Eye contact

I have been out all evening working doing close up magic in the street (not busking I might add) and have missed any amusement that has been going on. I do get a psychic vibe that there may have been some. When working I was thinking about this eye contact nonsense and was observing myself all even...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 23rd, 2015, 7:52 am
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 36654

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

I disagree. A few seconds after the performance... Teller collects a bunch of the cards and watch what he does with the cards at his seat. To me that looks like what one might do if one suspected a stripped deck. Please... that was in fact even the biggest evidence that Teller was NOT fooled....how...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 36654

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

...I doubt that P&T were fooled by the method. ... I disagree. A few seconds after the performance... Teller collects a bunch of the cards and watch what he does with the cards at his seat. To me that looks like what one might do if one suspected a stripped deck. Please... that was in fact even...
by Carlo Morpurgo
August 22nd, 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum: Buzz
Topic: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2
Replies: 145
Views: 36654

Re: Penn & Teller: Fool Us - Season 2

Watch Penn's reaction when Kostya says that he isn't going to touch the deck as he places it on the table just after that something seemed to take place. What do you make of that? Indeed...look what happend at 4:06/4:07. From that angle I find it hard to believe that Penn (or Teller) did not see th...

Go to advanced search