The Restaurant Act - Important Info

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Charlie Chang » 08/02/01 03:48 PM

I received a call today regarding my instructional tape “The Restaurant Act” from my friend Steve Hamilton. After speaking to Steve I was forced to watch myself for over an hour!

What I discovered was that there are two omissions from the final edit of the tape which I would like to correct.

The following credits are missing:

The selection of effects used in the restaurant act belongs to Steve Hamilton. Whilst I believe others have utilised the same effects in their restaurant/professional acts, this particular line up was given by Steve in a lecture he gave to the Scottish Conjuror's Association in (I believe) 1986/7. At that time it was also the same line up of tricks used by Steve. I developed my own handlings and routining from that point. This is a glaring error in the tape and I apologise to Steve unreservedly. Steve and I have discussed this today and he has been his usual gracious self (in American "we is cool")

It should also be pointed out that Steve no longer uses that selection of effects in his professional repertoire. his excellent "Silk and Sponge" routine is available from Profile magazine or Steve's lecture notes and is highly recommended/

Once again I point out that the actual handlings of these classic effects are my own.

A smaller omission is the credit for Bill Goldman. I independently developed the use of the long card as a slide/cover for the load when I first purchased a Kaps wallet. However, Mr. Goldman mentioned the same idea in a lecture in Glasgow a few years ago, and deserved to be mentioned.

Thanks for your time.
Charlie Chang

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/02/01 04:06 PM

You dastardly Scots are always ripping people off! Not a single original idea among you! :p
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 08/15/01 04:42 PM

Totally nothing to do with the above post, but does anyone know if the Profile magazine is still running?

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/15/01 05:15 PM

Peter Duffie would be able to tell us more, but I'm pretty sure that Profile has been kaput for several years.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard James » 08/26/01 06:24 AM

Yes, you are correct Richard.

The final Issue of Profile was Number 18 which was the February 1994 Issue.
Richard James

Postby pduffie » 08/26/01 02:01 PM

Hi

As Richard (J) correctly pointed out, Profile died after 18 issues. There is a 19th issue which lies dormant. Steve Hamilton is currently preparing Profile as PDF format to be sold on CDROM. It will be totally revamped, with corekt speling..

Best Wishes

Peter
pduffie

Postby Guest » 08/26/01 03:17 PM

You dastardly Scots are always ripping people off! Not a single original idea among you!

Richard

If it wisnae for us Scots, you would have neither television, the telephone or Scotch-on-the-rocks !!

AVON :D

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/26/01 10:40 PM

I'm sorry, Avon, but I've never heard of television, radio, or what on the rocks?
You must be one of those people who believes Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. :p
Richard Kaufman

Postby Bill Mullins » 08/27/01 11:34 AM

I thought it was Don Ameche . . .
Bill
Bill Mullins

Return to Buzz