Small Audience? What to do?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Pete Biro » 11/25/02 04:17 PM

The Cellini thread reminded me of a show I was working in... it was produced in San Francisco by a bloke with a TV Series, Ron Magers. Show was called "Electric Impressions" and featured rock groups, variety acts and misc. subjects.

He decided to produce a live show, rented a place and bot 14 of us to put a show together.

Curtain opened and there were two, count 'em two people in the audience (a nightclub).

So we go on as if the joint was full.

I get to a trick where I need two people to come up to help. Naturally I ask the two people.

Get to a point and a gag comes to mind. I say, "OK, now I'll hold the props, you run out in the audience and see how it looks, then come back and we'll finish."

Then I said, "Oh, when you go back, sit at a different table, we want the cleaning crew to think we had a bigger crowd."

SECOND NIGHT....

Curtain opens, Two people in audience.

When I get them up I asked how did you find out about the show?

They said, "Our friends were here last night and they told me it was a great show!" :p :cool: :eek: :( :eek: :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete McCabe » 11/25/02 05:53 PM

Bravo!

One Wednesday night at the Castle, there were exactly five people to see Whit Hayden's midnight show. The MC told us he wasn't sure there would be a show, he'd have to ask Whit.

Whit's reply was an immediate "Of course!" and the show was on. I'm pretty sure everyone in the audience picked a card at some point.

It was a great show, by the way. How could it not be? We all totally loved Whit before he even stepped on stage.
Pete McCabe

Postby Pete Biro » 11/25/02 06:07 PM

Whit Happens! :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Ross Johnson » 11/26/02 08:15 AM

Working at Chicago's Palyboy Club in 1976. Big Snowstorm (real snow/not confetti). Five people in the audience. A couple in heat and three Japanese businessmen who spoke no English. The show went on. Where is Max Maven when you need him? What memories.
Ross Johnson

Postby Kendrix » 11/27/02 08:57 PM

I have a business partner who formed a local rock group. There first gig only one person showed up. They played for an hour and twenty minutes for her alone. After the show was over, one of the guys talked to her and found out her name, "Gerrie Davis". They have called their group the "Gerrie Davis Band" for the last 6 years and 2 CD's.
Kendrix

Return to Buzz