Dovetail Shuffle

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 05/21/02 05:43 PM

What is the Dovetail Shuffle that the 'old' books refer to? I am guessing it is a type of Riffle Shuffle. I have all four Card College volumes - if this helps.
Thanks
Stuart Chalmers

Postby Bill Duncan » 05/21/02 06:27 PM

A quick web (Google) search turns up a number of references to an article on using riffle shuffles to randomize the order of a pack of cards.
It's title is:
"Trailing the dovetail shuffle to its lair"
Authors: D. Bayer, P. Diaconis
Bill Duncan

Postby Matthew Field » 05/22/02 08:12 AM

The Dovetail Shuffle is a riffle shuffle with the cards' short ends butted together, performed in the hands or tabled. "Trailing the Dovetail Shuffle to its Lair" by Bayer and Diaconis was an article about how a Dovetail Shuffle does not truly randomize the cards, no matter how many times it is done. The title is, of course, a take-off on "Trailing the Faro Shuffle to its Lair" (by Charles Jordan, if I'm not mistaken, which I might be).

Matthew Field
Matthew Field

Postby Pete Biro » 05/22/02 12:47 PM

Ricky Jay and I attended a lecture by Prof. Diaconis at Stanford some time ago... and the subject was the order of cards after shuffling.

It was INCREDIBLE... Persi did effects neither Ricky or I had ever seen or heard of.

Theoretically it was all mathematics (he's a Professor of statistics and probability) but we knew he was doing some sleight-of-hand and gypsying in some coolers...

Anyway, after the lecture (which included several six foot long math formulas on the white board) a mathematician from Japan said to Persi, "Professor Diaconis, I believe on trick number 17 you must, some how, have UNSHUFFLED the cards."

Heheheheheh... tooo cooool... :D

Maybe some day I should write about Persi's first visit to Jack MacMillen. Nah... too too too unbelievable...

Stay tooned, 'til Roc gets Pate from a DUCK. :eek:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Sean Macfarlane » 05/22/02 03:02 PM

Persi Diaconis must be something else, having studied under Vernon and travelling with him for 2 years as a boy. Its too bad he doesn't want to share with the world the secrets that he has learned. Why is that? Does he believe that is is better this way, is there anyone worthy out there of this material and finesses. Do any of you guys believe that the things that Persi knows that we don't should be shared or forever kept secret. I would love to learn more about Henry Christ and his magic....what magician wouldn't really? Oh well, I'm just rambling on.
Sean Macfarlane

Return to General