Keep your political opinions to yourself, please!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/15/02 04:27 PM

I've just deleted that thread with the idiotic rant from Ted Nugent's wife. Please ... shall we ask the person serving coffee at Starbucks for their opinion on the state of the state, too?
KEEP POLITICAL VIEWS OFF THIS BOARD.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Pete Biro » 08/15/02 06:31 PM

Waht was the method? :mad:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Dustin Stinett » 08/15/02 06:47 PM

I'm not sure, but it had something to do with a "gaping whole" - whatever that is.
Dustin Stinett

Postby Guest » 08/15/02 08:39 PM

Please ... shall we ask the person serving coffee at Starbucks for their opinion on the state of the state, too?
I'm confident the Barista's discourse would be somewhat better developed than Ms. Nugent's.

--Randy Campbell

Postby Terry » 08/16/02 07:06 AM

I guess censorship reigns supreme here. First of all, Mrs. Nugent's views were more patriotic than anything else. I guess we can return to the typical accusations and threats that is usually discussed.
Terry

Postby Brian Morton » 08/16/02 08:56 AM

I'm sorry, Richard, but I can't let this one go by.

Terry, this bulletin board is a privately-owned enterprise. Only governments censor. As a long-time journalist I'm used to people not making the distinction.

Secondly, speaking as a veteran, let me say that one can discuss patriotism without making political cracks about people with whom one politically does not agree. "Patriotism" is respect and honor for one's country, not sneaking in cheap political cracks under the rubric of love of country. I guess if I want to criticize the current president, to you, that would be "unpatriotic."

And on top of all of it, this is a magic discussion board. If you want to post stuff like that, may I suggest the Free Republic web site, where your views will be welcomed with open arms. Here, they're just completely off-topic.

That is why your post was out of line, pal.

brian :mad:
Brian Morton

Postby Dustin Stinett » 08/16/02 09:37 AM

Perfectly said Brian. Think of it this way, Terry. If you get to talk about politics (a subject I enjoy discussing, by the way) on a magic discussion board, then I get to talk about the looming baseball strike. :mad:

It's not censorship at all. It's a matter of when and, more to the point, where.

Dustin
(Republican Baseball Fan)
Dustin Stinett

Postby Earle Oakes » 08/16/02 03:40 PM

Brian Wendell Morton,

Well done! Thank you for a post that is right on the mark.

Earle
Earle Oakes

Postby Guest » 08/17/02 03:58 PM

I remember a posting a made on a clown email newsletter about a whole lot of very patriotic ultra racist ani Afghani sentiment. I was very polite and pointed out that clowns are supposed to make people happy not hate filled.

I was torn to shreds by the other readers. In these forums it is best to keep politics out of it because people soon get off the topic at hand.

Postby Guest » 08/17/02 10:07 PM

Let me make sure I understand: We can't talk about our political opinions, we can only talk about talking about our political opinions? :D

Postby Brian Marks » 08/17/02 10:46 PM

There a million places to voice a political opinion. A magic website should only refer to magic unless were talking about a presentaiopn of a trick or using magic for a poilitical purpose.
Brian Marks

Postby Guest » 08/17/02 11:13 PM

Now that everyone has posted their opinions on the post that was deleted, how about you all practice what you preach and start talking Magic instead of carrying on about the same BS. It makes no sense to reply to someone else's post saying, "you are absolutley right." then carrying on to support why they are right, which is basically what was stated in the previous post that was replied too. Let it go, move on, and let's focus on Magic.

Trini

Postby Guest » 08/18/02 09:46 AM

"Hello pot? Its Trini, you're black."

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/18/02 12:10 PM

I think we all get the point. Topic closed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to General