NEW--MAGIC SHOW ON TELEVISION

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Larry Horayne » 11/03/02 09:54 AM

THE MAGIC PEARL'S

starring
Ed Alonzo
Johnny Thompson (The Great Tomsoni)
& introducing Zachary Macdonald
along with special magically ghostly co-star,
Mr. Carl Ballantine
THE MAGIC PEARL'S,
a new TV situation comedy about
a family of 3 generations of magicians.
( Well, actually 4, but who's counting ? )
So, sit back, relax
and let that magical little mouse scurry around our house a bit.
Who knows what might appear ... or disappear here at
TheMagicPearls.com
Larry Horayne

Postby Guest » 12/28/02 06:43 PM

Does anyone have any detailed info on this?? When will it start, which channel, run times, in the US or overseas, I would like to know as all anyone says about it is that it stars 4 magicians.

Anybody??

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 12/28/02 08:39 PM

This is probably "still in development." The concept is in place and perhaps some script outlines and the probable cast. However, I do not think a pilot has been shot or sold yet.

Rest assured someone will know details.
I like the concept, though.

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby John Pezzullo » 12/29/02 03:51 AM

Also keep an eye out for "Everybody Loves Marlo", a new sitcom about a wild and wacky bunch of Chicago cardicians.
John Pezzullo

Postby Bill Duncan » 12/29/02 03:25 PM

Other new shows on the drawing board:
I Dream Of Genii
A mild-mannered publishers life is disrupted by a magical young woman.

Dr. Phil
Phil Goldstein offers help to those with twisted aces.
Bill Duncan

Postby John Pezzullo » 12/30/02 05:37 PM

All joking aside, there's a British television series featuring magic that will commence screening in early January:

For further details: www.monkeymagic.tv
John Pezzullo

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/30/02 08:28 PM

There was an article about Monkey Magic in The Magic Circular a few months ago. I had dinner with two of the guys and producer Anthony Owen in London in December. It sounds like an odd idea: the five or six guys hang out and do magic mostly for each other (not for laymen!). It sounds so strange, however they have shot it and sold the series so it must be unusual.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby John Pezzullo » 01/07/03 03:04 AM

Here's one critic's view of the first episode of "Monkey Magic":

http://infoseek.yellowbrix.com/pages/in ... 675293&ID=

Sounds interesting.
John Pezzullo

Postby Ian Kendall » 01/07/03 03:23 AM

Hi all,

Monkey Magic was, um, I still haven't decided yet. I think one obstacle we have with TV shows is that we forget they are aimed at the layity and get miffed when there is little 'meaty magic' for us. For the layman it probably came across as a nice antidote to Blaine for the folk who like Jackass (as suggested in the review above).

One thing that jarred was the four have k3wl names (Colonel, Papa, Tufty and Monkey Boy) yet when they are being taped talking to one another they use their real names...I doubt that this is deliberate but it does lend an air of confusion.

For the record the effects I can remember:
Needle through Thumb
Mouse from mouth
Cut and restored (in the mouth) earthworm
Several things with a large bowl of maggots
(can we see a pattern here?)
Fickle Nickle while naked
Multiplying balls in a phone box
Hydrostatic glass

There were probably more but I've reused the tape to record Frasier. Sorry :)

Take care, Ian
Ian Kendall

Postby Guest » 01/07/03 05:24 AM

So that was Fickle Nickel, was it? A darned impressive-looking effect, naked or clothed.

Dave

Postby John McDonald » 01/07/03 09:47 AM

Enjoyed Monkey Magic.

The naked Nickel vanish / appearance is a killer!!
Great effect although I'd prefer Monkey boy to keep his clothes on in future!!!!!!!

I think though there are such great magicians that are class acts such as Michael Vincent (among others both in the US and Uk) that there is still a place on TV for real class acts.

Maybe Michael Vincent could follow in the line of
David Nixon and Paul Daniels and be the next face of magic for the TV in the UK.

Best wishes in magic

John :D
Best John
John McDonald

Postby Guest » 01/07/03 10:35 AM

Originally posted by John McDonald:
Enjoyed Monkey Magic.

The naked Nickel vanish / appearance is a killer!!
Great effect although I'd prefer Monkey boy to keep his clothes on in future!!!!!!!

I think though there are such great magicians that are class acts such as Michael Vincent (among others both in the US and Uk) that there is still a place on TV for real class acts.

Maybe Michael Vincent could follow in the line of
David Nixon and Paul Daniels and be the next face of magic for the TV in the UK.

Best wishes in magic

John :D
I hated Monkey Magic. Magic is an art, not a series of "schoolboy pranks" which this offering amounted to. Dressing "street" and jerky editing to emulate the Blaine/Chris Angel specials may have its audience but it left me cold.

When Paul Daniels' show was not re-commissioned it was a sad day for UK TV magic, and magic in general for that matter. His show really was excellent in showcasing international talent, as well as displaying his own considerable skills.

Sadly, due to the huge choice that terrestial/cable/satellite now provide the audience is spread thin, and producers are now very cautious about the investment/ratings ratio. Having said that, if dross like Monkey Magic can be aired, a well structured magic showcase should go a storm here as quality always sells.

Who will lead from the front and take up the gauntlet? We'll just have to see gentle reader.
:)

Postby John McDonald » 01/07/03 10:58 AM

Graham,

I agree Monkey magic is not the best way to present magic and generate a sense of wonder but seems to be following in the street magic vain and pandering to what people seem to want to see on TV. I think this type of magic is popular at the moment because it is quick. (Peoples attention span today seems to be about 30 seconds.)

