Has The Magic Cafe Vanished?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:16 AM

The Buskers seems to be back and missing many posts. This is what now comes up on the Green Place:

Index of /
Name Last modified Size Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parent Directory 18-Sep-2007 08:53 -
cgi-bin/ 18-Sep-2007 14:12 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at themagiccafe.com Port 80

What does it mean? JR

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:23 AM

It means you are banging your head against a brick wall. For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it.

Trying to get it to come up by putting it into your browser line is a lot like trying to get it to rain by sprinkling water on your garden.

The problem is probably very simple. Anything that's on the internet is subject to the stability of the server it's on. If the server goes down, so does the web site.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:31 AM

It will be back soon, or not. It takes time to resolve conflicts of this nature.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:32 AM

Just visited and it looks a little bit after 2am on January 6th 2007.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:36 AM

Bill, in case no one has ever told you... your analogies are truly superb.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:37 AM

Great! Now we can avoid that whole "crimp change" dialogue! ;)

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:37 AM

The DNS has been resolved now backups must be restored.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 11:40 AM

I have a serious question. Would members here be allowed to contact all the regulars(the ones with good posts) over on the Cafe, and invite them over here? I am curious whether this would be unethical, illegal, or really a rather good idea! JR
This raises a good point... I bet most poster at the MC know of the genii board - so why DON'T they post here?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 09/18/07 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Ouch.

I hope that just means they haven't restored the most recent backups yet. On the other hand, if that is the most recent backup, well...ouch.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 09/18/07 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Iain Hamilton:
so why DON'T they post here?
Yikes! Not this discussion again!

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Rick Ruhl » 09/18/07 11:45 AM

Yeah I had a 'new' PM from Bob Sanders, but it was from back in January.

As someone who's worked online since 1979 and helped create MSN in 1999....take my advice!

DO DAILY BACKUPS.. NO EXCUSES.

[Off of soapbox]
Rick Ruhl

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 12:08 PM

It appears it is back...

And I also just received a "new" message that was sent on January 6th, 2007

Postby Rick Ruhl » 09/18/07 12:11 PM

If the hosting companies last backup was January and they didnt have the websites on mirrored drives, then they are the dumbest morons on the planet.

This is why I host my websites on MY PERSONAL servers that I CAN TOUCH. Just give me bandwidth. But you cannot have my data on your server! LOL
Rick Ruhl

Postby Pete Biro » 09/18/07 12:17 PM

OH BOY, what a mess. Looks like we's gotta start all over again. Tsk, tsk! :eek:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 12:20 PM

"For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it."

Bill, my friend.... I have no idea what gives you the impression that I am "worried" about it! I am simply curious as to what is going on over there, as are many others! JR

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 12:24 PM

The cafe says I don't exist... :(

Postby Rick Ruhl » 09/18/07 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
OH BOY, what a mess. Looks like we's gotta start all over again. Tsk, tsk! :eek:
Things like this make people lose confidence in a discussion board.

Personally, I'd like to see Genii Forum on it's own server in Richard's office, so he could do the daily backups, and have it all on a mirrored drive. So that if it fails, you dont have to rely on the hosting company for backup. You have the mirrored drive (instant recovery) and the tape backup if both drives failed.
Rick Ruhl

Postby Kevin Connolly » 09/18/07 12:41 PM

Originally posted by podcastrant:
The cafe says I don't exist... :(
Me too. The link for the new password is still down.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.
Kevin Connolly

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 12:43 PM

Kevin,

I was joking. Sorta like, "But I do exist, I'm typing this!" Anyway, bad joke.

If you weren't a member prior to Jan, like me, you can't log on at the moment.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Jolly Roger:
"For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it."

Bill, my friend.... I have no idea what gives you the impression that I am "worried" about it! I am simply curious as to what is going on over there, as are many others! JR
What gives me the impression that you are "worried" about it is that you started this nonsensical thread in the first place!

Rick:

The expense of having your own server is probably more than you realize. You not only need a server, but you need a T 1 connection to keep the bandwidth moving.

A good server leasing company will perform nightly backups of all of your material, so the longest time you will be down would be about 12 hours.

As far as this causing people to "lose faith in a discussion board" -- be real. It's a BBS. That's it. That's all it is.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 01:08 PM

"What gives me the impression that you are "worried" about it is that you started this nonsensical thread in the first place!"

Bill.............you may think this is a nonsensical thread, which is fine. Nobody is asking you to participate. However, it is apparant that many are finding it quite interesting. We may all learn something from this fiasco! JR

Postby John McDonald » 09/18/07 01:21 PM

I think the Cafe is going to turn up soon at the back of the theatre in a minute under a spotlight blowing a whistle ....
Best John
John McDonald

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 01:38 PM

It's shown back up, just nine months in the past.

Jeff

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 02:23 PM

The Buskers Cafe disappeared too. They're both hosted by the same ISP, and they both have reverted back to January of this year. Given enough time I hope that both of them are restored back to their current condition.

Postby Rick Ruhl » 09/18/07 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:

Rick:

The expense of having your own server is probably more than you realize. You not only need a server, but you need a T 1 connection to keep the bandwidth moving.

I do have my own server and my own T1. I do know the costs ;) . It's cheaper and better for me in the long run to host it on my own servers, than trust someone at an ISP to do it.

