“Card Flourish” Commercial

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Dustin Stinett » 11/21/06 06:19 PM

I saw a commercial on the tube last night for a treo/blackberry type thing called a BlackJack. What was interesting about it was the CGI hands doing card flourishes with the gizmo. (It would break into several pieces, like a pack of cards, and then go back into a single gizmo. That being the point: The gizmo can do all these marvelous things.)

There were one-handed cuts, twirls, and those Sybil type cuts that make my hands hurt just watching them.

I havent bothered to search You-Tube or Google Videos; Ill leave that to a more enterprising person. Besides, Im off to my date with the Coffee Klatch Gang.

Dustin

PS: I think it's a Samsung product.
Dustin Stinett

Postby Guest » 11/21/06 07:23 PM

Any videotaped copy, or DVD that finds it's way to my paws will recieve an hour of magic commercials on DVD as reward, Magicbymax.com.

Postby Jeff Haas » 11/21/06 11:44 PM

That would be the Samsung Blackjack, the latest entry in the thin smart phone category.

Review here:
Samsung Blackjack on PhoneScoop

Currently available on Cingular:
Cingular website - look at bottom for Blackjack
Jeff Haas

Postby Guest » 11/30/06 08:37 PM

Here's a copy of the ad from YouTube. Looks great... I'd love to know who's hands they used to 3D model the animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAMN1pF_0Io

Postby Pete Biro » 11/30/06 08:39 PM

Beautifully done. Someone that really knows card handling had to be involved.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 11/30/06 10:19 PM

Very cool. Those moves, however skillful and lovely and rarely seen by laymen, have become almost cliched among us. Now, just think, anyone doing them in the future may be seen as knocking off a Samsung/Cingular commercial .

Postby Guest » 12/01/06 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Michael Kamen:
Very cool. Those moves, however skillful and lovely and rarely seen by laymen, have become almost cliched among us. Now, just think, anyone doing them in the future may be seen as knocking off a Samsung/Cingular commercial .
Thank goodness. That and the nervous tic card spinning can distract from good magic.

Postby Guest » 12/01/06 11:53 AM

Originally posted by oakes:
Here's a copy of the ad from YouTube. Looks great... I'd love to know who's hands they used to 3D model the animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAMN1pF_0Io
I heard it was Dan and Dave Buck.

Phil

Postby Guest » 12/01/06 07:24 PM

Well, you heard wrong. It wasn't the Buck brothers (although many people think so).

Postby Guest » 12/01/06 10:57 PM

The Buck brothers are much better than that. However, I believe that it is using some of their material.

Postby Guest » 12/10/06 09:13 PM

This commercial was put together by a young man named Kiel Figgins and a cast of animators. They used a couple of clips from decknique. No Dan and Dave Buck. Heres a link to the way it came about. http://decknique.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1321.

Return to Buzz