NBC to air "Extreme variety" this Weds.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Guest » 10/20/02 05:15 PM

This coming Wednesday (October 23?,2002) NBC will be airing a circus sideshow special featuring everything from sword-swallowers, and cutesy animal acts, to the "bow of death". Also featured is some low rent substitute for Cirque Du Soleil. Tom Cavanaugh is host. I am wondering if this style show is making a come-back? The local upstate radio morning show dudes are having a weekly gong show, to which your's truely took a first place... And, perhaps you are wondering what did ever become of Chuck Barris? He put out a book in the 1980's called Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, whereby he claimed to have been a hitman for the CIA! My wife believes it to be fiction, but he claims it to be loaded with researchable facts...

Postby Guest » 10/21/02 08:31 AM

From the Internet Movie Data Base:

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)

Directed by
George Clooney

Writing credits (WGA)
Chuck Barris (book)
Charlie Kaufman (screenplay)

Genre: Drama / Comedy / Action

Plot Outline: An adaptation of the cult memoir of game show impressario Chuck Barris, in which he purports to have been a CIA hitman.

User Rating: awaiting 5 votes.

Production Notes/Status:

Status Updated: 22 May 2002
Note: Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change or could be removed completely.

Credited cast:
Sam Rockwell .... Chuck Barris
Drew Barrymore .... Penny
Linda Tomassone .... Monica
George Clooney .... CIA Agent Jim Byrd
Julia Roberts .... Patricia Watson
Rutger Hauer .... Keeler
Fred Savage

Postby Guest » 10/21/02 11:34 AM

Also from www.imdb.com:

DAVID REGAL

Actor - filmography

Hoffa (1992) .... Newsman
Rosary Murders, The (1987) .... Father O'Day
Word of Honor (1981) (TV)

Postby Guest » 10/21/02 11:38 AM

A movie, cool! I was at a great Gong Show site last night, it brought back many memories. Google it, I believe it was called Jump The Shark. If there is anybody out there who is under ...say, thirty, you may want to read about this guy, Chuck Barris, and the Gong Show. Remember this was during an era when most cities across the USA only recieved three networks, HBO was just coming into it's own.
When I worked on "Sally", we tried to get Buck Charris, but he never did show... How come this guy is still in hiding today? How many other stars can you name that quit on top of their game? Henning, Rosie, Carson...

Postby Guest » 10/21/02 09:46 PM

Pete -

That's a different David Regal.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 10/21/02 11:32 PM

I just spent the whole day wandering around Disneyland talking with David Regal, but which David Regal was it?
Seriously, David shows up this morning to pick me up from my hotel (the Highland Gardens next to the Castle). Paul Wilson is also staying there.
Regal pulls out a trick he's literally made up a few minutes earlier just before leaving his house: a cardcase which has been cut opened and flattened is shown on BOTH sides, then folded up and a deck is pulled out. He blew us away!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 10/22/02 11:05 AM

Regal pulls out a trick he's literally made up a few minutes earlier just before leaving his house: a cardcase which has been cut opened and flattened is shown on BOTH sides, then folded up and a deck is pulled out. He blew us away!
Sounds like Regal found a nice way to get away from the table for Paul Harris' Dehydrated Deck! I performed Harris' "Hot Chocolate" all the time at college, and killed with it.

Curious,

Adam

Postby Guest » 10/22/02 11:26 AM

David,

Part of the credits are yours. Same thing happened to me -- there's a writer named "Peter McCabe" and one of my TV credits is mixed in with his.

Postby Guest » 10/24/02 10:02 AM

Saw David do this last night at the Castle. It's great. Nothing to do with the Dehydrated deck method -- far as I know this is totally original.

Postby Guest » 10/31/02 06:51 PM

<<Chuck Barris claimed to have been a hitman for the CIA!>>

True -- he was recruited while attending college.

Postby Guest » 11/01/02 05:22 AM

Fox's 30 seconds to Fame ..last night (October 31,2002) claims to be the fastest Variety show, what about VH-1's 15 seconds to fame?
---Sandy, Google search The Gong Show and read the page called "Jump the Shark"... Barris must have been so coked up during this time, I can't believe the CIA didn't know this.

Postby Guest » 11/01/02 09:51 AM

30 seconds to Fame ..last night (October 31,2002) claims to be the fastest Variety show.

Looked like The Gong Show on acid, Max. Once you're in the CIA there is no getting out. That's why Chuckie is now living in the South of France.

Postby Guest » 11/01/02 10:28 AM

Sandy Singer wrote:

Once you're in the CIA there is no getting out.

And the evidence for this statement is...what?

There are plenty of retired CIA agents, some who maintain ties with the Agency and others who simply live their lives. Some have disagreements with the Agency that vary in intensity. Philip Agee named names and got people killed; Frank Snepp had a different take on the "end" of the Vietnam War and wrote a solid book.
That a retired agent may retain his corporate culture, that is he believes in the work he did and maintains contacts with former colleagues does not suggest that one can "never leave the CIA" any more than a retired college professor can "leave" his university.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 11/01/02 09:15 PM

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Old spies go to "The Village."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 11/02/02 06:09 AM

I've never done acid, nor coke, but did spend time in the 80's and 90's....
No, no, no. The Gong Show was the Gong Show on acid. These shows where you have 30 seconds to sweat out an act out are on Meth. I enjoy them, can't figure out why the singers from last week were moved forward.
My agent has landed seven acts on these shows so far!

Return to Buzz