The servers sit next to me here, and the Cisco is right over there, next to it is the CSU/DSU ;)

T1's are running about $525 a month here in the south, including the local loop.
Rick Ruhl

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Originally posted by magicalaurie:
[b]
Could I get the rest in english, too, please? ;)
"This call can not be completed as dialed."

-Jim [/b]
Hey, thanks, Jim.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/18/07 03:36 PM

Our website is hosted by a company that does frequent backups. It's never a problem.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
For someone who was banned from the caf, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it.

Actually he's probably not banned anymore.
Since the Caf thinks it's January 2007 he can probably log in, unless of course he was banned before that date.

Postby Larry Barnowsky » 09/18/07 03:59 PM

The Cafe is partially back up. It appears they are rebuilding the site. There are posts and advertisement banners from January 2007. My coin book banner (21st Century Coin Mechanics)is now running instead of my new book (KOTR). Anyway, they should be be up and running soon.

Larry :genii:
The Book of Destiny
barnowskymagic.com
Larry Barnowsky

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 04:06 PM

"Actually he's probably not banned anymore.
Since the Caf thinks it's January 2007 he can probably log in, unless of course he was banned before that date."

Unfortunately, Payne, I believe I was banned in December 2006. I am therefore unable to post over there! How are you, my friend? JR

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 04:46 PM

I am with Bill on this one. As soon as I saw Jolly Roger beeing the poster on the cafe issue I had a mental image of a blood hungry vulture circling above a death body.

Thankfully the cafe is not dead although it has been hit pretty badly. I spoke with Steve today and it seems that aside from the server crash the company that took money for mirroring the cafe had mistakes in their back-up software and the back-ups were not done correctly after January of this year (or not at all).

I think this would be a good time to thank Steve Brooks for providing the board free of charge for 32000 magicians and wish him speedy recovery for the site that many of us enjoy. I can only imagine the workload he has cut out for him.

As to the vultures: Go back to your caves.... :whack:

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 05:02 PM

"I am with Bill on this one. As soon as I saw Jolly Roger beeing the poster on the cafe issue I had a mental image of a blood hungry vulture circling above a death body."

Please enlighten me as to what on earth you are referring, or of what I am being accused? Thanks! JR

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 05:30 PM

I believe The Magic Cafe has a topic section entitled ... "Everything old is new again"

Apparently, this applies to the forum too :D
Jim

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 05:32 PM

Sure I will elaborate:

Here is where I agree with Bill....
Bill Palmer wrote "...For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it. ...."

You beeing the first poster on this topic might have gone thru as a real question but then adding the spitefull remark
"Maybe this is a good time to lure everyone over to Genii!! JR " showed your real motives....

Back in Germany we had a saying that went somewhere along the lines "that you should not kick somebody who is down for the count"

You have been banned from the cafe (which I can not comment on as I do not know the reasons and do not care either way} and now you are gloating that they are having trouble... just does not look good to me.

Postby Roger M. » 09/18/07 05:39 PM

They've now stated on the Cafe that January it is. There were no more back-ups run after that date. (although this information may be lacking in accuracy because it doesn't look like they know what's really going on yet).

Information posted after January 2007 is gone for good. The Cafe is still running at half speed with no ability for new posts, PM's, or password changes you may have requested since January.

All of the pending magic deals (I hope you remember who you bought or sold from this past month!) are gone with the rest of the information.

The only thing missing is some sort of post from Steve Brooks speaking to the 30,000 Cafe users who are probably wondering why he hasn't said anything yet. This is when you've got to say something to your loyal users.....it's pretty standard for the Boss to get up on the podium and say something after a disaster.

The story being told by the Cafe is that the backups were being paid for, but they weren't being run. How accurate this is remains to be seen. It seems a very simple explanation that in this day and age represents either gross negligence on the part of whoever was supposed to back data up, or simple misinformation.

To call this a devastating situation for the Cafe and Steve Brooks would be an understatement although one might safely guess that the "Green Machine" will rise from the ashes.

Whether it will be the same cocky 10,000 pound gorilla again only time will tell, but I suspect it will begin to look as it used to within a month or two.
Roger M.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 05:44 PM

Did anyone save Steve Dusheck's posts after some folks decided to start selling his copper silver transposition without getting his permission... as if it were a new item?

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 05:50 PM

Unfortunately, log in doesn't seem to be working for me (it generates a "You entered the wrong password. Please go back and try again." message). It's happening to be both me and my son (on his account)... although I notice that a few people seem to have been able to post there today. Is this happening to anyone else?

Postby Roger M. » 09/18/07 05:54 PM

I'm guessing, but if your account was created after January 2007, you're likely not in the system as it was backed up, and you may not have an account.

If you've changed your password since January 2007 you may be able to log in under your old password. Your new one doesn't exist yet.

If you're logged in, DON'T log out!
Roger M.

Postby Guest » 09/18/07 06:10 PM

If you know where to look, you will find this post from the Chief of Staff:

"Unfortunately, unbeknownst to us, back ups were not being run. The last one was in January. Consequently, the Caf can only be restored from that point back. We understand that this means many of your posts have vanished reducing you post count. More importantly, a lot of valuable information has been lost."

Personally, I enjoy both The Genii Forum and the Magic Cafe. Two different types of forms. I'm saddened to think that some good info has been lost.

Terry

Postby Todd Lassen » 09/18/07 06:26 PM

U3F2 banner has vanished, and why do I have this Muck Fayne T-shirt on?
Todd Lassen

Next

Return to Buzz