Ebay / Paypal

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Wolfgang » 10/09/04 08:15 PM

I recently bought a $510 item on ebay (non magic) that I paid via paypal. The seller never shipped the item and never refunded my money. I filed a complaint with paypal and so far they have recovered $220.
Now here is the $ 1.000.000 question: I understood from paypal buyer protection that paypal reimburses you up to $500 so I felt save making the purchase. Did anybody on this forum ever have the same problem with ebay and paypal and did anybody ever take legal action in that regard? Rather than fighting the deep pockets of ebay/ paypal I would like to know if there is a previous case that could be cited?
Since I buy quite some magic on ebay I would like to hear any cases similar to mine and especially like to know how they were resolved. :mad: :confused: :whack:
Wolfgang

Postby Kevin Connolly » 10/09/04 08:37 PM

I had a problem with them too. A guy sent me anitem that was broken and missing a piece. After many emails, I came out on the short end. Ebay/Paypal likes not to get involved. Only when it comes to their fees. You should now contact your credit card company. They should be able to push them along.

I sent Ebay a notice a few days ago of a fake Houdini autograph on Ebay. The seller is using a "letter of authenticity" that Ebay itself has banned. The auction is still going and I never heard a reply from Ebay.

My feelings are that Ebay/Paypal is not your friend. Hopefully some day, there will be a new 800 pound gorilla on the block.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.
Kevin Connolly

Postby Wolfgang » 10/09/04 09:18 PM

Unfortunately paypal took the funds out of my bankaccount, I did not use a cc.
Well maybe there is enough people out there that had problems that a class action suit will be merited......
Wolfgang

Postby Richard Kaufman » 10/10/04 07:53 AM

You want to read some REAL horror stories about PayPal?
Look here: http://www.paypalsucks.com/
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Bill Palmer » 10/11/04 10:54 AM

I'm not a paypal booster, by any means. I feel it only fair to mention that most of the warnings on www.paypalsucks.com were posted before the takeover by eBay.

I have my own horror story with them. Before eBay took them over, apparently they were using prison labor to run their computers. This is a more common practice than you might imagine. I signed up for a PayPal account, and two weeks later, eBay caught someone using my credit card number to register as a seller on eBay.

I cancelled the card, and got a new one before anything untoward happened. I was really leery about setting up a paypal account after that, until eBay purchased PayPal

I haven't had any problems with PayPal since eBay purchased them. But you need to use some common sense. Credit card companies are very reluctant to settle accounts unless there is real fraud involved. So going through them doesn't make much difference, either. Let those feedback ratings guide you.

And don't buy anything from Singapore or Indonesia. There are a number of sellers in both these countries that are notorious for lifting photos from other people's sales and/or web sites and listing the items as their own.

A friend of mine in the banjo business spotted one of his photos on eBay. The idiot who used it simply had a direct link to Dave's site. So Dave modified the photo on his site so it had "This photo stolen from XXXXX Banjo Shop. Seller does not have this item" superimposed on it. That kind of bit into the seller's bids!
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby Dave Egleston » 10/11/04 12:33 PM

Originally posted by WolfgangWollet:
I recently bought a $510 item on ebay (non magic) that I paid via paypal. The seller never shipped the item and never refunded my money. I filed a complaint with paypal and so far they have recovered $220.
Do you know where the seller lives?

Sometimes it is worth some vacation days to go see someone like this in person.

Or at least copy all pertinent information and send it to the local law enforcement where the seller lives.

Personally - I'd take a vacation to the seller's front yard, bet you'd come away with a lot more than $510.00 worth of stuff.

Dave
Dave Egleston

Postby Guest » 10/11/04 12:48 PM

Mr. Connolly:

In Re. The "Houdini" autograph that you mentioned.

Is it the framed one w/2 photographs purportedly from the personal memorabilia collection of a professional wrestler?

Thank you for the "heads up."

Postby Kevin Connolly » 10/11/04 01:45 PM

Yes. It has been cancelled today.

For What Is Worth: If anyone met Houdini personally, you would walk away with more than a clipped signature or a saying on a piece of paper. Those $300-$500(sometimes more or less) Houdini autographs are a real scam. Just my two cents.
Please visit my website.
Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » 10/12/04 02:44 PM

A new phoney was listed today. Let's see how long it takes for Ebay to act.
Please visit my website.
Kevin Connolly

Postby Wolfgang » 10/13/04 05:13 PM

The trip to his yard sounds like my kind of thing, however the "seller" lived in NY and that is across the country from "lost wages'.... I will however look him up next time I am in NY and make remind him about his debth....
Wolfgang

Postby Dave Egleston » 10/13/04 07:52 PM

Well, SWA is running a special - 139 dollars maximum air fare

I have a different take on life I guess - I'll spend a grand to recover 100 dollars from some one might who has stolen from me ......... and I won't even feel bad about the outcome.

Dave
Dave Egleston

Postby Kevin Connolly » 10/15/04 08:27 PM

It took 3 days, but the latest fake Houdini autograph has been shut down.
Please visit my website.
Kevin Connolly

Return to Buzz