World's best ambitious card performer?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Philippe Noël » 04/01/04 12:39 PM

Who do you think it is and why?
Philippe Noël

Postby Q. Kumber » 04/03/04 07:02 AM

Without a shadow of a doubt, for me, the performer of the ambitious card that stands head and shoulders above everybody else is Dai Vernon. The structure of the routine is masterful. I only saw Vernon perform it once on a TV show. He was courteous, respectful and playful with the spectator and here's the part that shook me - Vernon was very funny. In the same way that Cardini was funny. Yet the humour never outshone the magic.

The only performer of the ambitious card that ranks up there with Vernon (in my opinion)is Tommy Wonder, whose routine incidentally, is based on Vernon's structure. Both these performers inherently understand that it is not about the ego of the performer but the experience they create for the audience.

I was so impressed with Vernon's performance that I immediately forgave him for foisting that dulllest of card tricks on the magical world... Twisting the Aces.
Q. Kumber

Postby Pepka » 04/03/04 07:34 PM

I agree with Quentin on his opinion of Tommy Wonder's routine. You can't forget about the man who took this routine, that virtually every close-up magician does, and made it into a FISM winning routine, Daryl. Also love a few moves invented by Lee Asher. Especially his Silver Surfer move. Very elegant and hard as hell.
Pepka
Pepka

Return to Buzz