So, do some magicians really have a death wish?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/21/02 07:48 PM

The thought comes to mind every so often that lots of magicians seem to have a death wish ... or is it just a lot of fake baloney and publicity. What do you think?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 09/21/02 09:30 PM

The thought comes to mind every so often that lots of magicians seem to have a death wish

Richard,
If this is true...wouldn't it be nice to see some succeed :) !

Postby MaxNY » 09/23/02 08:00 AM

Crazy Joe, (the Self Made Cemented Man) from out West certainly had a death wish, any man with half a brain knows that water weighs plenty, and 1/4" plexi-glass...not that strong.
I also believe the FISM guy had/has a death wish, you can't simply glue the seams of plexi-glass together, there needs to be some sort of L shaped sides...
Blaine's Brooklyn bridge preview was pure suicide.
Any possum who pulls from the bottom of the deck, in any high stakes game...playing with your life.
MaxNY

Postby Guest » 09/27/02 09:12 PM

I think that some ppl have a death wish, that masked magician guy certainly seems to want to suffer atleast some form of physical pain, and others simply want the publicity that follows those that seem crazy.

Postby Curtis Kam » 09/28/02 06:36 PM

Well there are those who, against all common sense and experience, insist on making a living by publishing a magic magazine, no matter how many times they've sworn off it.
Curtis Kam

Postby Guest » 09/29/02 07:44 PM

I would have to go with the latter. I think it is mostly an act (and sometimes a bout of stupidity).

Blaine is a perfect example. In interviews, he stays completely in character. And thats what it is, a character. When you realize he isn't simply doing stunts, but magic, his character comes to light. When he talks about how he wanted to do it to challenge death or to challenge fear, but you know he was doing more than meets the eye, it illegitimatizes his character.

Let me put it another way. If he REALLY wanted to cheat death, he would do straight stunts, not illusions guised as stunts.

But I do commend him for staying in character.

As for some simply being ignorant, let me retell a story I recently aquired from my friend and mentor Andy Dallas. Someone was doing an escape from within something on fire. Andy enquired as to what type of oxygen supply he was going to use. The fellow said, Huh?

Andy explained that he would need oxygen because the fire would use all the air. The other gentleman said, Oh. I didnt think of that.

The escape was scheduled for 2 from that day.

I am sure there are some magicians out there with a death wish of sorts, but there are also many accountants, clerks, and lawyers that have the same.

Just my thoughts. Cheers.

Return to Buzz