Derek Dingle Lecturing!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Guest » 02/12/03 06:13 PM

Attention all PA, NJ, NY, & OH magicians! Derek Dingle will be lecturing at Magic, Music & More on Friday Feb 21st. at 8pm.

It's a great chance to witness a real magic legend and to see (or rather 'NOT SEE') his classic pass!

Hope to see you there!

Ben S
Magic, Music & More
422E Westerly Parkway Plaza
State College, PA 16801
814-237-7740

Postby Guest » 03/27/03 08:30 PM

Any news on the Derek Dingle lecture? I remember seeing his lecture back in 1976...Still have the lecture notes. Anyone know if any future lectures are planned?

Postby Guest » 03/28/03 11:18 AM

Any news on the Derek Dingle lecture? I remember seeing his lecture back in 1976...Still have the lecture notes. Anyone know if any future lectures are planned?
I believe this was a special appearance by Derek, owing to Derek's longtime friendship with Magic, Music & More owner John Blake, one of the good guys in magic.

Derek performed over a dozen effects (mostly cards) from The Collected Works of Derek Dingle written by our own Richard Kaufman. (I'd forgotten how much great material is in that book.) He performed effects ranging from the relatively easy, yet very commercial "Amazing Derek Dingle -- that's me -- Jumping Four Card Trick" to some serious knuckle-busting sleight-of-hand. Derek closed with an all-backs routine with a surprise color-changing kicker that totally fried us!

The workshop was an informal jam and story-telling session like a cross between the Videonics taped sessions with Vernon and the book Milo and Roger. Derek taught a couple more effects and fielded questions on a slew of topics ranging from tips on the pass and other sleights, to how he got started in magic, who are his favorite performers, performing for celebrities, handling mishaps, creating new material and developing and improving your act.

All in all, a fun and instructive evening that was definitely worth the trip. John Blake, Ben Salinas and the staff at Magic, Music & More deserve kudos for sponsoring this lecture series, many of whom aren't appearing anywhere else. Their new shop looks great too.

Before I forget, Simon Lovell is at Magic, Music & More tonight. It should be a lot of fun.

Return to Buzz