Jennings 67

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Ryan Matney

Jennings 67

Postby Ryan Matney » July 22nd, 2001, 1:01 am

I'm not sure how "Jenning's 67" sold, but it is one of my favorites from Kaufman And Company. Seems kind of overlooked, but thier are some really nice effects and handlings in there.
I'm trying very hard to ask about the other volumes...... ;) uhhhh....Any of you guys seen Jurassic Park 3?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Jennings 67

Postby Matthew Field » July 22nd, 2001, 11:28 am

When i called "Jennings '67" one of my 10 feavorite books, in a column written by David Acer in Genii some time ago, David asked me to elaborate and I did. He just didn't get it. (I still love him, though.)

Richard SWEARS the Jennings "Easy" book s almost finihed, right Richard?

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 11:46 am

"Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy," is almost 300 finished pages at the momentthat's without any illustrations. I have only 12 more items to write, however it's been that way for about a year since my last "two-week" push to get it finished. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 22nd, 2001, 1:03 pm

Matt,
Interesting. I remember the David Acer article. I would also put "jennings 67" in my top 10, maybe even top 5. To me, its just a FUN book to read. We could do another topic here on what you think is Kaufman and Company's most under-rated book.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2001, 3:18 am

Talk about fun to read, An Evening at the Tom Foolery has to be one of my all-time favorite reads. Richard takes painstaking steps to capture with incredible accuracy Tom Mullica's complete act behind the bar... and MORE!

Way to go! ;)

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » August 12th, 2001, 9:49 am

Can't wait to see Mr. Jennings takes it easy. Will it contain any of his work with the Larry Jennings Wallet and the Mullica Wallet? I dig Card-to-Wallet routines, so I sort of hope so. :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2001, 3:40 pm

Yes, there is some of Larry's material with the Jennings Wallet in Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy--unless I take it out because the damn book is too big.
I have one really fabulous routine!
I don't have any tricks from Jennings using the Mullica Wallet ... I don't recall seeing him use it. Larry LIKED to palm cards!
Personally, I don't care for the Mullica Wallet--why would anyone who can palm a card?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 10:34 am

There are some wallet tricks in THE CARDWRIGHT...Speaking of that book, what is the general feeling about it? I mean, CLASSIC MAGIC is great, and so is JENNINGS 67. But you don't hear much about THE CARDWRIGHT. How do you rate it Richard? Everyone?
And any update on the next volumes in the trilogy? Please don't leave anything good out just because the book is too big! You remember GREATER MAGIC, and THE COLLECTED ALMANAC and CARD CRAFT!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 6th, 2003, 12:17 pm

THE CARDWRIGHT is my favorite simply because it contains Slow Motion Larry, his version of Vernon's Slow Motion Four Aces. That is my favorite Larry Jennings trick in his published hardbacks. That favorite will change when Richard publishes Magicana. There are some terrific Larry Jennings tricks in there. The "Charlie Miller years" currently reside on my bedroom shelf in two large binders and are referred to often. And of course I have high hopes for Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 6th, 2003, 12:37 pm

Richard Kaufman says:

Personally, I don't care for the Mullica Wallet--why would anyone who can palm a card?
Well, I have to admit that my favorite handling for the card to wallet is to Gambler's cop the card, then put the deck down, then use a Mullica wallet to produce the copped card.

To me this is the best of both worlds: I can show my hand empty before removing the wallet (or leave the wallet on the table) and I can avoid having to bring the wallet in contact with the deck.

I mentioned this in passing at the Castle a while ago, and someone (I think it was Andrew Goldenhersh) thought I was crazy to use a palm with a Mullica. Maybe I am. But what other method combines the openness of leaving your wallet on the table with the cleanliness of not have to bring the wallet in contact with the deck?

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 4:40 pm

Crazy? Sounds really smart to me, Pete.

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » March 7th, 2003, 10:04 pm

67 is great. I have to say that I always know I am getting way more than my money's worth when I buy one of Mr. Kaufmans books.

Same with Genii.

Sincerely,

Randy

PS "I am sooo jonesin for the next Jennings book."

Return to “Kaufman & Company”