I agree with you though and I think we might be selling people short and that there are better act out there. Correction "class" is out there as you know.

But you made me think.

I've often thought about the amount of choice there is on satellite TV yet sadly there are no satellite /cable channels dedicated to great magic?

A TV channel soley dedicated to the promotion of the classical greats of magic would be fantastic.

Paul Daniels series alone would take at least 6 months to run.

Maybe ... it could even be called Genii?

Or am I just dreaming

All the best.

John :)
Best John
John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » 01/07/03 11:13 AM

Sorry Sandy,

Just realised what your post was all about by going to the magicpearls.com web site.

The show looks great.

Hope it airs in the UK.

All the best John
Best John
John McDonald

Postby Guest » 01/07/03 11:50 AM

Originally posted by John McDonald:
Graham,

I agree Monkey magic is not the best way to present magic and generate a sense of wonder but seems to be following in the street magic vain and pandering to what people seem to want to see on TV. I think this type of magic is popular at the moment because it is quick. (Peoples attention span today seems to be about 30 seconds.)
But is it what people want to see, or is it just a case of producers trying to revive past glories (and not necessarily their own)? Given the chance to see the alternatives I feel that an audience will go for art over pranks every single time.

I often hear table-hoppers state that a short attention span dictates their presentation. To a degree that is true, as the food is the reason for the customers to be there. However, I feel that by presenting meaningful magic the artist can create the mood of wonder and enchantment and thereby dictate the pace. If it's absorbing and entertaining the audience will give the performer their due attention. But if the performer does not take the magic seriously, why should those viewing it?

A moveable satellite dish provides me, if I had the time, with more channels that I can count and covers the whole of europe. However, I have yet to witness any magic whatsover during my voyages through the digital wilderness. This I found very sad. Maybe those of you elsewhere fare better. I sincerely hope so.

best, Graham

Postby Ian Kendall » 01/07/03 03:02 PM

Hello,

Personally I was expecting more finger flinging when MB did the first pass of 3Fly in the opening credits. Following this with four minutes of a skewered thumb as the opening routine was a bit of a disappointment...

When I was in the restaurants my rationale for short and quick was that the food might arrive at any time and I would need to break off. Nothing to do with attention spans.

Maybe eighteen frame cuts are the future. I hope not, but what are we going to do about it? Let's all be proactive so that all magic TV station might be closer than you think.

Take care, Ian
Ian Kendall

Postby Pete Biro » 01/07/03 07:56 PM

The bloke called on to "rewrite" the scrips for the "Magic Pearls" told me "I haven't seen any money yet. No money, no script." :rolleyes: :eek: :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 01/07/03 08:33 PM

Ah, the "Fickle Nickle."

This caused a stir about 18 + years ago when John Cornelius marketed it and then Doug Henning did it on one of his television specials.

The idea, however, dates back much further...and I heard through the usual underground channels that the idea goes back to the great Finn Jon.

Well...
When I went to the IBM Convention in Quebec City (1992?), I ran in Pete Biro, who was sitting in a bar with Finn Jon. Later, I had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Finn.

One afternoon I asked him about the "naked" coin vanish. We were riding together on a long escalator at the time. Finn asked me if I had a small coin. I handed him an American quarter. Then, in full light while riding up an escalator in midday, Finn placed the quarter in his hand and made it completely, cleanly and utterly disappear, reappear, and then he handed it back to me with a grin.

It was beautiful. Real magic.

He told me he had been doing that for years.

I asked, "Is that yours?"

Finn said no. He had learned it years prior from one of his teachers, an old and clever man...

So, now you know The Rest of the Story...or at least part of it.
(Pete: Anything to add?)

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Guest » 01/08/03 01:45 AM

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:

He told me he had been doing that for years.
What, riding naked up escalators in Quebec City whilst asking passers-by for quarters? Mmm..... good for him. :D

Postby Pete Biro » 01/08/03 12:02 PM

Finn is ALWAYS READY. You should sit with him in a restaurant booth. He sets two or three threads and waits for the "moment."

You NEVER see anything.

He once did a talk show in Europe where the host had recently had Geller on.

Host asked Finn if he could bend spoons.

Finn said, (just as a fork stood on end and hopped across the table)... "Why should I bend a spoon when I can do this?"

I remember going into his hotel room at the WMS a few years back and he did the following.

He took a small ball out of his pocket and said, "Watch."

He threw the ball across the room and just before it reached the opposite wall it came back to him.

He had rigged an elastic invisible thread across the room... got the ball hooked up and the rest is history...

First time I saw ESOTERIC was Finn demming it for me at Ken Brooke's... I literally had my legs go limp and a fell over backwards. Luckily Ken's couch brome my fall.

Finn is a genius and a creator of REAL MAGIC.

Something else... at Raymond's Review Bar in London't Soho district, he would borrow someone's necktie and right up close to a killer dancing handkerchief type routine.

At the finish he took out a small pistol and "shot" the snake-like tie...

Dai Vernon's suggestion? :genii:

"You wouldn't pick up a snake, dead or alive, Finn, you should use a stick to pick it up."

So, Finn would use a wand, pick up the tie and return it to a baffled spectator. :eek:

He also did a similar routine with a length of toilet paper. I think Caveney also does this (I believe with Finn's OK)????? :confused:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/08/03 12:22 PM

I remember his appearance on Paul Daniels TV show,and watching so very carefully at the vanishing coin and also his handling of the vanishing silk.

Return to Buzz