Ring flight

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Guest » 06/22/02 07:05 PM

I'd like to buy a ring flight. Which one should I get? The polaris? I'm willing to pay alot as long as it's reliable
Matt

Postby Guest » 06/23/02 12:11 PM

"Ring Zing" has always provided me with reliable service and it does come with a warranty too.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.MINDGUY.com

Postby Guest » 06/23/02 12:15 PM

A little off topic...I have always thought that one of the best things about a ring flight is that is happens with a spectators ring. You can't ask for more spectator involvment than that, you can bet they are going to be watching closely, especially with the higher priced rings. Lately I have been considering a ring/string routine that utilizes a Chinese Coin, it contains some great moves and nice eye candy, but I feel that it might take some of the interest out of the routine. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks-

Postby Pete Biro » 06/23/02 10:40 PM

Regardless of which version of Ring Flight one gets, I would study Whit Haydn's routine that he published. It is the best.

Fred Kaps did NOT use a gimmicked ring flight. He had a key case sticking out of his back pocket and just loaded the ring onto the clip as he reached for and brough out the case.

Can't beat that.

Don Alan had the best idea on a clip. He cut off the tang and replaced it with a piece of springy steeel cut off a vanishing cane. It was super limp and you could get the ring on with little or no effort. (To me that is the hardest part of the trick).

Finn Jon had a great way. He had the clip hidden under a piece of flash paper. Seemed to wrap ring in paper, but tore thru it with the clip and away the ring went... then wad the paper up and burn it in a flash. :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » 06/23/02 10:43 PM

One night, doing ring flight on stage, the ring popped off the clip and flew into the audience and landed in the lap of a guy in the front row...

so...

I said, "The ring will vanish and reappear in an instant on the finger of that man..." as I pointed to the guy with the ring and gave him a wink.

Fooled the wee wee out of all the magician's in the room... heheheh...

Sometimes you get lucky... :rolleyes: :D :mad: :( :confused:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby George Olson » 06/24/02 07:14 AM

Iuse the Collectors Workshop Morelli (sp) Ring many times every night as a part of my ring and string routine. Can't beat it and instant reset!

George
George Olson

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » 06/24/02 08:43 AM

Michael Forbes of Los Angeles makes (or used to make) what has generally been described as the BEST ring flight in the business. It also was/is very expensive: about $300. See Danny Orleans' review from 2-3 years ago in Genii for details. It really is a superior product though -- which should be no surprise to anyone who has something that Mr. Forbes has made. He's a top professional magician and a gifted craftsman.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com
Jeffrey Cowan

Postby C. Hampton » 07/04/02 09:39 PM

I make them. Mine is not a very famous brand or anything like that and I've only built about 30 of them by hand.
Most of them went to Europe and they are giving great results over there, and I only have a few left that I am selling to friends.
My model uses a small reel in size but powerful, and its been tested to work between 150,000 to 200,000 times before going bad. They are reliable, made in beatiful black leather a priced very reasonably.

If anyone is interested, contact me.

Regards,

Carlos Hampton
carlos@damainquieta.com
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias
C. Hampton

Postby Guest » 07/05/02 06:06 AM

Pete Biro mentioned Fred Caps doing a ring flight by just attaching the ring to a clip, which is a better way to do Ring Flite. I think one of the best versions of this type effect is Steve Dusheck's Ringer. It uses a very ordinary looking retangular -shaped metal key fob, but is gimmicked. The ring is loaded on this fob, easily, and quickly, with no reel. A ring flite which uses a reel is, I think not a good idea because you can lose or damage a spectator's very expensive ring! Why take the chance? Steve's "Ringer" is an instant reset and amazing because the ring reappears on a metal fob! Perfect for walk around.

Postby Anthony Brahams » 07/06/02 04:00 PM

I use Eric Mason's Magnifique, many years ago a dealer item from Repro of London. Another presentation, IMHO not as good, is in Eric's book,Stuff.

A very strong effect, almost "Too perfect" and another possible drawback is that the climax is telegraphed as the Keycase has been handed out before the ring is borrowed, or vanished. If anyone is interested, I have a way round latter.

I think there's a French version, Gaeton Bloom? Proust? and I do not know if Eric Mason is credited.
Anthony
Anthony Brahams

Postby Guest » 07/06/02 04:21 PM

Gaetan Bloom has a very interesting method. (as far as I know, Stevens sells it in the US) No reel is used and the effect differs also from most versions. You begin by showing a single key in your key case. You borrow a ring from the spectator. He holds the key case in his hand for everyone to see. You put the ring in your hand and when you open your hand again, the ring has transformed in/changed places with the key. The ring is found in the - otherwise empty - key case, dangling on the little chain.

Postby Anthony Brahams » 07/07/02 03:06 AM

With the Eric Mason prop the keycase is handed out or left in view. Ring borrowed, vanished. Keycase opened and ring now hanging alongside keys.
Anthony
Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » 07/07/02 03:09 AM

Carl Andrews has an excellent presentation for the traditonal Ring Flite (I hate that spelling!) which is in his book I am producing for publication in the early autumn.
Anthony
Anthony Brahams

Postby Pete Biro » 07/08/02 10:49 PM

Ken Brooke marketed the NEMO Ring Trick, a reel in a case that "detaches" and leaves the ring on the clip, in the case, but the reel stays on your belt and you hand the case out to be opened by a spectator.

Not available any more (too bad) :eek:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Joe M. Turner » 07/09/02 10:14 AM

In the key/ring transposition presentation for Gaeton Bloom's method, I would only add that instead of displaying the key on the chain in the first place, it is effective to put a real key on the chain and use it to unlock your close-up case, a padlock, or something in a previous effect (a Lippincott box, for example). This doesn't telegraph the ending of the routine as much as taking out a keycase and simply showing the key for no apparent reason.

JMT
Joe M. Turner

Return to General